Car vibrates strong when idling - Need Advice

skylineRR

Hi, I'm a new user to this forum (less than 10 posts), not able to start a new topic. So I just post it over here....

Need some advice from the experts here  - Car vibrates when idle.

When my car is at idling state, I can feel strong vibration. It didn't vibrate continuously during idle, it just come and go for a while (lasted abt 2-3 secs). Whenever the vibration came, I noticed the alternator output voltage will drop ard 13V (read from dashboad voltmeter). This problem always happen whenever my car came to a stop. The vibration more obvious during raining days.

Last Tue morning even worse, when I cold start the car, the vibration happen again. This time the vibration can be felt even stronger (lasted about 5 secs). I quickly stepped on the accelerator to increase the rpm (under Park mode), the vibration eventually went away. And this time I noticed when it vibrate, the alternator output voltage dropped slightly below 13V. (when cold start engine output voltage hit 14V, and then within a few secs, it dropped to ard 13V)

I send to AD for a checkup, They said have to change the whole sets of ignition coil (x4). They didnt explain much to me more details. Before that, I asked them to check my alternator as well, they said my alternator is ok. I just had my car battery changed 2 months ago.

What would be the possible cause? Is it really the ignition coil problem? I would like to seek some advice from the experts here. Btw, my car is Nissan Latio (2005). Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Sorry to hijack this thread as I'm a new user to this forum (less than 10 posts), not able to start a new topic.

Need some advice urgently from the experts here - Car vibrates when idle.

I'm driving Nissan Latio (2005). When my car is at idling state, I can feel strong vibration. It didn't vibrate continuously during idle, it just come and go for a while (last about 2-3 secs). Whenever the vibration came, I noticed the alternator output voltage will drop ard 13V (read from dashboad voltmeter). This problem always happen whenever my car came to a stop. The vibration more obvious during raining days.

Last Tue morning even worse, when I cold start the car, the vibration happen again. This time the vibration can be felt even stronger (lasted about 5 secs). I quickly stepped on the accelerator to increase the rpm (under Park mode), the vibration eventually went away. And this time I noticed when it vibrate, the alternator output voltage dropped slightly below 13V. (when cold start engine output voltage hit 14V, and then within a few secs, it dropped to ard 13V)

I send to Tan Chong for a checkup, They said have to change the whole sets of ignition coil (x4). They didnt explain much to me more details. Before that, I asked them to check my alternator as well, they said my alternator is ok. I just had my car battery changed 2 months ago.

What would be the possible cause? Is it really the ignition coil problem? I would like to seek some advice from the experts here. Now I'm in dilemma should I change the ignition coil or observe it for time being? Thanks.

It sounds like an ignition coil problem. Nissan Latio and Sylphy are notorious for having ignition coil failure around the 10 year mark.

I had a similar vibration issue and a computerised diagnosis pin-pointed to a number 2 coil failure. True enough, when the coil was taken out, I could see that it was damaged.

I changed all my 4 ignition coils. I sourced my own oem coils and original Nissan spark plugs online and went to a recommended workshop to change.

Total cost is $300 including labour. I reckon I saved quite a lot. Pm me if you would like more details.

Edited by SWong
  • Praise 2

If your car has (ignition) coil-on-plug, it's common for it to go bad after certain km.

Just change all out at one shot. Otherwise, if you change one only, the next failure will come one at a time and will make you very busy.

• Praise 1

I send to AD for a checkup, They said have to change the whole sets of ignition coil (x4). They didnt explain much to me more details. Before that, I asked them to check my alternator as well, they said my alternator is ok. I just had my car battery changed 2 months ago.

The alternator voltage reading drops because your RPM drops(which has caused the vibration), so the alternator voltage drops is a effect, not the cause of the problem.   And the workshop(AD) might be correct that it could be the ignition coil(or cables). they can easily measure the impedance of the cables to know if the cable conditions are bad.  

Edited by Ct3833

check engine mountings

Engine mounting will not cause intermittent vibration, and wont cause RPM to drop and further resulting in alternator voltage to drop.

• Praise 1

Last time my Nissan Cefiro 230jm also had ignition coil issues. Since u car bought in 2005, assuming yr Coe renew another 5 years, ur left with another 2-3 years. Change brand new ones also not cheap.

I suppose for yr latio, access to the ignition coils shouldn't be too difficult. For budget wise, u can try from scrap yard? If u want hassle free from yr coils then change new ones.

Last time my Nissan Cefiro 230jm also had ignition coil issues. Since u car bought in 2005, assuming yr Coe renew another 5 years, ur left with another 2-3 years. Change brand new ones also not cheap.

I suppose for yr latio, access to the ignition coils shouldn't be too difficult. For budget wise, u can try from scrap yard? If u want hassle free from yr coils then change new ones.

ignition coil and cables add up is probably less than $500 , it does not justify to change car just because  of ignition coil can cables deterioration. But if money is not an issue then it is a different discussion. 

ignition coil and cables add up is probably less than $500 , it does not justify to change car just because of ignition coil can cables deterioration. But if money is not an issue then it is a different discussion.

I mean can try to find coils from scrap yard.

For a start, try changing your spark plugs if you haven't done so. Cheapest but yet a very very crucial part. Friend had some GB issues, went a few workshops different diagnosis. Say overhaul GB this and that. Then later dunno who told him try changing plugs. VOILA! hee

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

many sg workshop mechanic are all half cook technical knowledge. anyhow bomb. try to arrest the problem one by one by reading other owner's experience and learn from there. than you wont waste hard earn money.

• Praise 1

At the same time while change coil, change the engine mountings. Bad mountings magnify the vibration caused by coil misfire. If you have renewed COE, might as well enjoy a smoother ride. 

The best assistance and reasons on why your car vibrates when idling could be offered by the user manual of your vehicle. Just consult the user manual and get the reasons for your car’s idling vibrations.

And suppose if you do not possess the user manual, you could still get a copy of it for free. Visit manuals.co and offer information about your car’s model. Following this, you could download the car manual in a pdf format.

https://manuals.co/

Neutral Newbie

Hi. Does anyone owns a hyundai avante 2008-2010 that can start a thread here. Thanks

↡ Advertisement