Traffic Offence saying I did an abrupt lane change can I appeal?

Sunnydays-006

Hi TS, symphatize with your situation. This is my first ever post as I have been a bystander reading the forum topics. All seniors pardon me if I make any mistake in my posting.

My case happened about 4 years back. I was sending my colleague back around 11pm and was along those neighbourhood 1 lane road. Just before my colleague carpark about 10m before entrance, there is a traffic light junction which was red light. I stopped and waited for the traffic to turn green but after almost 2-3 minutes it did not turn green so I presume traffic light spoiled. I moved off and turn into the carpark.

Unluckily a neighbourhood police car was patrolling on the opposite direction. They followed me to my colleague block and motioned for me to off my engine and pass them my IC and driving license. I explained to the SSGT that I moved off as I believed the traffic light is spoiled. He told me sorry he cant do anything because if he did not stopped me, other motorist will complain they are not doing their job. I told him its quite obvious that the traffic light is spoiled. And you are asking the 2 NSF to marshall the traffic and you were calling TP HQ to update the situation.

I was pissed off as I dont understand his rational. He still said sorry just wait for TP letter and appeal. After he took my particulars, I went over and took a video of the spoiled traffic light with the 2 NSF marshalling the traffic. I left shortly after.

About 15 minutes later, an ATS traffic serviceman came to repair the lights and I told my colleague that stayed near by to take photos and video of that ATS van.

About a month later, I received a letter from TP about my case. I immediately appealed. While appealing, I emailed ATS traffic to confirm that there was a serviceman that repaired that particular traffic light.

The appeal failed and I re-appealed with screenshot of the reply from ATS. And I’m sure you would have guessed that it failed too. I proceeded to head over to TP HQ to appeal to the Officer there and was told she cant do anything and if you dont want to pay the $200 fine and 12 demerit points, go attend court to fight my case.

I went to court with all the screnshots, appeal letters and photos of the case to present my unfair case by myself. And I went there a total of 4 times each time the TP officer told the Judge they are still in the midst of investigation. The 4th time I attended court, they acquitted me of all charges and reinstate my 12 points.

It was a hassle as it dragged for about 6-8 months. But I told myself I have to fight this case as I did not purposely beat the red light as I stopped and waited for awhile before acertaining to drive off.

All the best TS if you choose to fight your case!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 29

An example.

âWhile driving at lane 2 say speed is 60km/h ( stuck behind lorry )

âWanted to change to lane 1 to overtake..

âHere's the thing, after the 1st car in 1st lane pass me, there is about 4 car gap. 1st lane car travel at say estimated at 90 to 100km/h.

âSo after 1st car passed me in lane 1, the 4 car gap is it enough to change from lane 2 to lane 1 with 30Km/h speed difference?

âTS go think about it, will you lane change?

If ans is yes, you may need to reflect in your driving style, coz this definitely will cause 1st lane car behind to brake hard.

âIf ans is no, then good.. Quite a safe driver.

We are making assumption on TS driving style. Give him the benefit of doubt.

The debate should be whether we can be charge in court without present of concrete evidence.

In modern era this should not be the case. There are camera everywhere. Even on Lamp post.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

Hi TS, symphatize with your situation. This is my first ever post as I have been a bystander reading the forum topics. All seniors pardon me if I make any mistake in my posting.

My case happened about 4 years back. I was sending my colleague back around 11pm and was along those neighbourhood 1 lane road. Just before my colleague carpark about 10m before entrance, there is a traffic light junction which was red light. I stopped and waited for the traffic to turn green but after almost 2-3 minutes it did not turn green so I presume traffic light spoiled. I moved off and turn into the carpark.

Unluckily a neighbourhood police car was patrolling on the opposite direction. They followed me to my colleague block and motioned for me to off my engine and pass them my IC and driving license. I explained to the SSGT that I moved off as I believed the traffic light is spoiled. He told me sorry he cant do anything because if he did not stopped me, other motorist will complain they are not doing their job. I told him its quite obvious that the traffic light is spoiled. And you are asking the 2 NSF to marshall the traffic and you were calling TP HQ to update the situation.

I was pissed off as I dont understand his rational. He still said sorry just wait for TP letter and appeal. After he took my particulars, I went over and took a video of the spoiled traffic light with the 2 NSF marshalling the traffic. I left shortly after.

About 15 minutes later, an ATS traffic serviceman came to repair the lights and I told my colleague that stayed near by to take photos and video of that ATS van.

About a month later, I received a letter from TP about my case. I immediately appealed. While appealing, I emailed ATS traffic to confirm that there was a serviceman that repaired that particular traffic light.

The appeal failed and I re-appealed with screenshot of the reply from ATS. And I’m sure you would have guessed that it failed too. I proceeded to head over to TP HQ to appeal to the Officer there and was told she cant do anything and if you dont want to pay the $200 fine and 12 demerit points, go attend court to fight my case.

I went to court with all the screnshots, appeal letters and photos of the case to present my unfair case by myself. And I went there a total of 4 times each time the TP officer told the Judge they are still in the midst of investigation. The 4th time I attended court, they acquitted me of all charges and reinstate my 12 points.

It was a hassle as it dragged for about 6-8 months. But I told myself I have to fight this case as I did not purposely beat the red light as I stopped and waited for awhile before acertaining to drive off.

The "deep seated cultural issue" is indeed happening in the force just like I said. Thumbs up for courage to fight it out and share your experience!!

• Praise 4

I believe TS can well afford the $150 fine and 6 points. What he buay song is he cannot be convinced if he really indeed commit the offence, and even if he did, the charges needs to be upfront right there and then.

TP should discharge his duty honorably by stopping his car and ascertain the driver's particulars. Then school him on his mistakes before issuing the summon. But instead, he got a anonymous letter informing of his offence (or furnish another person's particulars) he has no recollection of!! - this to me is a half-F job done dishonorably in a very poor "deep seated cultural issue" surfacing in the police force.

Initially I thought you referring to mcf anonymous dislike button.

TS feeling the same way now. Bei song..die also don't know what kill him...haha

In the past, before video evidence, it has always been like this when the TP summon drivers.

This is a good thread - how to protect ourselves with video recording.

To specific. What brand of sd car which can store weeks of data and power bank.

TP letters come in at least 7work day!!!!

Edited by Kopites

The "deep seated cultural issue" is indeed happening in the force just like I said. Thumbs up for courage to fight it out and share your experience!!

Thank you for your kind words! Have a safe drive everyone!

u know why tp nv stop u? cos he's off duty and probably is a senior officer...

why i say that? cos i encountered a senior officer ASP did that.. drove his bloody bmw n saw someone turning on a go straight lane only...

• Praise 2

TS..if you know you aren't in any wrong go fight it out in court. Any doubt than pay up. 150 small amount. Detritus point also small small water. You can earn back.

At least you wont has a fish bone stuck in your throat for life.

Make an appeal to your MP.

We voted for them.

MP will not interfere anything that is under investigation.

They can help to write in to expedite investigation or refer to the right party. That all.

The appeal failed and I re-appealed with screenshot of the reply from ATS. And Iâm sure you would have guessed that it failed too. I proceeded to head over to TP HQ to appeal to the Officer there and was told she cant do anything and if you dont want to pay the $200 fine and 12 demerit points, go attend court to fight my case.

F$&$ the police.

The appeal failed and I re-appealed with screenshot of the reply from ATS. And Iâm sure you would have guessed that it failed too. I proceeded to head over to TP HQ to appeal to the Officer there and was told she cant do anything and if you dont want to pay the $200 fine and 12 demerit points, go attend court to fight my case.

your case was quite straightforward, you have all the evidence with you, just need to go through the process to prove your case, you can even call upon the 2 officer as witness and report what they said.
  • Praise 2

Maybe you need to assess whether going to court is more worth it than $150 + 6 demerit points. A trip/trips to court already gonna cost you more than $150 worth of opportunity cost. You will have to take leave from work to attend court, face the judge and it will be your words against the TP. Seems like slim chance. So in the event that you are still guilty of the offence, you will still need to pay up and get demerit points? From this point of view, its more worth it to just pay up and let them deduct 6 points and treat this as a lesson learnt.

The complication comes when you do not have sufficient points for them to deduct which means you are suspended from driving.

Hope the above helps. Just my personal opinion.

Lucky got gst rebate haha

For me just pay up and suck thumb. Nth can be done bro, even if u got do or not u are not in position to appeal. Sian no evidence one

MP will not interfere anything that is under investigation.

They can help to write in to expedite investigation or refer to the right party. That all.

Nothing wrong with seeking the help of an MP or your local grassroots adviser in cases such as these, if TS believes he has a case.

And to the mangkuk who disliked my comment, no this is not "misusing" the MP. It is an avenue for TS to seek assistance in his case, after his eventual unsuccessful appeal (if TS decides to appeal to TP).

And no i am not an opposition suppprter.

Recall if you have a habit or had changed lane, but after going into the lane did not accelerate fast enough even though the traffic in front is clear/light. You may think it's OK, but this often can cause vehicles behind to brake hard to avoid incidents. You may think you have checked traffic behind is clear, but some may be coming from your blind spots.

• Praise 3

Nothing wrong with seeking the help of an MP or your local grassroots adviser in cases such as these, if TS believes he has a case.

And to the mangkuk who disliked my comment, no this is not "misusing" the MP. It is an avenue for TS to seek assistance in his case, after his eventual unsuccessful appeal (if TS decides to appeal to TP).

And no i am not an opposition suppprter.

after that hooha case, i thought the MPs are adviced not to write letter to lend support to challenge offences?

The only way is to everyday bring sd card home to backup but it's so tedious. Maybe if kenna honk for "no" reason, go back and see what happened in the footage and keep it just in case.

Anyway, I feel that TS should just pay the fine. I have trust in our TP's integrity but then again, people make mistakes. The TP should just stop TS and give a warning first. How bad can it be if he saw it and don't give a ticket immediately?

Edited by Nicholas

Maybe we do not have the card to store these.

Maybe we do. Stream to an onboard wireless HDD to store the files.