Microsoft to buy solar power in Singapore

Lmws214

(edited)

I posted my suggestion a few years ago.

Dig big swimming pools in deserts like in Saudi Arabia and cover with glass made from sand from the desert.

Fill the pools with sea water.

The sun will evaporate the water on the glass roof and use the water to irrigate the desert.

Collect the salt to use as molten salt in solar towers.

This will reduce sea level, green the desert and privide molten salt for solar towers reducing the need for fossil fuels.

:D

How do one use the water being evaporated to irrigate the desert? The biggest challenge is where to find sea water in the midst of the desert?

With natural gas I think my MIL can power a small building.

So power ah?? SPPG should hire your MIL leh.. Then you can stop working and shake leg at home liao.. hahaha.

@spring enuf to power planet earth for 200 years

Paging for @spring, why you didnt volunteer earlier? Singapore's electrical tariff drop or rise depends on you liao (国宝).. Wahahahah :XD:

Edited by Buadongdong
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Japan have a lot of electronic engineers, a lot of coast line and a lot of typhoons.

They should make wave power devices that work under the seas and the rougher the sea the better.

Above the sea they can put wind mills. They also have hot springs and that geo thermal.

Maybe they don't even need nuclear power of oil fired power stations.

No more Fukushima.

How do one use the water being evaporated to irrigate the desert? The biggest challenge is where to find sea water in the midst of the desert?

So power ah?? SPPG should hire your MIL leh.. Then you can stop working and shake leg at home liao.. hahaha.

Paging for @spring, why you didnt volunteer earlier? Singapore's electrical tariff drop or rise depends on you liao (å½å®ï¼.. Wahahahah :XD:

Saudi Arabia has a coastline.

Collect the distilled water and green the desert like the gardens of Babylon.

• Praise 1

Japan have a lot of electronic engineers, a lot of coast line and a lot of typhoons.

They should make wave power devices that work under the seas and the rougher the sea the better.

Above the sea they can put wind mills. They also have hot springs and that geo thermal.

No more Fukushima.

Yeah.. agree.. a greener method of generating electricity.. But I guess the amount generated by these means are not enough as compared to what the nuclear plant can generate with the same amount of land required. Geothermal also need to see whether got hotspots in Japan or not leh.. Not easy to find Geothermal farms underneath.

(edited)

Yeah.. agree.. a greener method of generating electricity.. But I guess the amount generated by these means are not enough as compared to what the nuclear plant can generate with the same amount of land required. Geothermal also need to see whether got hotspots in Japan or not leh.. Not easy to find Geothermal farms underneath.

When I get home I post my MIL Japanese relative hotspring photo for you.

Edited by Jamesc

No more Fukushima.

Saudi Arabia has a coastline.

Collect the distilled water and green the desert like the gardens of Babylon.

Provided that they draw from the correct sea.

If they foolishly draw it from the Persian gulf.....

When I get home I post my MIL Japanese relative hotspring photo for you.

My MIL relatives and their hot spring.

japanese-monkeys-hot-springs-DBZoaWc.jpg

• Praise 1

Hahaha.. can just ask her to google search Global Insolation rates. I've attached one of the links here for your easy reference. Aussie is one of the best countries to harvest solar energy.. Singapore ah?? :a-no::a-t2622::a-noway: We are one of the lowest globally.. Dunno why SG gov go waste taxpayer's money into solar cells. The ROI is 50yrs maybe? Or even longer..

https://www.quora.com/Which-are-the-countries-with-the-highest-solar-radiation

Even solar water heater type also depends on our weather. Singapore weather is so unpredictable with Clouds overcover most of the days makes it not worth the investment. But thats on a home scale.. it might be worth doing it in a commercial scale.

With the insolation rates that ASEAN have, its just not worth doing it. Unless the cost of PV cells go down so much such that the ROI is 10yrs, then it would be more worth it to do. Don't only think that one can get "free" energy once installed. There are maintenance costs and these sums are not small. Every 1mm of dust covering the PV cell will reduce its efficiency by 3-5%. Singapore, although not as dusty as our neighbours, is still considered dusty in global terms. So all in all, not worth lor..

Btw, the above is just my personal opinion.

Solar water definitely can do becuase even for clouds, the heat is still high

Problem is what to do with all the hot water

Even use for bathing, the most is save $30 worth of gas a month

why sell to Microsoft and not to SP Services ? [laugh]

Solar panel very troublesome one

If you use the grid tie inverter to covert to ac and feed back the main

More than donno how many kWh must get their engineer to come to certify

Even if use taobao panels, very hard to justify the cost

Only can consider solar water type

My MIL relatives and their hot spring.

japanese-monkeys-hot-springs-DBZoaWc.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm [sly]
  • Praise 3

Problem is what to do with all the hot water

Even use for bathing, the most is save $30 worth of gas a month

Solar panel very troublesome one

If you use the grid tie inverter to covert to ac and feed back the main

More than donno how many kWh must get their engineer to come to certify

Even if use taobao panels, very hard to justify the cost

Only can consider solar water type

Hmmmmmmmm [sly]

Wow wow wow.. We have an electrical background boss in da house!!

Agree solar water heater can be used.. But on a larger scale than residential.. Commercial more viable..

• Praise 1

Wow wow wow.. We have an electrical background boss in da house!!

Agree solar water heater can be used.. But on a larger scale than residential.. Commercial more viable..

Simi simi :XD:

(edited)

Simi simi :XD:

Let me guess.. LEW? Electrical QP? Those things u said only insider knows.. Confirm plus chop.. Edited by Buadongdong

Supersonic

Let me guess.. LEW? Electrical QP? Those things u said only insider knows.. Confirm plus chop..

waa @mustank is electric boss?

Hahaha.. can just ask her to google search Global Insolation rates. I've attached one of the links here for your easy reference. Aussie is one of the best countries to harvest solar energy.. Singapore ah?? :a-no::a-t2622::a-noway: We are one of the lowest globally.. Dunno why SG gov go waste taxpayer's money into solar cells. The ROI is 50yrs maybe? Or even longer..

https://www.quora.com/Which-are-the-countries-with-the-highest-solar-radiation

Even solar water heater type also depends on our weather. Singapore weather is so unpredictable with Clouds overcover most of the days makes it not worth the investment. But thats on a home scale.. it might be worth doing it in a commercial scale.

With the insolation rates that ASEAN have, its just not worth doing it. Unless the cost of PV cells go down so much such that the ROI is 10yrs, then it would be more worth it to do. Don't only think that one can get "free" energy once installed. There are maintenance costs and these sums are not small. Every 1mm of dust covering the PV cell will reduce its efficiency by 3-5%. Singapore, although not as dusty as our neighbours, is still considered dusty in global terms. So all in all, not worth lor..

Btw, the above is just my personal opinion.

Agree. I can hardly charge my tough solar g shocks in sg.

Even 10 yrs ROI is too much. Had a project previously thinking to install solar panels. But the cost is way too high. I wonder why hdb is still installing solar panels on our roof tops.

Let me guess.. LEW? Electrical QP? Those things u said only insider knows.. Confirm plus chop..

Simi simi

I google only lah

Pub website say one

Got some pdf inside got say one

I cannot remember where liao

I just like renewal energy stuff that’s all :grin:

waa @mustank is electric boss?

If boss then is huat liao loh

Confirm drive Mercedes liao loh

Where got drive one lousy pigkarp :XD:

Supersonic