Citroen Cars

SGCMVassago

(edited)

I still dont understand why the car needs to lift up everytime it started ah? During that era those citroen really looks like a spaceship. Lol.

​Unique to Citroens of those days, the suspension, steering and brakes are linked in the same high-pressure hydraulic system that is powered by a engine-driven pump. The pump stops working when the engine is off, and the system loses pressure over time. The suspension will then slowly sink down onto its bump stops.

If you parked nose in, your front bumper may be grounded on a high kerb, or your exhaust will be supporting the back of the car if you reverse parked. Sometimes, after you climbed into the car, you can't close your door as it has gotten stuck on the pavement!

When you start the engine, the pump works to power up the hydraulic system, and Voila! The suspension will rise up again, say after 30 seconds, and you can begin your magic carpet journey!

As a matter of habit I will peer under the car as I approach it, to check if there is a green puddle underneath, as the system is prone to leak. It's a good day if the floor remains dry.

I loved ALL my 4 Citroens (when they are in working condition, that is)   [laugh]  

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2705870-guess-the-cars/?p=6239714

Apparently later Citroens from the 2000 C5 onwards have a valve to stop the suspension from sinking.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 4

Supersonic

​Unique to Citroens of those days, the suspension, steering and brakes are linked in the same high-pressure hydraulic system that is powered by a engine-driven pump. The pump stops working when the engine is off, and the system loses pressure over time. The suspension will then slowly sink down onto its bump stops.

If you parked nose in, your front bumper may be grounded on a high kerb, or your exhaust will be supporting the back of the car if you reverse parked. Sometimes, after you climbed into the car, you can't close your door as it has gotten stuck on the pavement!

When you start the engine, the pump works to power up the hydraulic system, and Voila! The suspension will rise up again, say after 30 seconds, and you can begin your magic carpet journey!

As a matter of habit I will peer under the car as I approach it, to check if there is a green puddle underneath, as the system is prone to leak. It's a good day if the floor remains dry.

I loved ALL of my 4 Citroens (when they are in working condition, that is)   [laugh] 

Apparently later Citroens from the 2000 C5 onwards have a valve to stop the suspension from sinking.

This high pressure hydraulic system in citroens really amazing. But how come such system only found on last decades citroens and current citroens no more le?

• Praise 1

(edited)

This high pressure hydraulic system in citroens really amazing. But how come such system only found on last decades citroens and current citroens no more le?

I can think of a few reasons:

1) Costs - it is expensive to manufacture and makes Citroens uncompetitive in the marketplace.

2) Complexity - leading to maintenance and reliability issues.

3) Germans - BMW, Audi and Merc led us to believe that we prefer firm, sporty and crashy suspension that feels planted on the autobahns at 250kmh (and to hell with ride comfort!). That preference led people away from comfy French cars with complex suspensions. The 2008 C5 actually feels Teutonic and is a far cry from the pillowy ride of the old Citroens. If the buyers wants firm ride, then why bother with expensive and complex and unreliable hydropneumatic suspension?!

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

I always like to watch the demo of the car being driven on 3 wheels.

https://youtu.be/VKC5d4Ytcq0

• Praise 2

1. Reliability and maintenance issues : Besides the usual French car small problems, the hydraulic suspension had it's share of leaks. All the owners I know always carried a bottle or two of the green stuff in the boot to top-up frequently. Worst case I know, the piping burst and flooded the floor on the driver's side with the green stuff.

2. Driving the pump constantly robbed the car of power and increased the fuel consumption. Last decade there was obsession in car industry and with buyers, especially in Europe, for better fuel economy, due to carbon tax. Due to the pump, Citroens fared badly. They had to use suspensions that did not need a pump. A Citroen here would be like the engine running 2 air-con compressors all the time. Bad for emissions and fuel economy, and pick-up.      

• Praise 3

Thanks everyone for the input.

Anyone currently driving the current range of Citroen?

I am looking at 90k there about for a hatchback.

Seems like only Aircross and Peugeot 2008

Fit that price band.

Some consideration

- Design

- Ncap rating

- Fun

- 90k budget but don’t want the run of mill Jazz / Note / Space Star etc

(edited)

Fit that price band.

Some consideration

- Design

- Ncap rating

- Fun

Both cars are the same under the skin but the Aircross looks more interesting. 

Surely these cars are cool and chic and fun, but in the longer term, don't expect run of the mill quality, durability and resale value. I am not convinced of that 3-cyl engine, I find it a tad rough and the power delivery was hard to modulate. But that's on a short test drive in the 3008.

​Take a look at the new Hyundai Kona too.

Edited by Toeknee_33

Driven a Diesel 2014 Grand Picasso Diesel which is using the ETG . I should say not much of an issue as it didn’t broke down on me for the past 3 years plus . Very comfy and plushy suspension and great interior with good sufficient place . Current issue is my air con cooling coil leak .

I loved ALL my 4 Citroens (when they are in working condition, that is) [laugh]

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2705870-guess-the-cars/?p=6239714

Read the fine print

• Praise 6

Supersonic

Fit that price band.

Some consideration

- Design

- Ncap rating

- Fun

Aircross.

Family has a Citroen C5 approaching 10 years soon. No leaks with the suspension at all. Absolutely marvelous technology with the cushy S-Class feeling ride. 

We loved it on the NSHW. Cruised effortlessly at 160-180 to KL, Genting etc many times [;)] 

Drove a Berlingo petrol van many years back, its of lower spec.

Manual clutch cable always set in too low which mech said cannot be liddat, went back to AD to adjust many time until give up.

Citroen share the same platform, engine and chassis with Peugeot back then.

Not many outside workshop can service that time.

Just like any conti, parts cannot anyhow use and its expensive.

Reliability is average.

Supersonic

Family has a Citroen C5 approaching 10 years soon. No leaks with the suspension at all. Absolutely marvelous technology with the cushy S-Class feeling ride.

We loved it on the NSHW. Cruised effortlessly at 160-180 to KL, Genting etc many times [;)]

Renewing COE?

Renewing COE?

If COE dips further.. possibly. The newer C5 dont seem to always come with the hyraulic suspension already :TT_TT:

Neutral Newbie

Currently driving a 08 C4, no complaint, enjoy it and see if it can pull thru for last 6 mth before scrap as there is some noise generate from gearbox which my mechanic told me to send to scrap yard direct in this 6 mths when spolit. most costly is the replacement of air con diffuser which spent around $800, other than that its minor wear and tear repair that max at $300.

• Praise 1

I just de registered my C5.     Serviced it at C&C all along until the end.

My comments are all negative.   Mine had the suspension which never gave me problems, but issues popped up everywhere from a melting dashboard, to melting plastics including the computer box. I had my car replaced with the power steering pump, but had to go back to agent at least 3 times.  After paying for a new pump, they found out it was the wires, something melted inside some computer box.  They said loose connection, my guess is some plastic melted.   Imagine driving without power steering, parking and turning from a parked position. Okay, never mind this. 

I had my timing belt changed according to schedule, and it broke 20,000 later!   Pistons all gone, the cost is so humongous, and it's because they didn't get a good timing belt to run.   C&C servicing mind you!   Original parts. 

I remembered waiting at empty carparks for tow trucks.  I've driven 5 cars all my life, Citroen 5 is my sixth.  Never had to tow my car.    The C5 was towed more than 5 times I think, I lost count.   

The computer kept breaking down.  The car simply stopped for no good reason.  

The amount I spent on repair costs run into several thousands, more than 20% of what I paid for a new car.  I bought the C5 at about 82k or so, I'm quite sure I spent more than 20k on repairs alone. 

My advice to anyone buying a Citroen...stay far far away from this car. 

• Praise 2

I bought the C5 new from C&C.  Forgot about the brake calipers.   Every servicing something is wrong with one of them, I kept changing them as much as they change brake pads.   

This car is a nightmare!      

I've been thinking recently whether I should go back to C&C and claim some money on the 20k timing belt fault, I was advised I stand a good chance.    But it happened some years back, don't know if I can still claim.    Don't make the same mistake I made.  I bought it because the salesgirl opened the boot and sat on it.   The car first sank because her weight brought it down.   But within seconds, the boot rose by magic.  The hydraulics did the trick.    Because of that, I bought the car, and suffered for 10 long years.    

↡ Advertisement