'Drive' brand car battery in my car total sudden failure.

Jwee85

The local stockist or supplier for this DRIVE brand could be a sponsor in mycarform.

A simple search will reveal that this brand is claimed as German technology or whatever.

I have ridden motorcycles and cars for 30+ years, never had a total battery failure before.

Even the occasional battery drain due to headlights kept on. I was able to save the battery using my Ctek charger.

The second hand Ameron battery I am using now is purchased in 2014 for my honda and kept as a backup at home for the times when family cars got drained battery. It is still able to be charged and usable, even though I have completely drained this battery twice when I was away overseas for work for a couple of months.

No more DRIVE or unknown brand of battery for my cars in future.

Thanks for the information. 

I am interested in the Ctek charger. Where did you get that from and how much is it? Which model and how do you use it? Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Had a similar case in April this year, my MB car battery went dead, called the recovery team from ARS, recommended by car workshop *E...pse, family biz.

Thy fitted a DRIVE battery on my MB say its from Europe, charged me SGD350, alot of money.

On 9 Sept, last Sunday, car couldn't start. called ARS, thy came n claimed its the alternator problem and the battery is working ok, which is a lame excuse. thy refuse to change a new battery. thy said the alternator is spoilt. True, cause by the bad battery.

i had to tow my MB to the workshop. Next morning, my mechanic checked, both alternator n battery are not working. Repair cost SGD1300.

We called ARS, thy refused to admit their battery is the cause of the alternator problem.

Will never use this team n brand again.

extract:

Bad battery effect on alternator

Absolutely yes. I sell alternators all day every day - and a poor battery is often the root cause of alternator failure. ... A battery that simply will not accept charge won't necessarily cause premature failure of the alternator unless it is permanently at a low voltage.

Neutral Newbie

Had a similar case in April this year, my MB car battery went dead, called the recovery team from ARS, recommended by car workshop *E...pse, family biz.

Thy fitted a DRIVE battery on my MB say its from Europe, charged me SGD350, alot of money.

On 9 Sept, last Sunday, car couldn't start. called ARS, thy came n claimed its the alternator problem and the battery is working ok, which is a lame excuse. thy refuse to change a new battery. thy said the alternator is spoilt. True, cause by the bad battery.

i had to tow my MB to the workshop. Next morning, my mechanic checked, both alternator n battery are not working. Repair cost SGD1300.

We called ARS, thy refused to admit their battery is the cause of the alternator problem.

extract:

Absolutely yes. I sell alternators all day every day - and a poor battery is often the root cause of alternator failure. ... A battery that simply will not accept charge won't necessarily cause premature failure of the alternator unless it is permanently at a low voltage.

Edited by KoolEd

extract:

I hope the mechanic didnt do a wrong niagnostic, what model are you driving ? W212?

Now I change my car battery every 1.5yrs since it cost around s$160+ for Amaron brand.. Don't wanna kana chop by these roadside assist vehicle.

Never hear the brand before. Most car batteries should have 1 year warranty right? Maybe just gotten a lemon.

There is actually a brand call drive. Google around and you will find it. Dont know where is it from though.

extract:

The alternator of W212 does not provide charging all the time. I read somewhere that it will charge when a car is braking or decelerating. When load is high or when battery is fully charged, it will not provide charging also. A few months ago i went to change out my battery, the mechanic told me that my alternator is dead, it is not charging at all, he said i must quickly replace the alternator, otherwise the new battery will die very soon. But i have been driving the car for months without changing the alternator, the car still get started every day, no problem.

Just for record i went to replace battery because i saw the voltage was about 11.9v when engine is off , i did it just to be safe.

Edited by Ct3833

The alternator of W212 does not provide charging all the time. I read somewhere that it will charge when a car is braking or decelerating. When load is high or when battery is fully charged, it will not provide charging also. A few months ago i went to change out my battery, the mechanic told me that my alternator is dead, it is not charging at all, he said i must quickly replace the alternator, otherwise the new battery will die very soon. But i have been driving the car for months without changing the alternator, the car still get started every day, no problem.

Just for record i went to replace battery because i saw the voltage was about 11.9v when engine is off , i did it just to be safe.

You are teaching someone who sells alternators "all day every day" about alternators?  :D

• Praise 1

Haha that one is a typo.

It should be Pure Drive!

:D

Think the battery followed the way of this singer. One of my fav song from 84 damaged by Transformer.

Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

I have a spare Amaron battery since 2014.

Totally drained it afew time from forgotten on headlights and the blasting of my sound system.

Each time it was drained, took it out of the car, give it a Ctek tick-tock-tick-tock charge overnight. The Amaron battery works perfectly after installing into the car.

Didn't need to change my car alternator.

My occasional driving of the car is now only to the nearby mall to buy dinner and snacks, as now I take the MRT daily since its more convenience for me.

I can confirm the Drive brand car battery I had was a lousy quality piece of junk. If not for that one time urgent replacement need.

I would stick to Amaron (Made in India) for my car in future if I need to replace it.

Personally I use Amaron car batteries, lasting me for 3 years and counting already! Bought it from Nam Wah, which is the distributor in Singapore.

Nowadays cnc uses rocket brand . Dun know Simi brand is that

Made in Korea. Not very good imo.

↡ Advertisement