Pork fat ranked among top 10 most nutritious foods

Ysc3

Twincharged
(edited)

The words 'pork fat' and 'nutritious' don't quite go together, but that may soon change, given a surprising finding by scientists which was first published in 2015 but went viral only recently.

According to a BBC report in January, researchers who analysed more than 1,000 raw foods found that lard is among the top 10 foods which provide the best balance of a person's daily nutritional requirements

Pork fat was ranked 8th in a list of 100 foods, with a nutritional score of 74 - the higher the number, the more likely it will meet your daily nutritional needs. 

It is listed as containing "a good source of B vitamins and minerals" as well as being "more unsaturated and healthier than lamb or beef fat".

Here are the top 10 most nutritious foods and their nutritional scores, according to the study:

1. Almonds, 97
2. Cherimoya (a type of fruit), 96
3. Ocean perch (a deep-water fish), 89
4. Flatfish, 88
5. Chia seeds, 85
6. Pumpkin seeds, 84
7. Swiss chard, 78
8. Pork fat, 73
9. Beet greens, 70
10. Snapper, 69

In addition, pork fat contains oleic acid with 60% monounsaturated fat. Monounsaturated oleic acid has been found to be good for the heart, arteries and skin, and also helps to regulate hormones. As a comparison, butter contains 45% monounsaturated fat

But as with many things, moderation is key.

Excessive consumption of fat can lead to obesity, according to a Singapore-based nutritionist interviewed by the Chinese daily.

"As long as it's pure and unprocessed, it can be beneficial for the body," said the nutritionist. But she recommends not consuming more than six spoonfuls a day, and stresses the importance of a balanced diet: "For example, meat is a better source of Vitamin B than fat, and essential omega-3 fatty acids are obtained from other foods."

Still, it's good news for the rest of us who can tuck into our favourite roast pork or kou rou bao (pork belly bun) with just a little less guilt.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

Twincharged
(edited)

fish skin, chicken skin and ...

post-2854-0-53919700-1520226563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Moderation is the key.

It's just that animal fat has been vilified for too long and vegetable oil claimed to healthier, which probably turns out to be worse.

Do you still cooked with "healthy" canola (Canadian Oil) oil ? That's industrial lubricant, which the industry cleverly marketed as edible cooking oil.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

The words 'pork fat' and 'nutritious' don't quite go together, but that may soon change, given a surprising finding by scientists which was first published in 2015 but went viral only recently.

According to a BBC report in January, researchers who analysed more than 1,000 raw foods found that lard is among the top 10 foods which provide the best balance of a person's daily nutritional requirements

Pork fat was ranked 8th in a list of 100 foods, with a nutritional score of 74 - the higher the number, the more likely it will meet your daily nutritional needs.

It is listed as containing "a good source of B vitamins and minerals" as well as being "more unsaturated and healthier than lamb or beef fat".

Here are the top 10 most nutritious foods and their nutritional scores, according to the study:

1. Almonds, 97

2. Cherimoya (a type of fruit), 96

3. Ocean perch (a deep-water fish), 89

4. Flatfish, 88

5. Chia seeds, 85

6. Pumpkin seeds, 84

7. Swiss chard, 78

8. Pork fat, 73

9. Beet greens, 70

10. Snapper, 69

In addition, pork fat contains oleic acid with 60% monounsaturated fat. Monounsaturated oleic acid has been found to be good for the heart, arteries and skin, and also helps to regulate hormones. As a comparison, butter contains 45% monounsaturated fat

But as with many things, moderation is key.

Excessive consumption of fat can lead to obesity, according to a Singapore-based nutritionist interviewed by the Chinese daily.

"As long as it's pure and unprocessed, it can be beneficial for the body," said the nutritionist. But she recommends not consuming more than six spoonfuls a day, and stresses the importance of a balanced diet: "For example, meat is a better source of Vitamin B than fat, and essential omega-3 fatty acids are obtained from other foods."

Still, it's good news for the rest of us who can tuck into our favourite roast pork or kou rou bao (pork belly bun) with just a little less guilt.

@Roadrunner2029 once mentioned, a famous Tang dynasty poet eats alot kong bak and he ran 5km everyday.

Twincharged

Moderation is the key.

It's just that animal fat has been vilified for too long and vegetable oil claimed to healthier, which probably turns out to be worse.

Do you still cooked with "healthy" canola (Canadian Oil) oil ? That's industrial lubricant, which the industry cleverly marketed as edible cooking oil.

luckily I prefer Knife Brand cooking oil ... smells nicer !!

post-2854-0-50389300-1520230674.jpg

Supercharged

Moderation is the key.

Yah the more natural, the better.... today the better choices would be extra virgin olive oil, organic coconut oil, lard, butter (not ghee).

The "peanut", "sunflower" oil that sold in supermarket all look golden like mobil one synthetic... not sure whether these are really from the plants they claim to be.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

My grandmother knew that long ago, way before this result was published. 

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 7

Hypersonic

There's a bah chor mee at the Lor ah soo market, I think call punggol mee or something like that. The boss has only one arm. 

He has a self service pork lard at the counter. I usually take two huge scoop of the lard. One inside the noodle and the other in a side dish.,

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Yah the more natural, the better.... today the better choices would be extra virgin olive oil, organic coconut oil, lard, butter (not ghee).

The "peanut", "sunflower" oil that sold in supermarket all look golden like mobil one synthetic... not sure whether these are really from the plants they claim to be.

Normal olive oil is ok, if you're using it for cooking. Extra virgin olive oil is more for salad, eaten without cooking, as it cannot stand high heat.

Ghee is healthy also. It's made from milk, good for cooking.

• Praise 1

KNN tio conned liao. All the while the vegetable oil making lobbyists....!!!!

Even governments also become their trumpets.

Just like utensils in hawker centres, from traditional porcelain to melamine crockery to disposables.... Last time, trumpet them to switch away from porcelain crockery saying chipped crockery harbour bacteria.... The worst is scratched and aged melamine crockery which looks horrible under heat, eaten up by strong sauces and weather beaten....

Disposable foam boxes are already banned in some countries.... China... Why are we still eating takeaway from foam boxes?

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Just my point of view, I may be wrong, but it's my experience.

About a year ago, I went to Polyclinic for a checkup. My cholesterol was tested high, so they gave statin. I was rather sloppy with taking the medicine, missing it half the time.

In the meantime, I had increased my egg consumption, pork fat, and all the worse things they tell you not to consume.

6 month later, went back for checkup, I was shocked my cholesterol level is now normal.

Hmm...how did that happen ?

Was the medicine so powerful, including missing many dosage ?

Or simply dietary cholesterol is not a factor, maybe even helpful ?

(edited)

Maybe next thing they will announce is engine oil good also...cos contains no saturated fat...

Edited by WangWang888
↡ Advertisement