2018 Nissan Serena e-POWER

primera38

I wonder if Serena no electric motor load 7 people with all their luggage on just the 1.2 3 cylinder engine can go up Getting or not? 

:D

↡ Advertisement

You guys saw the sgcarmart review? The petrol engine is as good as a petrol generator on board. For me I have used petrol/diesel generator before during NS. It's has only one piston and goes at a set rpm, blaring very loudly. The problem is getting used to this noise whenever the battery pack needs to charge. So no matter you are accelerating, slowing or stationary you will hear the generator running in the background. 

I find it rather unusual and the keyword here is difficult to get used to. It's a good idea cos you dont have to go hunting for a electric charger but its execution has its pros and cons. I mean when you have to consider a car you do not only focus on the pros, you look at the overall of what it offers.

In terms of weight the 1.2L petrol engine has 3 cylinders, compared with a typical generator it has only 1 cylinder. It has also a tank full of petrol to carry around with. These are the few things that bothers me. The noise and the extra weight.

And when it comes to comparing with other cars it's not exactly a hybrid and it's not exactly an EV. EV not only gives performance but it also has more seating and storage space like an additional front trunk or frunk. Because the ICE engine and fuel tank is not there, it frees up a lot of space. To me it's really an odd ball. When other mainstream car makers are not going this route you know you are looking at something different.

Sorry no disrespect here but I just feel there is no need to overthink la. I know sinkies always want cheap, want good, want big boobs. But TC offer 10 year battery warranty. Any problem what you scared of? Good fuel efficiency, much better power compared to the hybrids, reasonable price. That’s good enough for me.

And the ability to go up Genting hill seems so important to some, like you go every week. Peace, enjoy the 2nd phase 🙂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
49 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

To me it's really an odd ball.

Not juz the drivetrain is oddball. The overall narrow, tall, skinny design w tiny wheels oso takes getting used to

Supercharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

You guys saw the sgcarmart review? The petrol engine is as good as a petrol generator on board. For me I have used petrol/diesel generator before during NS. It's has only one piston and goes at a set rpm, blaring very loudly. The problem is getting used to this noise whenever the battery pack needs to charge. So no matter you are accelerating, slowing or stationary you will hear the generator running in the background. 

I find it rather unusual and the keyword here is difficult to get used to. It's a good idea cos you dont have to go hunting for a electric charger but its execution has its pros and cons. I mean when you have to consider a car you do not only focus on the pros, you look at the overall of what it offers.

In terms of weight the 1.2L petrol engine has 3 cylinders, compared with a typical generator it has only 1 cylinder. It has also a tank full of petrol to carry around with. These are the few things that bothers me. The noise and the extra weight.

And when it comes to comparing with other cars it's not exactly a hybrid and it's not exactly an EV. EV not only gives performance but it also has more seating and storage space like an additional front trunk or frunk. Because the ICE engine and fuel tank is not there, it frees up a lot of space. To me it's really an odd ball. When other mainstream car makers are not going this route you know you are looking at something different.

This is one of the classic Hybrid variants - Series Hybrid. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_vehicle_drivetrain#Power-split_or_series-parallel_hybrid

Where engine is used to charge batt only and does not have connection to drivetrain. One of the earliest Hybrid, the Chevy Volt was Series hybrid. BMW i3 and i8 are also using same type of concept.

Toyota hybrid is Parallel Hybrid where both motor and engine are connected to drive train.

Serena is NOT EV (in spite of marketing), but Hybrid.

As such it has the advantages as well as disadvantages of Hybrid.

Edited by t0y0ta

Supercharged

We need more feedback from e-Power drivers for on the ground actual experience. Good or bad never mind, just share. 

24 minutes ago, Didu said:

We need more feedback from e-Power drivers for on the ground actual experience. Good or bad never mind, just share. 

Yeah test drive yourself. Like it buy, don’t like it don’t buy. Quite amazed by the paper research here frankly. But maybe I’m too daft for this since I failed science in school 🙂

(edited)
4 hours ago, Soya said:

Not juz the drivetrain is oddball. The overall narrow, tall, skinny design w tiny wheels oso takes getting used to

So are the other mini vans competing in this segment. Toyota Triplets, Honda Stepwagon and Nissan Serena, Mazda Biante all share similar chassis. 

It handles like a van, just like the others in the segment. 

Didn't mention Suzuki Every, since it is noticeably lower in category. 

Edited by Sigeena

Supersonic
17 hours ago, Sigeena said:

So are the other mini vans competing in this segment. Toyota Triplets, Honda Stepwagon and Nissan Serena, Mazda Biante all share similar chassis. 

It handles like a van, just like the others in the segment. 

Didn't mention Suzuki Every, since it is noticeably lower in category. 

The result of that tall skinny bodyshape is the likelihood of a flip over in side impact collision. Can fast forward to 0.58.

In comparison, a conti like Touran remain on its 4 wheels. See 1.36

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, Soya said:

The result of that tall skinny bodyshape is the likelihood of a flip over in side impact collision. Can fast forward to 0.58.

2 are full size MPV, other is compact MPV, cannot compare. 

Supersonic
41 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

2 are full size MPV, other is compact MPV, cannot compare. 

Fair enough. How sbout comparing to an even larger MPV like Sharan?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, Soya said:

Fair enough. How sbout comparing to an even larger MPV like Sharan?

Buy sharan :D

• Praise 1

Supercharged
9 hours ago, Soya said:

How did Alphard (the tallest beanstalk) do in this test?

Don't worry Serena I have a solution for you.

If a 2 wheel bike cannot tip over then a big box with 4 wheels will never tip over.

Just need two fat donuts inside.

:grin:

23 hours ago, Soya said:

I wonder why the cars have still being given a 5 star rating for side-impact crash tests, same as the triplets, though they were all toppled by the impact. If being toppled is such a bad outcome, why were they not graded 1 star? I would think if strapped by seatbelts, being toppled or not is not so consequential to the japan safety agency doing the test.  

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

I wonder why the cars have still being given a 5 star rating for side-impact crash tests, same as the triplets, though they were all toppled by the impact. If being toppled is such a bad outcome, why were they not graded 1 star? I would think if strapped by seatbelts, being toppled or not is not so consequential to the japan safety agency doing the test.  

Not familiar w JNCAP so can't comment. Anyway, the toppling over video says more than any rating so it's something for buyers to be mindful of

Many jap cars have done well w 5-star Euro NCAP like Subaru, Mazda, Lexus

↡ Advertisement