2018 Nissan Serena e-POWER

primera38

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Not familiar w JNCAP so can't comment. Anyway, the toppling over video says more than any rating so it's something for buyers to be mindful of

Many jap cars have done well w 5-star Euro NCAP like Subaru, Mazda, Lexus

So allow me to share with you that JNCAP still give out 5 star safety ratings to these cars on side crash test, with the implication that the cars posed no dangers to occupants in the event of being hit side way. Good to know definitely. But my thinking is that if it has heavy impact on car safety, it should be incorportated into the assessment criteria. JNCAP seems to have tighten that area with marks given to those airbags and safety features such as AEB, Lane Departure warning system, etc.

I have tried to search online for any info on how all the safety agencies such as JNCAP view cars that toppled during crash tests but cannot find any direct info. Most agencies would only share the criteria used in evaluating: sensors on the dummies. So the concerns are only on the safety and wellbeing of the passengers onboard, not whether car will roll upon impact or not.

https://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/en/assessment_car/crackup_test.html

Side collision test

Among the passenger injuries which occur in automobile collisions, side collisions cause the most damage next to frontal collisions. In this test, a sled with a mass of 1,300kg(Until FY2017,mass of 950kg) is made to collide at a speed of 55 km/h with the side of a stationary test vehicle with a dummy normally on the driver’s seat. The dummy is checked for injuries to the head, chest, abdomen, and pelvis, and the results are used to evaluate the degree of passenger protection in 5 levels.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Side Barrier Crash Test Scenario:

You pull up to a four-way intersection and make a complete stop, look to your left and right and begin to accelerate into the intersection. Another vehicle approaches the same intersection, but doesn’t yield at the stop sign and hits your vehicle on the driver’s side.

Test Details

An average-size adult male in driver seat

A small-size adult female in rear passenger seat (driver’s side)

All dummies are secured with a seat belt

Represents an intersection type collision

A 3,015 lb moving barrier crashes at 38.5 mph into a standing vehicle

Evaluation of injury to the head, chest, abdomen, and pelvis

For side barrier ratings, it is possible to compare all vehicles with each other

Not for lack of trying , do share if you can find any assessment criteria that punish a car due to toppling over during side crash test. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

A lot of all these crash assessment on front and side. Is there any on rear collision, especially so given that most MPV's last row is so close to the rear door. What happens if a lorry or bus come in from behind? How badly will the last row passenger be impacted?

Anyway I think this e-power is something unique and would serve its purpose as intended. 

Edited by Alfc

On 6/15/2020 at 3:28 PM, Heartlander said:

The highlighted statement is not really correct. A bigger battery will only mean longer time to be fully charged up, everything equal meaning the 1.2L engine.

If you use a bigger battery for Serena, the 1.2L engine will just keep on charging the battery before it is fully charged up. The battery will just keep powering the alternator to drive the car while being charged. So the driver will be hearing more of the charging hum compare to now when he just collect the car, or after a long time never drive the car due to overseas holiday, but after fully charged it should behave similar to now. The big difference with a bigger battery is when the car is driven up a long slope whereby the battery can no longer hold the charge whereby its charge keeps dropping despite the engine doing its job charging the battery. The bigger battery capacity would allow its depletion to last a longer distance before the limping mode comes on, to allow the car to move at normal speed and not 40km/hr.

The balance to choose the battery capacity for me would be to decide on how long to cater before the limping mode comes on. Would be good if a more powerful engine could be used with the increase in battery capacity, actually either or both if increased would be good to lengthen the time before limping mode comes on, but most buyer would prefer a smaller engine to pay lower tax etc. Hope my explanation is clear.

Yes, agree. Which is my point in my previous comment. if it is charging is 3.6kW, it takes 8 hours to fully charge the 40kWh battery. 40kWh is about 2 hours of journey. Do you see the different in the output and input rate? 8 hours of pure charging vs 2 hours of driving journey. so if you drive and charge, likely you need more hours in charging up the 40kWh. 

20 hours ago, Alfc said:

A lot of all these crash assessment on front and side. Is there any on rear collision, especially so given that most MPV's last row is so close to the rear door. What happens if a lorry or bus come in from behind? How badly will the last row passenger be impacted?

Anyway I think this e-power is something unique and would serve its purpose as intended. 

I manage to get the answer from one agency for you:

Why doesn't NHTSA do rear impact crash ratings?

NHTSA’s 5-Star Ratings Program has a limited budget and must concentrate its ratings on front and side-impact crashes that are responsible for the highest percentage of deaths and serious injuries.

If you free, can go to individual crash testing agencies for info.

https://www.crashtest.org/car-crash-testing-agencies/

6 hours ago, diming87 said:

Yes, agree. Which is my point in my previous comment. if it is charging is 3.6kW, it takes 8 hours to fully charge the 40kWh battery. 40kWh is about 2 hours of journey. Do you see the different in the output and input rate? 8 hours of pure charging vs 2 hours of driving journey. so if you drive and charge, likely you need more hours in charging up the 40kWh. 

If put 40kwh battery, it is likely it will be 2 tonner.

Just put 8.8kwh battery (Similar to Toyota Prius PHV) will be the best compromise.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

It's like charging ipad with a small 5W iphone charger while running some intensive app. The power drains faster than the charging, which eventually the ipad auto shuts down due to depleted battery power.[dead] I doubt any car design will fail such criteria yet proceed to commercial production.

25 minutes ago, Didu said:

It's like charging ipad with a small 5W iphone charger while running some intensive app. The power drains faster than the charging, which eventually the ipad auto shuts down due to depleted battery power.[dead] I doubt any car design will fail such criteria yet proceed to commercial production.

If your ipad has only 10% of its current battery, with 60w charger will not help with running intensive app.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:11 PM, inlinesix said:

If your ipad has only 10% of its current battery, with 60w charger will not help with running intensive app.

It will, the iPad will draw power directly from charger. similar to laptop running on charger without battery. your laptop wont just died. 

I would like to know how/when the 360 camera works.

Can I manually trigger to view it anytime? (eg. check how close to the kerb I am when stopping at the roadside, etc)

Would appreciate if anyone can let me know. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Lite said:

I would like to know how/when the 360 camera works.

Can I manually trigger to view it anytime? (eg. check how close to the kerb I am when stopping at the roadside, etc)

Would appreciate if anyone can let me know. Thank you.

Yes you can trigger it by pressing the camera button. 

Thanks so much for your reply.

I am keen to get this from Tan Chong in the coming months.

I would like to know what was the CB offer and usually what can I ask to be included in the package?

Also, any comments on Nissan's reliability generally as I have no experience with this manufacturer.

Edited by Lite

Thanks. I will.

I was viewing the price history. Any idea what caused the pricing drop from 142k to 133k during December 2019?

Where did you get 142 from? 

If you walked in in Dec, the price was 128k

There is listed price and then if you walk in and checked with the SE, there's a special price. 

It's based on the listed price i see on sgcarmart's price history.

image.png.5412a98b72efb09f2d2da1fb7940897c.png

When I enquired with the SE recently, she only rounded down the price and did not give an special price. So, I thought Nissan price their car closely with what they listed.

Edited by Lite
Double image attached

No idea how that graph came about. As far as I enquired in Oct, it was never above 140k.

That graph is probably over by ard 10k.

Either that or I hansum and SE gives me special discount. 

Edited by Sigeena
  • Praise 1

In Oct/Nov last year, the VES banding for Serena was revised from B to A2. Hence, the selling price was reduced to $129k (est) in Dec. I booked in early Dec 19.