Bid / Buy / Sales of Vehicle Registration Numbers

Dennisk

Turbocharged

Dear all,

Would like to check the process on buying a VRN from those dealers advertising in this forum.

Assuming I were to purchase a number from them, how much time do I have to use it, i.e. register it.

Does it make any difference if the number to be purchased was used before or "brand new"?

Many thanks in advance

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Anyone selling the following number plate:

1. SJY 20

2. SJY 78

3. SJY 85

4. SJY 2078

5. SJY 2020

6. SJY 2085

willing to pay high price for it especially SJY 20 - happy to go above $30K

Thanks

Anyone selling the following number plate:

1. SJY 20

2. SJY 78

3. SJY 85

4. SJY 2078

5. SJY 2020

6. SJY 2085

willing to pay high price for it especially SJY 20 - happy to go above $30K

Thanks

• Praise 1

anyone has 1828 car plate to sell? [laugh]

This is not a sought after number in bidding so you can actually bid 1k for it instead of spending more in the open market. 

anyone has 1828 car plate to sell? [laugh]

This is not a sought after number in bidding so you can actually bid 1k for it instead of spending more in the open market. 

the plate don't look beautiful at all.. looks damaged.. this kind of number best to send to scrape just like the car

You are quite right, such number has no meaning, not particularly nice and easily bid for without contender.

However many people still feel their number plate are worth some money. Done a study on the number bidding results over a few cycles and the following general conclusions: 

- Special and rare abbreviation are worth money and not in this rough study.

- Single digit and double digits are obviously highly sought after and hence no need to mention more except some poor numbers like '46', '47', '67'. Also other poor 2 digits number such as '56', '92', '43'  that are though sought after but not worth big money where one could try bid at below $2k.

- 3 digits are only worth some money when it is nice and have some kind of meaning such as '100', '288', '333', '800'. Otherwise is worthless such as '325', '129', '755', '997'.

- 4 digits are only worth money for special numbers and very meaningful numbers such as '8888', '3000', '6666', perhaps something like '3388'.  

- other 4 digits that look nice such as '2228', '5566', '1808', '5678' are often not sought after in bidding so easy to bid at below $1.5k. Others like '2227', '8878', are usually leftover and LTA will just release it out for free hence considered as lucky free numbers. 

Take a pinch of salt when referencing to car plate number reselling website as these sites are to push up the price and make more money.  

Hope this little rough research helps many in determining how much to pay for resell number, or simply just bid for a new number.

Cheers!

• Praise 3

To add, do try best to avoid these 3 alphabets too, "C", "X", "Z". 

C - Sounds similar to Xi (die) in hokkien

X - Represents invalid, symbolizes "finished"

Z - Obviously symbolizes "last"  

It could devalue the number plate drastically. 

To add as well on letters..B is popular as it looks like 8..SBB plates are slightly pricier..or ending with B and the number has 8 in it..

Some like H..8th letter in the alphabet list..personal preference though..

SBB181B. Very very rare.

Give me good offer. Text or call me personally@ 98380404. Sincerel and genuine buyer only, handover in sept with just a $100 retention as car is going to scrape yard.

Edited by Cng4444
  • Praise 2

anyone wants SGL6688E, going for cheap, i need to pay LTA $1200 to transfer it to you

take note, if you placing it on your new car, then you only need to pay LTA $100, if you placing on your used car, you need to pay LTA $1300.

looking to sell $888 just for the plate, all transfer costs on you

• Praise 2

To add as well on letters..B is popular as it looks like 8..SBB plates are slightly pricier..or ending with B and the number has 8 in it..

Some like H..8th letter in the alphabet list..personal preference though..

Just kidding here, take note the 'H' on a wrong car and wrong color would be a perfect disaster. For example, a yellow or blue Hyundai plus the number plate SBH1234G would complete the taxi package.

There is this 'SBB181B' for sales after you have mentioned 'SBB' plate with number '8', are you the one selling? It would be ashamed if this number were to be sent to scrap. Recommend a 'buy'.

Also noted from some car plate reselling sites, various traders are asking high price from numbers that they have successfully bid for reselling, estimate to be 2.5 times and above the likely price they paid for. Understand they need to make good margin to cover the "investment" and risk of not able to resell the number. Very suitable for people who wants new car plate number on their new purchase that is delivering soon, since self-bidding need to first wait for bidding window to open, especially the first window, then submit bid and then wait for result. If one has the time and not particular on the alphabets, bidding is damn easy, get to choose own favorite number and save lots of money, recommend you try bidding it yourself.    

• Praise 2

Just kidding here, take note the 'H' on a wrong car and wrong color would be a perfect disaster. For example, a yellow or blue Hyundai plus the number plate SBH1234G would complete the taxi package.

There is this 'SBB181B' for sales after you have mentioned 'SBB' plate with number '8', are you the one selling? It would be ashamed if this number were to be sent to scrap. Recommend a 'buy'.

Also noted from some car plate reselling sites, various traders are asking high price from numbers that they have successfully bid for reselling, estimate to be 2.5 times and above the likely price they paid for. Understand they need to make good margin to cover the "investment" and risk of not able to resell the number. Very suitable for people who wants new car plate number on their new purchase that is delivering soon, since self-bidding need to first wait for bidding window to open, especially the first window, then submit bid and then wait for result. If one has the time and not particular on the alphabets, bidding is damn easy, get to choose own favorite number and save lots of money, recommend you try bidding it yourself.

No I'm not the one selling the SBB plate. Funny how ppl second guess others.
  • Praise 2

You are quite right, such number has no meaning, not particularly nice and easily bid for without contender.

However many people still feel their number plate are worth some money. Done a study on the number bidding results over a few cycles and the following general conclusions: 

- Special and rare abbreviation are worth money and not in this rough study.

- Single digit and double digits are obviously highly sought after and hence no need to mention more except some poor numbers like '46', '47', '67'. Also other poor 2 digits number such as '56', '92', '43'  that are though sought after but not worth big money where one could try bid at below $2k.

- 3 digits are only worth some money when it is nice and have some kind of meaning such as '100', '288', '333', '800'. Otherwise is worthless such as '325', '129', '755', '997'.

- 4 digits are only worth money for special numbers and very meaningful numbers such as '8888', '3000', '6666', perhaps something like '3388'.  

- other 4 digits that look nice such as '2228', '5566', '1808', '5678' are often not sought after in bidding so easy to bid at below $1.5k. Others like '2227', '8878', are usually leftover and LTA will just release it out for free hence considered as lucky free numbers. 

Take a pinch of salt when referencing to car plate number reselling website as these sites are to push up the price and make more money.  

Hope this little rough research helps many in determining how much to pay for resell number, or simply just bid for a new number.

Cheers!

Absolutely well said! If your numbers have no special meaning its cheaper for people to bid for in the new series! The only valuable plates are single and low 2 digits and obvious 8888 plates!

• Praise 2

Absolutely well said! If your numbers have no special meaning its cheaper for people to bid for in the new series! The only valuable plates are single and low 2 digits and obvious 8888 plates!

There are also numbers that are not special but meaningful to individual. The point is one must realize that there is no resale value on such numbers. By all means acquire it if one likes just that don't expect can fetch a price in future. Just bid 1k will do since there would be no contender.  

There are traders out there that anyhow name the car plate such as 'SLD 1129 G' > 'Super, Lucky, Dude, I, Want, Tonight, Great'. I take those for a laugh and respect them for good try.  

For bidding price, my guess is if a good number such as SGS8000D is calling for $8888, check whether is it lowest among other same numbers, then you would probably able to bid the new series at half the price or less. Some luck will be involved. This only applies to good numbers since lousy numbers have no value to begin with.

Happy bidding.

• Praise 1

Anyone here can advise the steps to buying/selling car plates to another person. Understand that to transfer the plate to another guy, need to transfer the car to him for $11 for him to do the necessary retention and then transfer back for $11. so what about the insurance part, the other guy need to get insurance to transfer to him?

then when transferring back, i can use my existing insurance for that car previously to transfer back? 

Might have an E series plate for sale

Thanks alot

• Praise 2

Anyone here can advise the steps to buying/selling car plates to another person. Understand that to transfer the plate to another guy, need to transfer the car to him for $11 for him to do the necessary retention and then transfer back for $11. so what about the insurance part, the other guy need to get insurance to transfer to him?

then when transferring back, i can use my existing insurance for that car previously to transfer back?

Might have an E series plate for sale

Thanks alot

In the past if you complete all transactions at LTA no need insurance.. now i not too sure as seem no more insurance cover note being practice. Buy the cheapest online insurance.. do the transfer and cancel the insurance. Should not cost alot.

Your existing insurance can be use after the new plate is assigned; just update your insurance agent/company with the new plate number.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2