Price of wedding tables hits new high

Aaronlkl

Those catholic/christian may need to conduct more than 1 wedding event.

Morning is church wedding while Night is hotel wedding.

Traditions, customs and rituals can be good and bad.

Wedding dinner often is for their parents and relatives. The married couple may appear to be the centre of attraction but if you notice carefully, it is time for the old foggies to show off.

I think the younger generation are adopting non traditional means to celebrate their special occasion, most, quite prudently in terms of financing.

Those who lavish themselves and spent beyond their means, suffer subsequently to pay off their event. Silly as if newly married dont have enough problems and want to add more problems to their marriage.

Rich parents is another issue altogether.

few years back I attended one. Just 5 or 6 course meal cost $1.5k per table

my sis told me her colleagues hosted their kid's wedding dinner at a Sentosa hotel  ... ended up about -$40k in the red.

↡ Advertisement

Back in 1999 when I had my dinner the same year I graduated, it was in Royal Plaza in Scott. We chose it because it was then the cheapest place along Orchard Road after knocking on every hotels there to recce, and the $499 price per table was a steal on a Friday night. No choice as do not have rich parents to fall back on. But at the end still managed to break even and earn a small sum despite giving my wife side 10 tables as token of appreciation (dowry?).

Just looked at the latest pricelist, now is $1200 per table. Would sure lose a lot of money for my situation. Think the only option would be to host it in a restaurant if not going to be in debt for few years haha.

Now is still Swatow there, though not sure is the same Swatow.

I don't think so.

When I made reservation under swatow group, the restaurant folded and my reservation went to another group which was another name that I can't recalled.

Luckily wedding dinner went on as planned and deposit still valid.

My parents took the most expensive package.

Less than $388/ table.

Those were the days.......

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Still have still have.. Maybe slightly more at 688 and up.. My wedding was held at QianXi restaurant and had all the things you mentioned and at the end of the day, most of my guest told me the food is great and free flow liquor&beer definitely helps in bringing up the mood.

Mine was at Shuang Xi restaurant.

Food was great, red garoupa, live drunken prawn and shark fin soup..not that watery kind one.. all in $588 a table.

Everyone was happy and we even made 'profit'

• Praise 3

nowadays most of the wedding and dinner requirements are given by parents... i always advise my juniors to hone their negotiation skills so that can get the least requirements from their parents and in laws.

anyway for me, lunch buffet in SG and restaurant dinner in KL. net profit, split half half and give to each side's parents

Edited by kdash
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

nowadays most of the wedding and dinner requirements are given by parents... i always advise my juniors to hone their negotiation skills so that can get the least requirements from their parents and in laws.

anyway for me, lunch buffet in SG and restaurant dinner in KL. net profit, split half half and give to each side's parents

my female cousin damn sway ...

her husband told her not to ask for betrothal gifts from his mother as he said his family was poor !!?? KNNCCB - bloody parasite !!

waa this one cannot la... if both sets of parents love their kids, they will happily give each other and also to their kids...

bro, you didnt help your cousin to bang table?

Twincharged

waa this one cannot la... if both sets of parents love their kids, they will happily give each other and also to their kids...

bro, you didnt help your cousin to bang table?

• Praise 1

the MF%$#@ was a outright scammer !!

introduced a girl to another male cousin of ours ... and they got married ... but girl ran off with his money instead !!

waa !@#$%&

Supersonic

Mine was at Shuang Xi restaurant.

Food was great, red garoupa, live drunken prawn and shark fin soup..not that watery kind one.. all in $588 a table.

Everyone was happy and we even made 'profit'

Turbocharged

Pay Ang Pow less than SGD100 can eat a lot of good food already. [laugh]

Lol ya. Just that the place was a bit lok kok.

at these rates, the mindset of people throwing banquet will also change to one not of making a profit, but of giving friends and relatives a treat. 

if the couple is older, say 30 something (and these days often late 30s), that is often the mindset. 

Turbocharged

Where is this place ah?

双喜楼 was inside Lion city hotel at Tanjong katong road, but think closed down already.

Btw the table we had back then was $488, not $588.

åå楼 was inside Lion city hotel at Tanjong katong road, but think closed down already.

Btw the table we had back then was $488, not $588.

waa Lion City Hotel... still remember the McD there...

Turbocharged

waa Lion City Hotel... still remember the McD there...

Didn't know the place until my folks said highly recommended by my uncles that had their there.

Initially was apprehensive cos.. Lion City hotel.. machiam sounded like Hotel 81 kind

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1