Japan: Tokyo 2018 - BB's First Visit!

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

post-107101-0-00391600-1521602801.png

So I recently went on a 7 days trip to Tokyo - my first ever visit to Japan and I thought I'll do some posts about it since it's been almost four years that I last did a travelogue style entry.

This was back in 2014:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2694643-australia-gold-coast-experience-2014-with-pictures/?hl=%2Bgold+%2Bcoast

I don't have much pictures because weather was pretty cold and rainy so I was reluctant to take my hands out of my jacket for phototaking.

Pictures are all casually snapped using iPhone 8 Plus. 

Travel dates: 7th March to 15th March. I chose these dates because flight tix via Singapore Airlines cost me just SGD650 - this would also mean missing the Sakura bloom by just a week plus but I was cool with that.

Day 1 here we go!

post-107101-0-93268100-1521601343_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-08503200-1521601353_thumb.jpg

Midnight flight via SQ. Some beer before resting and inflight breakfast before landing.

When we touched down Tokyo at about 7am, it was about 3 to 4 degrees out there. 

For those who have not been to Tokyo, you will get confused with their transportation system! They have far too many different lines. So this was how I traveled from Narita Airport. I purchased tickets for the Keisei Skyliner (round trip) to downtown Tokyo and 72 hours Unlimited Metro Pass to travel around. Total cost was about 5000+Yen for the Skyliner and Metro package. Don't forget to exchange your Keisei Skyliner voucher for the actual tix before boarding.

Found some pics online so you have an idea.

post-107101-0-07170800-1521603439_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-03888400-1521603445_thumb.png

I took the Skyliner to Nippori and changed to the JR Yamanote Line to Shibuya. You can take the Skyliner to either Nippori or Ueno and change from there.

To board the JR line you'll need a Pasmo or Suica card. It works just like our ezlink. 

post-107101-0-95359000-1521604022_thumb.jpg

Because it was so cold, first thing I did was to visit Lawson for hot coffee and fried chicken once I was at Shibuya. Pretty amazed with their selections of hot canned drinks. Never had anything like it in SG. Fried chicken also solid - crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside.

post-107101-0-24094100-1521602151_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-17927400-1521602335_thumb.jpg

First proper meal upon settling down - lunch at the popular Ichiran Ramen at Shibuya. It's touted as having one of the best tonkotsu ramen in Japan if not the best out of the mass market selections. Honestly it was good! Very tasty, rich and thick pork based broth but nothing out of the ordinary. I think it's similar to Keisuke Tonkotsu King in SG. But it was damn enjoyable having a bowl of hot ramen soup while it's chilly and rainy outside.

post-107101-0-87945400-1521602351_thumb.jpg

Took the JR Yamanote line to Takeshita Street at Harajuku. This youthful shopping district is located right outside the station.

post-107101-0-15468200-1521602401_thumb.jpg

Angel's Heart crepe.

post-107101-0-90100600-1521602406_thumb.jpg

Zaku Zaku - a bit like churros with Hokkaido Cream Fillings. This is very popular with the crowd over there. I find it too rich for my liking.

post-107101-0-76319700-1521602391_thumb.jpg

Takoyaki at Harajuku.

post-107101-0-37953200-1521602372_thumb.jpg

Dinner at Harajuku Gyozaro. One of Tokyo's best Gyoza eateries. Lucky me, didn't even have to queue to get in!

post-107101-0-86679400-1521605582_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-09484700-1521605578_thumb.jpg

Ordered both the steamed version and the panfried. I like both! Love the juicy pork fillings!

post-107101-0-83088500-1521605572_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-75823900-1521605567_thumb.jpg

Lots of walking around in Shibuya and Harajuku. Steep upslope and all. I conclude the Japanese people really love walking and there are no plus size Japanese out there. Maybe there are but few! Just the walking around to get from one train line to another is enough to make me pant.

To be continued...!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 26

Looking forward to more update. 

Will be going there with my family in May also. its been a very very long time since my visit to Tokyo.

Good to know what had changed before my trip.

Thank you 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

cherry blossoms season!

tokyo is nice.. but personally think osaka is nicer... but got a smell....

I didn’t go during cherry blossom season la. Still too cold. I think now starting to bloom already haha. What smell at Osaka?

Looking forward to more update.

Will be going there with my family in May also. its been a very very long time since my visit to Tokyo.

Good to know what had changed before my trip.

Thank you

Yeap will do. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. Kinda busy now!

I didn’t go during cherry blossom season la. Still too cold. I think now starting to bloom already haha. What smell at Osaka?

iirc it was some tree which was unique to the area...   wasnt very nice imo...  

but some old castles in osaka .. the blossoms bloom is damn nice... 

Cherry blossom and autumn.....i love the colours! Whole place pink and white and autumn red and orange......lovely colours and 2 of my favourite season. Not so cold and not so hot.......winter is out....i cant stand the cold!

attachicon.gifdownload.png

So I recently went on a 7 days trip to Tokyo - my first ever visit to Japan and I thought I'll do some posts about it since it's been almost four years that I last did a travelogue style entry.

This was back in 2014:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2694643-australia-gold-coast-experience-2014-with-pictures/?hl=%2Bgold+%2Bcoast

I don't have much pictures because weather was pretty cold and rainy so I was reluctant to take my hands out of my jacket for phototaking.

Pictures are all casually snapped using iPhone 8 Plus. 

Travel dates: 7th March to 15th March. I chose these dates because flight tix via Singapore Airlines cost me just SGD650 - this would also mean missing the Sakura bloom by just a week plus but I was cool with that.

Day 1 here we go!

attachicon.gifIMG_0657.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0661.jpg

Midnight flight via SQ. Some beer before resting and inflight breakfast before landing.

When we touched down Tokyo at about 7am, it was about 3 to 4 degrees out there. 

For those who have not been to Tokyo, you will get confused with their transportation system! They have far too many different lines. So this was how I traveled from Narita Airport. I purchased tickets for the Keisei Skyliner (round trip) to downtown Tokyo and 72 hours Unlimited Metro Pass to travel around. Total cost was about 5000+Yen for the Skyliner and Metro package. Don't forget to exchange your Keisei Skyliner voucher for the actual tix before boarding.

Found some pics online so you have an idea.

attachicon.gifKeisei Skyliner_ Tokyo Subway_7.JPG

attachicon.gif1395041238-kesie-o.png

I took the Skyliner to Nippori and changed to the JR Yamanote Line to Shibuya. You can take the Skyliner to either Nippori or Ueno and change from there.

To board the JR line you'll need a Pasmo or Suica card. It works just like our ezlink. 

attachicon.gifSuica-Pasmo.jpg

Because it was so cold, first thing I did was to visit Lawson for hot coffee and fried chicken once I was at Shibuya. Pretty amazed with their selections of hot canned drinks. Never had anything like it in SG. Fried chicken also solid - crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside.

attachicon.gifIMG_0679.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0680.jpg

First proper meal upon settling down - lunch at the popular Ichiran Ramen at Shibuya. It's touted as having one of the best tonkotsu ramen in Japan if not the best out of the mass market selections. Honestly it was good! Very tasty, rich and thick pork based broth but nothing out of the ordinary. I think it's similar to Keisuke Tonkotsu King in SG. But it was damn enjoyable having a bowl of hot ramen soup while it's chilly and rainy outside.

attachicon.gifIMG_0694.JPG

Took the JR Yamanote line to Takeshita Street at Harajuku. This youthful shopping district is located right outside the station.

attachicon.gifIMG_0728.JPG

Angel's Heart crepe.

attachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPG

Zaku Zaku - a bit like churros with Hokkaido Cream Fillings. This is very popular with the crowd over there. I find it too rich for my liking.

attachicon.gifIMG_0725.jpg

Takoyaki at Harajuku.

attachicon.gifIMG_0707.jpg

Dinner at Harajuku Gyozaro. One of Tokyo's best Gyoza eateries. Lucky me, didn't even have to queue to get in!

attachicon.gifIMG_0754.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0753.JPG

Ordered both the steamed version and the panfried. I like both! Love the juicy pork fillings!

attachicon.gifIMG_0752.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0751.JPG

Lots of walking around in Shibuya and Harajuku. Steep upslope and all. I conclude the Japanese people really love walking and there are no plus size Japanese out there. Maybe there are but few! Just the walking around to get from one train line to another is enough to make me pant.

To be continued...!

Good detail trip report for my planning end of year  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

why only all food no scenery?

my wife keep pestering me to go Tokyo which i am very reluctant, i hope i can just copy your itinerary and no need to plan so much   [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Nice.....but don't just appreciate the sights and food.

Also appreciate the high service level of the people there and how considerate and polite they are as a society.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 2

my wife keep pestering me to go Tokyo which i am very reluctant, i hope i can just copy your itinerary and no need to plan so much   [laugh]

I am hoping to copy the itinerary for Tokyo + my own trip out of Tokyo.

Felt that F & E to Japan difficult to plan due to their complicated transport system.

Internal Moderator

Pardon me for the lack of scenic photos. It was raining for the first few days of my Tokyo trip so I couldn't take much. 

Turbocharged

Felt that F & E to Japan difficult to plan due to their complicated transport system.

good thing about their mrt tickets is that even if you had bought the wrong fare, you can easily just go to the side counters at the exit and pay the difference. no questions asked. fairly common occurence even for residents. it is a manned booth, just give them the tickets, they will tell you how much more to pay.

Internal Moderator

Hahaha. So you guys are counting on me for the itinerary! Well it's pretty easy to plan though if it's just Tokyo. I think it's the out of Tokyo ones that are a little more complicated. I didn't do the Hakone or Lake Kawaguchi ones though. Totally skipped Mount Fuji.

The transportation system is really damn complex. There were a couple of occasions I was just staring at my Google Map, staring at the train map and couldn't figure out which way to go. Some touristy places like what I encountered at Asakusa they have English speaking Japanese staff stationed there to offer tourists English maps/directions.

Internal Moderator

Nice.....but don't just appreciate the sights and food.

Also appreciate the high service level of the people there and how considerate and polite they are as a society.

I agree! Amazing customer service everywhere we went. Their level of hospitality is crazily high, something we ought to learn.

Pardon me for the lack of scenic photos. It was raining for the first few days of my Tokyo trip so I couldn't take much. 

It is very annoying to move around in a wet cold weather...

one step at a time, this round only Tokyo, if further out must take longer time to plan.

So BB's plan is good enough probably just add Tokyo Disney, i am not too excited   [laugh]

one step at a time, this round only Tokyo, if further out must take longer time to plan.

So BB's plan is good enough probably just add Tokyo Disney, i am not too excited   [laugh]

I think Tokyo Disney Sea will be better.

Disneyland just felt it really for <10yrs.

Last Dec went Shanghai Disneyland, even my daughter was laughing at some of the ride..

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2