He went through brain surgery while awake

StreetFight3r

The Straits Times was granted exclusive access to document an awake surgery, where doctors removed a brain tumour from patient Oh Zhi Long while he was still conscious.

Mr Oh Zhi Long, 32, discovered by accident that he had a brain tumour. Less than a week later, he lay awake in the operating theatre as surgeons removed a cancerous growth from his brain. Mr Oh and the National Neuroscience Institute gave The Straits Times exclusive access to the operation. Science editor Chang Ai-Lien, deputy picture editor Wang Hui Fen and multimedia journalist Basil Edward Teo documented this remarkable surgery and tracked his year-long journey to recovery.

https://www.facebook.com/STVideoPage/videos/559162254468581/

If you have about 8 minutes to share, I think this is worth watching. Never knew awake surgery was possible. Kudos to these doctors!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supercharged

Sauce: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/awake-brain-surgery/about/pac-20384913

Awake brain surgery, also called awake craniotomy, is a type of procedure performed on the brain while you are awake and alert. Awake brain surgery is used to treat some brain (neurological) conditions, including some brain tumors or epileptic seizures.

If your tumor or the area of your brain where your seizures occur (epileptic focus) is near the parts of your brain that control vision, movement or speech, you may need to be awake during surgery. Your surgeon may ask you questions and monitor the activity in your brain as you respond.

Your responses help your surgeon to ensure that he or she treats the correct area of your brain needing surgery. The procedure also lowers the risk of damage to functional areas of your brain that could affect your vision, movement or speech.

• Praise 3

I think maybe i will faint, cannot imagine someone cutting up my head and i stay awake!

But amazing surgery !! 

• Praise 3

I thought it's quite common for brain surgery to be done awake as the doctors need to make sure the patient senses condition.

• Praise 1

Seen quite a few documentaries where brain surgeries were done while awake. So I guess it's quite common.

• Praise 1

It's to reduce the chance of them accidentally removing normal tissue which may affect pt's speech or motor coordination. 

• Praise 3

I think maybe i will faint, cannot imagine someone cutting up my head and i stay awake!

But amazing surgery !! 

what if BB is there to talk to you ?  :D