When deal with a seller agent, how to check trustworthiness?

golden_eagle

I can see one can check CEA for the agent but there is only basic information on it. 

What are the information I shall use to ensure I am talking to a normal agent? 

Name 
Reg. No.  
Reg. Period  
Awards 
Disciplinary Actions 
Remarks 
Est. Agent Name 
Licence Number 

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I can see one can check CEA for the agent but there is only basic information on it. 

Name 
Reg. No.  
Reg. Period  
Awards 
Disciplinary Actions 
Remarks 
Est. Agent Name 
Licence Number 

What do you mean by "normal agent"? If he is licensed under CEA, then he is a proper agent.

If he is representing the other party, you can always check the following:

1) Is he professional in dealing with you so far?  Anything that makes you feel uncomfortable?

2) Is he responsive? 

3) Is he respectful?

4) Does he has true verifiable reviews?  That would give you a glimpse of what his past clients think of him.

5) Does he make sense in what he says? (taking into account that he certainly has to first put his client interest first)

6) Is he thorough in explaining the process or the paperwork to you?

7) As you sounded like a buyer, did he make a preliminary check with you on your financing options?

A trust-worthy agent, to me, has three attributes,  and you can trust me on this one as I deal with them countless times everyday

1) Attitude.  He is punctual, he inform things in advance (if needed) so that the outcome is best not just for his client but also for everyone. He tells you what he needs to also do and he delivers on time. He is  also responsive and you will always get hold of him. Basically a professional attitude.

2) Respectful.  He address you and talk to you respectfully, he is patient with your questions and he gives you honest answers. He doesn't make you feel  like someone ignorant just because he is an expert in the field.

3) Thorough. He goes through the details with you to ensure that you know the process, what to prepare, so that there is minimal hiccups during the deal for his client 

Typically a trust-worthy agent will give you a sense of comfort and professionalism the moment you interact with him. He may not sound like your best friend, but you will get a feeling that he is a man of his word and you can depend on him.  

• Praise 2

What do you mean by "normal agent"? If he is licensed under CEA, then he is a proper agent.

If he is representing the other party, you can always check the following:

1) Is he professional in dealing with you so far? Anything that makes you feel uncomfortable?

2) Is he responsive?

3) Is he respectful?

4) Does he has true verifiable reviews? That would give you a glimpse of what his past clients think of him.

5) Does he make sense in what he says? (taking into account that he certainly has to first put his client interest first)

6) Is he thorough in explaining the process or the paperwork to you?

7) As you sounded like a buyer, did he make a preliminary check with you on your financing options?

A trust-worthy agent, to me, has three attributes, and you can trust me on this one as I deal with them countless times everyday

1) Attitude. He is punctual, he inform things in advance (if needed) so that the outcome is best not just for his client but also for everyone. He tells you what he needs to also do and he delivers on time. He is also responsive and you will always get hold of him. Basically a professional attitude.

2) Respectful. He address you and talk to you respectfully, he is patient with your questions and he gives you honest answers. He doesn't make you feel like someone ignorant just because he is an expert in the field.

3) Thorough. He goes through the details with you to ensure that you know the process, what to prepare, so that there is minimal hiccups during the deal for his client

Typically a trust-worthy agent will give you a sense of comfort and professionalism the moment you interact with him. He may not sound like your best friend, but you will get a feeling that he is a man of his word and you can depend on him.

Licensed means proper agent? You haven't met agents that blatantly flout the law and still in the industry for 20+years?

Turbocharged

Licensed means proper agent? You haven't met agents that blatantly flout the law and still in the industry for 20+years?

You can always complain about him to his agency if you have your case.

The reason why they are still 20+ years running is because nobody complains them.

When I say "proper", I mean a legitimate agent. 

Edited by Icedbs

You can always complain about him to his agency if you have your case.

The reason why they are still 20+ years running is because nobody complains them.

When I say "proper", I mean a legitimate agent.

Legitimate agents doesn't mean they do things lawfully all the time. Hard to complain against someone who leaves no traces which is why I call her the queen of undertable money. She is the only agent I know with the audacity to ask money from the buyer when she is representing the seller.

Turbocharged

Legitimate agents doesn't mean they do things lawfully all the time. Hard to complain against someone who leaves no traces which is why I call her the queen of undertable money. She is the only agent I know with the audacity to ask money from the buyer when she is representing the seller.

Legitimate means they are licensed and they have been re-qualified yearly by CEA after running through a series of checks against certain criteria.  

Ethical or not is not for me to judge.  

This thread is really about helping TS in identifying trust-worthy agents. If you have certain issue with other agents, I suggest you bring it to their agency.

• Praise 2

Legitimate means they are licensed and they have been re-qualified yearly by CEA after running through a series of checks against certain criteria.

Ethical or not is not for me to judge.

This thread is really about helping TS in identifying trust-worthy agents. If you have certain issue with other agents, I suggest you bring it to their agency.

TS is talking about finding a trustworthy agent, hence helping to avert from untrustworthy agents is also a help.
  • Praise 1

To get information about new agent for real estate you must have to focus the points that will help you finding a good agent as below

Experience of agent in real estate business dealings.

Discussion with people about the track record of agent .

Residence Address of agent is helpful in case he makes fraud with you.

Trying to look for hints on if the agents got into obvious problems so i can avoid. 

Normal here I mean as long as they do their proper job like the other 80% of the agents out there. 

Turbocharged

Trying to look for hints on if the agents got into obvious problems so i can avoid. 

Normal here I mean as long as they do their proper job like the other 80% of the agents out there. 

Bro.....based on my daily workings with co-broke agents, I believe most of them are honest decent people.They know their job well.

My only issue with some of them is unresponsiveness.  Sometimes they take their time to reply or never reply at all. But other than that, I have not come across anyone who tries to do funny stuff.  With CEA watching these days, agents do try to follow the regulations.

Anyway, if you are so worried about agents, why don't just PM me? I will see how to help you.

Edited by Icedbs

Bro.....based on my daily workings with co-broke agents, I believe most of them are honest decent people.They know their job well.

My only issue with some of them is unresponsiveness.  Sometimes they take their time to reply or never reply at all. But other than that, I have not come across anyone who tries to do funny stuff.  With CEA watching these days, agents do try to follow the regulations.

Anyway, if you are so worried about agents, why don't just PM me? I will see how to help you.

So far so good I think. And thank you. 

Name 
Reg. No.  
Reg. Period  
Awards 
Disciplinary Actions 
Remarks 
Est. Agent Name 
Licence Number 

All things you mentioned is great to check the trustworhiness. However, it would be good if you get the agent contact from your friend who used the agent before.

Twincharged

although my reply here is basically worthless, but truth is ….. LUCK.

friends or relatives recommend one also not 100% trust worthy or reliable.

it will just be your luck when you chance upon a service provider who is having a great run and making money from it and this person will give you good and worthy service.

if you chance upon a person who WAS having a great run but sway sway two weeks ago donated lots of money to MBS, then luck also will run out on you.

My colleague of 3 years recommended me to a used car person whom he used to sell/buy his 3 cars previously … and end up the @$%$%@# con me of nearly $20k !!

↡ Advertisement