Renting a car in Bangkok

Galantspeedz

haha i going on friday, i booked with hertz through IHG website. total 4.2k baht for 5D4N and unlimited mileage, have not added insurance though... will add on when i am there...

I also considering going hua hin if i am free....

which app you using for directions? I intending to use Google map or Waze

Waze seems not working well in Thailand. I had to used Google map
↡ Advertisement

haha i going on friday, i booked with hertz through IHG website. total 4.2k baht for 5D4N and unlimited mileage, have not added insurance though... will add on when i am there... mine is the smallest cat though, yaris or similar

I also considering going hua hin if i am free....

which app you using for directions? I intending to use Google map or Waze

I will be using Waze and Maps.me, bring two mobile phone.

On the way back to BKK, will be stopping over at Maeklong Railway Market for lunch. It is 1 hour drive from BKK city.

thanks... so guess google is sufficient ?

Yes. Don't bother to rent the GPS from Hertz. Just bring along a hand phone holder.

Wow, u got it for so cheap. U rented for 5 days right?

I search Hertz and it was expensive also for 2 days of rental for an Altis. So I settled for the cheapest I googled.

Hahaha. Just notice I got a typo on the rental price.

Should be total $325 for 5D include all insurance

Yes. Don't bother to rent the GPS from Hertz. Just bring along a hand phone holder.

Hahaha. Just notice I got a typo on the rental price.

Should be total $325 for 5D include all insurance

ok thanks.... now need to find a handphone holder lol

ok thanks.... now need to find a handphone holder lol

I bringing hp holder and car camera also!!! I have also prepared, 12V splitter with multiple USB plugs. Also portable HDD to store the footage.

HP holder also can use on plane.

All ready for roadtrip in BKK. [drivingcar]

And bringing my Mavic Pro to shoot aerial video in Hua Hin. [:p] I just hope Thai customs dont ask too much with all my gears. [:/]

I bringing hp holder and car camera also!!! I have also prepared, 12V splitter with multiple USB plugs. Also portable HDD to store the footage.

HP holder also can use on plane.

All ready for roadtrip in BKK. [drivingcar]

And bringing my Mavic Pro to shoot aerial video in Hua Hin. [:p] I just hope Thai customs dont ask too much with all my gears. [:/]

i am sure a couple of bahts will solve your issues lol

regarding drone, this may help you

https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-thailand/

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2017/10/how-to-register-your-drone-in-thailand/

Bad bad idea to drive in Bangkok. Worst traffic condition. 

However, its a good idea to drive to Hua Hin or Pattaya. 

Dont waste time on their GPS, our handphone Google Map will do.

Supercharged

Hi guys,

First time trying to rent a car in Bangkok

Anything to look out for and which are the more reliable rental agents

What is the total deposit required and additional charges? E.g. how much is their insurance with 0 excess

And I read just produce our Singapore driving licence will do

I check for 5 days 4 nights at Hertz is less than sgd $200 for yaris equivalent .

Likely moving only around bangkok, yes I know mrt is easier but intend to try out driving a car in bangkok

i would not suggest driving inside Bkk. certain parts of the road becomes 1 way during peak hours. if u drive accidentally drive in, be prepared to pay. don't drive during beginning & end of the mth especially at night, pay day the locals tend to spend on booze. drink driving accidents quite high during these time of the month. n if u hv to drive in Bkk, be extra careful around buses & motorbikes. they don't signal.

n seriously get IDL, don't give police a reason to detain you during road blocks just bcos u don't hv it. i know certain rental coy might say no need but why risk it.  (hv experienced it afew times)

hv fun driving in Bkk.

• Praise 1

Back from my trip to BKK and Hua Hin.

Car rental shops at airport terminal, Arrival Gate 8 to 9.

post-2654-0-90118700-1522760869_thumb.jpg

Booked a Toyota Altis 1.6A. Thorough inspection by the representative. All scratches and knocks were noted.

post-2654-0-99007300-1522760948_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-63939400-1522760961_thumb.jpg

The car has very very dark tint, cant see inside from outside. Inside MSCP, have to drive very very slowly to see my way around. Somemore their shopping mall and hotel MSCP are dimly lit. See the car tint at the rest stop under bright sunshine.

post-2654-0-13435100-1522761076_thumb.jpg

Car collected mileage.

post-2654-0-25360300-1522761105_thumb.jpg

Car return mileage.

post-2654-0-77940400-1522761125_thumb.jpg

The two petrol top ups I did, Shell 91 and Esso 91.

post-2654-0-06537800-1522761166_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-64894600-1522761178_thumb.jpg

Overall, the car was in ok condition. But seriously lack of power. I think its the gearbox or fuel or being a 1.6L car. From airport, it was super jam. esp near BKK city. Further out, then can stretch, travelling at 120km/h. About 3 hrs drive from airport to Hua Hin, including the jams. Also do note there is toll on the highway, 40 baht for travelling out of BKK and 50 baht when travelling towards BKK. Right lanes lead to Easy Pass counters. I use the center lanes, pay cash.

Inside BKK downtown. Alamak!!! Its jam jam jam. Just to exit the highway, its 15-20mins wait.

More on Hua Hin in Hua Hin thread. See u there.

• Praise 1

i am back from bkk too... i seriously don't find the jam as bad.... overall hotel to airport or nearby is less than an hour...airport, chocolate ville, siam park

and around bangkok is less than half hour like chatuchak, asiatique, patpong market, chinatown, etc

i was given a new car by hertz with only 78km done...

next time likely will just drive in BKK

thanks all for the advice

I think depends on which hotel u staying. I was staying in Grand Diamond Suites, next door to Platinum Mall. That road, Phechatburi Road is jammed day and night. Exiting the carpark, need security guard help to stop traffic to exit.

Travel to Chatuchak market also take 1 hour. On the the way back, we request to alight early and the cab driver was so happy. We were like sitting in the cab for 20mins w/o moving.

Then travel to Esplanade shopping mall, also one hour and stuck in traffic jam, friday evening. On the way back, stuck in jam, not moving for a good 30mins cos train was crossing. Coming back, also drop off early cos of the jam outside Platinum Mall.

If not staying around Platinum Mall area, then can consider driving. Around there, can forget it. Walking is much faster.

Supercharged

do you guys rent from the airport directly or via online website?

Its kinda early, i'm thinking of going to khao kho and khao yao next year.

I google and rent from website.

• Praise 1

I think depends on which hotel u staying. I was staying in Grand Diamond Suites, next door to Platinum Mall. That road, Phechatburi Road is jammed day and night. Exiting the carpark, need security guard help to stop traffic to exit.

Travel to Chatuchak market also take 1 hour. On the the way back, we request to alight early and the cab driver was so happy. We were like sitting in the cab for 20mins w/o moving.

Then travel to Esplanade shopping mall, also one hour and stuck in traffic jam, friday evening. On the way back, stuck in jam, not moving for a good 30mins cos train was crossing. Coming back, also drop off early cos of the jam outside Platinum Mall.

If not staying around Platinum Mall area, then can consider driving. Around there, can forget it. Walking is much faster.

i stayed at holiday inn express siam.... i love it that they have smoking room

i rented from website. anyway no deposit needed

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1