Oakley

Discoburg

Everything is cheaper in China yet the Chinese flock overseas (pre-COVID) to 买名牌 by the suitcase and with full cash, so much so that aside from Chinatown, the one other place you are guaranteed to find Mandarin signs in United States would be the Premium Outlets. 

Why that is so, I think you also know. Some things can buy from China, some things cannot. 

However I personally think that Oakleys are not very good, even though I had three pairs of their sunglasses over the years. The fit for my face is good and it doesn't slip down when you're sweaty, but their lens coating really cannot make it. I am using Ikon replacement lenses in my current pair which lasted better than the originals. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

3 hours ago, Arogab said:

Branded items I think ok lah. But if $6 items bring in here with bulk discount and shipping that cost less than $10 and selling you at $30 I think is also exorbitant leh. Or maybe I not good at doing business. Still end of the day, in this line. my comment is many people tend to go look for cheaper source. Like my friends go Malaysia, some people I know go to those lower end older shops and I buy from  China cos I got the opportunity. Just comments lah. These few day got more MCF time. Haha

Ah! I for one wouldn’t pay for Oakley oem. Trust the branding behind the product. Always have a thinking good things ain’t cheap, cheap things ain’t good.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
13 hours ago, Discoburg said:

Ah! I for one wouldn’t pay for Oakley oem. Trust the branding behind the product. Always have a thinking good things ain’t cheap, cheap things ain’t good.

I also trust to pay higher for good brands and I understand their quality, advertising or overheads. But I will never pay for some things that are at low cost and cutting your throat for big profits where I feel they don't deserve. Example, I know they bring in this item from somewhere with no branding and no advertising at low cost and ripped you off at high price. I don't pay for that 

• Haha! 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Arogab said:

I also trust to pay higher for good brands and I understand their quality, advertising or overheads. But I will never pay for some things that are at low cost and cutting your throat for big profits where I feel they don't deserve. Example, I know they bring in this item from somewhere with no branding and no advertising at low cost and ripped you off at high price. I don't pay for that 

I don’t think Oakley is Low cost leh. The frames are pretty high in standard for metal and non metal.

Then you wouldn’t wanna see the clothes I buy. China selling at a fraction of what I paid. 

Edited by Discoburg
  • Praise 1

16 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Everything is cheaper in China yet the Chinese flock overseas (pre-COVID) to 买名牌 by the suitcase and with full cash, so much so that aside from Chinatown, the one other place you are guaranteed to find Mandarin signs in United States would be the Premium Outlets. 

Why that is so, I think you also know. Some things can buy from China, some things cannot. 

However I personally think that Oakleys are not very good, even though I had three pairs of their sunglasses over the years. The fit for my face is good and it doesn't slip down when you're sweaty, but their lens coating really cannot make it. I am using Ikon replacement lenses in my current pair which lasted better than the originals. 

Try the Asian fit versions. More suited for asians heads.

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Discoburg said:

I don’t think Oakley is Low cost leh. The frames are pretty high in standard for metal and non metal.

Haha, for me, I feel it is fashion branded and I am not a fan to it. (Still it is classified as Branded, as they have designer and advertising, quality and overheads). But to others, some may say it has quality, good and lasting just like my buddy as they are fan to it. To each his own. I loved watches, he loves Oakley. I don't pay for Oakley, he don't pay for watches. Is normal. There are more items too

• Haha! 2

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Haha, for me, I feel it is fashion branded and I am not a fan to it. (Still it is classified as Branded, as they have designer and advertising, quality and overheads). But to others, some may say it has quality, good and lasting just like my buddy as they are fan to it. To each his own. I loved watches, he loves Oakley. I don't pay for Oakley, he don't pay for watches. Is normal. There are more items too

Exactly. So you cannot say China cheap and this and that. It’s how we value and treat the product. I for one wouldn’t buy anything much from China. Famous for fake goods.

have a friend told me the tees I buy in Japan is only 20% of the price I pay for. I also wouldn’t buy it from China though.

Edited by Discoburg

Turbocharged

I had a plastic Oakley frame (Crosslink) for prescription glasses. Pretty durable. Have not used it daily for maybe 4 years already as the eye holes are too small to hold progressive lenses. I still use it for daily exercises as it has really good grip and is fairly light.

However, the rubber sheaths on the legs don't last. The real replacements are not cheap. So I buy the chiong ones which are way cheaper. And they are just as good. Once spoiled, just replace.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, Arogab said:

The Oakleys I tried on are not terribly expensive. Maybe around $250 per frame. Plastic ones. There are many more spectacle brands which are more expensive, esp if they are titanium. But I do agree with you that for all branded goods, marketing and advertising and upmarket pricing do push up the selling price.

It's like aircon filter, brake pads etc. Buy the "name your car brand here" one or the OEM one. Different pricing. Prob same quality. Same same but different. To each his/her own. 😁

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

But I do agree with you that for all branded goods, marketing and advertising and upmarket pricing do push up the selling price.

That’s normal. The company have to pump in money for their branding, marketing, stocking etc

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
55 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

I had a plastic Oakley frame (Crosslink) for prescription glasses. Pretty durable. Have not used it daily for maybe 4 years already as the eye holes are too small to hold progressive lenses. I still use it for daily exercises as it has really good grip and is fairly light.

However, the rubber sheaths on the legs don't last. The real replacements are not cheap. So I buy the chiong ones which are way cheaper. And they are just as good. Once spoiled, just replace.

China can only buy "Non-branded" stuffs which are a fraction of the prices we see elsewhere. They are only good for this.

For branded ones, I witness myself, either 高防 or they are real with internal using recycled internal. Thus, never really trust. I always mention that it is sad that the Chinese cannot even trust their own people. 

Nevertheless, we chat for info

Turbocharged
56 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

The Oakleys I tried on are not terribly expensive. Maybe around $250 per frame. Plastic ones. There are many more spectacle brands which are more expensive, esp if they are titanium. But I do agree with you that for all branded goods, marketing and advertising and upmarket pricing do push up the selling price.

It's like aircon filter, brake pads etc. Buy the "name your car brand here" one or the OEM one. Different pricing. Prob same quality. Same same but different. To each his/her own. 😁

At least like we all say, branded pump in the design, people and advertising. We just don't wanna spoil market lor

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Arogab said:

China can only buy "Non-branded" stuffs which are a fraction of the prices we see elsewhere. They are only good for this.

For branded ones, I witness myself, either 高防 or they are real with internal using recycled internal. Thus, never really trust. I always mention that it is sad that the Chinese cannot even trust their own people. 

Nevertheless, we chat for info

I buy clothing from mass-market brands on their TaoBao shop whenever there is a sale.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

23 hours ago, Arogab said:

Just my 2 cents worth, the wear over sunglass I have from the SGP petrol station cost $30 (150 RMB), the same items is only 30 RMB when I got it in China. My titanium frame with progressive lens in SGP cost me $1200 (6000 RMB) while the same one I got in China is just 2000 RMB using the same top grade lenses. I have goggles for playing basketball, it cost $200 here for frame alone and just 60RMB for buying the same thing in China. I have a friend in the eyewear business, they double up or even triple up the prices. These days makes it worse as all have to get the cert to run the shop. Damn expensive. Even these days, people go to JB or Malaysia to make glasses if no lockdown

Anyway let’s talk about Oakley here. You should start a new thread of cheap goods to buy in China.

• Praise 1