2019 Toyota RAV4

DACH

BM has nailed the sweet spot with the Rav4 pricing but at the expense of the Head Unit and some trims (which many buyers in at this price point would consider unnecessary). If they upgrade the HU to something more decent, I think it will sell well despite its less appealing design (than CX-5). Then again looks are very subjective. A man's meat is another's poison ...

The HU we seen at the showroom is unique, it is not the ordinary 2-DIN type. This flat back HU has become common for Toyota USA and Europe markets but Asia and Japan still stick on 2-DIN type.

If BM take the LCD w/ carply HU directly from factory, it will increase the OMV alot and hard to maintain at competitive selling price.

Most of the Toyota models BM ordered from factory are without HU and locally installed the OEM HU. Flat back HU is uncommon in our market and have to source this maybe from Europe/USA, price is always the main factor.

Flat back HU

post-39401-0-38699000-1550482107.jpg

JDM/ASIA 2-DIN HU

post-39401-0-45714200-1550482114.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

With some important difference...  Taiwanese get to enjoy the FACTORY INSTALLED 9in Toyota Connect screen while we sinkies pay $125k for some early 2000s 11 segment cold LED display..

And then try to convince yourself why Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Reverse cam with dynamic guidelines are not required in your Rav4... or that $125k is a fair price to pay for so many equipment deletion. 

Oh Taiwanese get to enjoy the 2.5L Dynamic Force engine and 8AT from the Camry as well as the hybrid.. We got a small 2L engine and a sissy CVT 

The 2.0L is a new Dynamic Force engine with 170hp/107kW, it's no 2.5 but it's not a slouch either (Harrier 2.0NA is 150hp). US Corolla was the first model to intro this engine, together with the CVT. We probably won't see the 2.0 Corolla in SG though.

Toyota is developing both 8/10AT and CVT as new gen ones with further improvements. To each his own on gearbox preferences, but efficiency/tech wise it shouldn't be scoffed at.

Did anyone checking out the RAV4 find out if this CVT on the local RAV4 has a physical launch gear? If yes, it is the latest gen CVT toyota developed to reduced the rubber band effect for initial acceleration: https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain2018/cvt/

• Praise 1

haha ,since when we pay fair price to buy a car in sg?ððð

Because of the silly tax structure here.

The 2.0L is a new Dynamic Force engine with 170hp/107kW, it's no 2.5 but it's not a slouch either (Harrier 2.0NA is 150hp). US Corolla was the first model to intro this engine, together with the CVT. We probably won't see the 2.0 Corolla in SG though.

Toyota is developing both 8/10AT and CVT as new gen ones with further improvements. To each his own on gearbox preferences, but efficiency/tech wise it shouldn't be scoffed at.

Did anyone checking out the RAV4 find out if this CVT on the local RAV4 has a physical launch gear? If yes, it is the latest gen CVT toyota developed to reduced the rubber band effect for initial acceleration: https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain2018/cvt/

Yes it has a physical pickup 1st gear... but... why so complicated... just use conventional torque converter AT will do.

Its like you have to resort to 'old style' tech to boost its efficiency when your high tech CVT couldn't muster. 

PI can and will bring in the 2L DF G12 Corolla hatch. They already got a few hybrid Corolla in liao 

Yes it has a physical pickup 1st gear... but... why so complicated... just use conventional torque converter AT will do.

Its like you have to resort to 'old style' tech to boost its efficiency when your high tech CVT couldn't muster.

PI can and will bring in the 2L DF G12 Corolla hatch. They already got a few hybrid Corolla in liao

You are Kia7200 using another nick?
  • Praise 2

Hi guys,

I am thinking of changing ny wife's PI Harrier to the new TNGA Rav4.

We bought the Harrier at extremely high COE. So it is quite tempting for us to change to a new car now at current COE prices.

Power wise doesn't matter as my wife is not a fast/aggressive driver.

How is the interior space compared to the Harrier? Especially for driver and rear passengers.

I like the new RAV4 because of the TNGA and higher ground clearance. 185mm vs 155m.

The boot looks bigger too.

As i am someone who dont like to trouble or waste the SA's time and we will feel very paiseh if we test drive and never buy in the end.

So prefer to get some feedbacks here first.

Thanks in advance for any advices.

• Praise 2

Space wise is somewhat similar, boot space is somewhat slightly deeper I feel. Drive is good. Soaks up bumps n humps to a large extent, probably due to thicker 18" tires n types of suspension employed. Note engine noise is quite audible when u ref it. HU is a major letdown as opined by many.

If I haven't bot a car recently, I'd give this car a serious thot, until other makers come out with a more "attractive" and value for money model

Hi guys,

We bought the Harrier at extremely high COE. So it is quite tempting for us to change to a new car now at current COE prices.

How is the interior space compared to the Harrier? Especially for driver and rear passengers.

I like the new RAV4 because of the TNGA and higher ground clearance. 185mm vs 155m.

As i am someone who dont like to trouble or waste the SA's time and we will feel very paiseh if we test drive and never buy in the end.

RAV4 : New 2.0 Dynamic Force engine + new CVT with launch gear

Harrier: 2.0 Valvematic engine + old CVT

Power: RAV4 may be slightly faster

Fuel economy: Should be similar

Refinement: Harrier better

Boot: Should be similar

Interior: Harrier should be nicer, higher class materials

Support: Of course better to go with Borneo than PI

Conclusion: No reason to go RAV4 on technical features alone. Buy only if you want to get back warranty and good quality after sales support.

• Praise 1

The price is really quite attractive for the TGNA, the new dynamic engine and CVT gearbox.

Without driving it, i already think it will be a much better drive than the NA Harrier... With higher BHP and a better gearbox.

Hi guys,

You can try go for the test drive during times when the showrooms are less crowded if you feel paiseh about troubling the SEs.

For example, during weekdays.

As much as we can give advises here, it is still best to go for a test drive to decide whether the car suits your needs and driving feel.

Space wise is somewhat similar, boot space is somewhat slightly deeper I feel. Drive is good. Soaks up bumps n humps to a large extent, probably due to thicker 18" tires n types of suspension employed. Note engine noise is quite audible when u ref it. HU is a major letdown as opined by many.

If I haven't bot a car recently, I'd give this car a serious thot, until other makers come out with a more "attractive" and value for money model

Agree HU is a let down and for some, it can be a deal breaker. Ask the SE for the optional upgrade (top up a few thousands) to a touchscreen HU with Apple Car Play and Android Auto with reverse camera. Alternative is to go for an aftermarket upgrade and there are plenty to consider from.
  • Praise 2

Agree HU is a let down and for some, it can be a deal breaker. Ask the SE for the optional upgrade (top up a few thousands) to a touchscreen HU with Apple Car Play and Android Auto with reverse camera. Alternative is to go for an aftermarket upgrade and there are plenty to consider from.

I checked with BM, the upgrade is also applicable to those put deposit before the price revision, top up 2500 sgd and you get a Clarion 9 inch touch screen HU with reverse camera. Is it considered a good deal? or BM want to chop carrot again?=)

• Praise 2

I checked with BM, the upgrade is also applicable to those put deposit before the price revision, top up 2500 sgd and you get a Clarion 9 inch touch screen HU with reverse camera. Is it considered a good deal? or BM want to chop carrot again?=)

There are some new and very slick pioneer 2din units just released.... One model can actually install screen separate from the din, fits this rav4 very well. All have carplay n AA.

https://sg.pioneercarentertainment.com/product/series_z/DMH-ZS8250BT

There are some new and very slick pioneer 2din units just released.... One model can actually install screen separate from the din, fits this rav4 very well. All have carplay n AA.

https://sg.pioneercarentertainment.com/product/series_z/DMH-ZS8250BT

Yes! And there's option to consider others like the Alpine Halo 9

https://www.alpine-usa.com/company/press/2019/alpine-electronics-expands-the-glow-of-its-halo-with-the-ilx-f259

This is an upgrade over the Alpine Halo 9 ilx-f309 which came out in 2018. The latest ilx-f259 will be out in 1st quarter 2019, probably around the time when the first few deliveries of RAV4 are brought into Singapore.

Just to share some options.

Hi guys,

I went to see both the Harrier and RAV4 during the car show earlier this year and subsequently went for the test drive when it is available.

The rear passenger space for both cars are very similar since they are on the same platform. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MC_platform#New_MC

What caught me is that the RAV4 CVT doesn't feel like a cvt gb and it has 10 speed. No lag to your right foot response and no cvt whine. Cabin sound insulation is quiet. The enigine does not feel strained when pushed. When cruising at 100km/hr on the expressway I look at the rpm needle it's just below 1500rpm. I think this is unheard of. Most cars' engine speed is at 2000rpm at this speed.

To be honest the Harrier interior feels dated after you go into the RAV4. The Harrier has been around for some time. It's only the turbo engine is introduced later. Go see it for yourself.

As for Toyota's claim... the 40% thermal dynamic efficiency. I have some doubts. Mercedes 2017 AMG F1 acheieved 50% and it's turbocharged. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112999_mercedes-amg-f1-engine-achieves-50-percent-thermal-efficiency

In layman terms thermal dynamic efficiency means "useful" heat energy. The rest of the 50% heat energy is wasted as heat. LoL...

To me it's a bold claim considering what a typical noramlly asperated internal combustion engine has 15%-20% thermal dynamic efficiency.

I think it's mostly marketing. But the 10 speed cvt is certainly no slouch it doesn't feel sloggish and at cruising speed you know from the rpm the fuel economy is going to be good.

I think a test drive will say a lot. Most ppl compares it with the CX-5 but mostly on the luxury and interior which turns them on. LoL...

The HU can always get an aftermarket unit since it doesn't control the aircon. For some cars the infotainment unit also controls the airconditioning. There's no complexity in installing a touchscreen unit and there's no need to spend a bomb on it. You even get to choose what you like.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 7