2019 Toyota RAV4

DACH

Was free yesterday so went to bm Ubi check out the rav4. Coming from a vellfire, I am very impressed with the space. Rear leg and head room was generous, and the boot is huge! It comes with a spare as well, but forgot if it is a full size spare or a space saver. In the front, apart from the lame hu, it’s pretty nice as well. Comes with memory seats for the driver side and a wireless charger below the climate control, which i thought was a nice touch. Wish it had a sunroof or moonroof though, but that’s not a dealbreaker. Was shocked that the price is now $138k and I think after all the overtrades and discounts it’s about $132k(?), which is pretty high compared to the $120k launch price. The white unit in the showroom is pretty nice, but my choice would be an urban khaki and I’m probably gonna wrap the roof black. Hopefully the price will drop and PI starts to bring in the hybrid version.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Was free yesterday so went to bm Ubi check out the rav4. Coming from a vellfire, I am very impressed with the space. Rear leg and head room was generous, and the boot is huge! It comes with a spare as well, but forgot if it is a full size spare or a space saver. In the front, apart from the lame hu, it’s pretty nice as well. Comes with memory seats for the driver side and a wireless charger below the climate control, which i thought was a nice touch. Wish it had a sunroof or moonroof though, but that’s not a dealbreaker. Was shocked that the price is now $138k and I think after all the overtrades and discounts it’s about $132k(?), which is pretty high compared to the $120k launch price. The white unit in the showroom is pretty nice, but my choice would be an urban khaki and I’m probably gonna wrap the roof black. Hopefully the price will drop and PI starts to bring in the hybrid version.

When it launched at SG motor show in Jan, the COE was 30k. Now the COE is 50k.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

The spare is full size.

Regarding sunroof/moonroof, agreed. I only open up my sunroof less then 10 times in 5 years. Singapore weather so hot .. 

• Praise 3

The spare is full size.

Regarding sunroof/moonroof, agreed. I only open up my sunroof less then 10 times in 5 years. Singapore weather so hot ..

For me I only open the shade, but not the actual sunroof/moonroof. Just prefer more natural light in the cabin
  • Praise 2

Do not understand why RAV4 is not being promoted aggressively. It's an easy sell for SUV seekers.

Spacious, nice looking, 6.0L/100km (even better than smaller Altis!!!!), good cabin quality, competitive pricing. Heard good driving dynamics.

Can't see how CHR or other brands can compete. I like the new Camry very much but if buy, will think very hard why not getting RAV4 instead.

• Praise 2

Do not understand why RAV4 is not being promoted aggressively. It's an easy sell for SUV seekers.

Spacious, nice looking, 6.0L/100km (even better than smaller Altis!!!!), good cabin quality, competitive pricing. Heard good driving dynamics.

Can't see how CHR or other brands can compete. I like the new Camry very much but if buy, will think very hard why not getting RAV4 instead.

i do see BM promoting on radio and billboards, even roping in joseph schooling

Do u currently own one? i seriously doubt it can get 6l/100km, for a 2l NA, 1500kg suv.

there are many choices  in this mid sized suv range; outlander (124k), crv (144K), rav4 (138k), cx5 (134k), skoda kodiaq (151k), forester (127k)....

price wise, outlander cheapest

power wise, crv highest hp

looks, debatable, cx5 for me

space wise, i think cx5 is smallest, the rest comparable

CHR is a much smaller suv, probably appeal to different set of buyers

• Praise 3

Starting to see a whole lot of them on the roads recently. Suspect they already are being sold at volume.

I see them more regularly than the CRV (which I have) and that's been on the market for 2 years longer.

My feel is that BM need to get their act together on the Clarion HU before they start really promoting it at volume. Disgraceful that you have to pay $3000 for an item that should be standard. Even more disgraceful that if you pay the $3k, it has to be installed a few months after delivery of the vehicle.

• Praise 3

Starting to see a whole lot of them on the roads recently. Suspect they already are being sold at volume.

I see them more regularly than the CRV (which I have) and that's been on the market for 2 years longer.

My feel is that BM need to get their act together on the Clarion HU before they start really promoting it at volume. Disgraceful that you have to pay $3000 for an item that should be standard. Even more disgraceful that if you pay the $3k, it has to be installed a few months after delivery of the vehicle.

Very simple, 3rd Audio installer waiting for HU stocks and it takes time to install , test and deliver ( new ) car to owner/s, not forgetting once handed over to owner, you are responsible to deal with 3rd parte directly for any defect, BM wash their hands off . . . plus payment by BM to installer is delayed due to ay issues.dispute,or complaint, not many want to take on such responsibilities. Sillyporeans like to KPKU and post here.  [drivingcar]

• Praise 1

i do see BM promoting on radio and billboards, even roping in joseph schooling

Do u currently own one? i seriously doubt it can get 6l/100km, for a 2l NA, 1500kg suv.

there are many choices  in this mid sized suv range; outlander (124k), crv (144K), rav4 (138k), cx5 (134k), skoda kodiaq (151k), forester (127k)....

price wise, outlander cheapest

power wise, crv highest hp

looks, debatable, cx5 for me

space wise, i think cx5 is smallest, the rest comparable

CHR is a much smaller suv, probably appeal to different set of buyers

6.0L/100km also find difficult to believe. But seems it is Toyota new Dynamic Force Engine which claim to have very high heat efficiency. I was never interested in SUV until I saw this 6.0L/100km.

Any owner has feedback?

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Very simple, 3rd Audio installer waiting for HU stocks and it takes time to install , test and deliver ( new ) car to owner/s, not forgetting once handed over to owner, you are responsible to deal with 3rd parte directly for any defect, BM wash their hands off . . . plus payment by BM to installer is delayed due to ay issues.dispute,or complaint, not many want to take on such responsibilities. Sillyporeans like to KPKU and post here.  [drivingcar]

The BM 3k topup option, apparently they will take care of any issues from a post-sales support perspective.....

6.0L/100km also find difficult to believe. But seems it is Toyota new Dynamic Force Engine which claim to have very high heat efficiency. I was never interested in SUV until I saw this 6.0L/100km.

Any owner has feedback?

For the first couple for weeks, I did 70% highway and 30% city and I got 14-15km/L on the tank average

But with start/stop city driving, it will be similar to any other 2L car.I can get anywhere from 8.5km/L to 11.5km/L on trip average.

May need continuous highway driving, like M'sia North/South highway, to establish if 6L/100km (16km/L) is possible.

For sharing.

• Praise 1

Any owner has feedback?

Haha, just a while back the RAV4 was doing like 6km/L, now become 6L/100km.

For the first couple for weeks, I did 70% highway and 30% city and I got 14-15km/L on the tank average

But with start/stop city driving, it will be similar to any other 2L car.I can get anywhere from 8.5km/L to 11.5km/L on trip average.

May need continuous highway driving, like M'sia North/South highway, to establish if 6L/100km (16km/L) is possible.

For sharing.

With 100% highway without stopping, an SUV can get upto 19-20km/L. 

post-158018-0-73959600-1557193350_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

(edited)

Let's do the math since so many ppl here grumble and whine about the absence of a good head unit.

The car's omv or cost price is around 30K. We round it up for easy calculations.

Let's add in the price of the headunit. Let's say the same 3K with the mic and reverse camera and wire hardness all in.

Final omv becomes 33K. OK?

When it reaches our shores...the first 20K (omv) tax 100% + the rest 13K tax 140% = 20K + 18.2K = 38.2K (this is tax only).

OMV + TAX = 33K + 38.2K = 71.2K (vs 64K, w/o the head unit that you want)

How much do you think you paid for the head unit that came standard with the car? The diff is 71.2K vs 64K.

To me I dont want to pay more dan 7K for a head unit when I can just go to an audio shop and install a compatible Pioneer for 1K+.

Now you see why PI dont have any headunit in their cars. You want cheap...there you go, install your own.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 5

(edited)

Let's do the math since so many ppl here grumble and whine about the absence of a good head unit.

The car's omv or cost price is around 30K. We round it up for easy calculations.

Let's add in the price of the headunit. Let's say the same 3K with the mic and reverse camera and wire hardness all in.

When it reaches our shores...the first 20K (omv) tax 100% + the rest 13K tax 140% = 20K + 18.2K = 38.2K (this is tax only).

How much do you think you paid for the head unit that came standard with the car? The diff is 71.2K vs 64K.

To me I dont want to pay more dan 7K for a head unit when I can just go to an audio shop and install a compatible Pioneer for 1K+.

Now you see why PI dont have any headunit in their cars. You want cheap...there you go, install your own.

Couple of variables that aren't being considered:

1) Why is BM charging $3k+ on a HU that likely costs them only $1000 (and likely significantly less since they would negotiate a better rate)?

2) Why can't BM reduce their (already) significant margins to absorb the costs of the HU, which is a standard feature?  Instead of oncharging everything to the customer?

AD's seem to profit on every variable, even on variables they shouldn't be profiting on (e.g. CoE):

- Profit on OMV

- Profit on CoE

- Profit on Services/Accessories

There isn't a sense of balance, where you lose some here and profit elsewhere to drive a good outcome for the consumer.

I understand that AD's aren't charities and are in it for the profit, but I also don't fully understand why so many people defend the AD's when they are clearly taking advantage of their monopoly status with car brands.  Consumers should be driving AD's to be more competitive - not the other way around.

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Did the calculation.

Assuming all todays costs (omv, coe, GST, arf, excise, reg fee, ves b) the base cost of the car is exactly $119k without dealer margin. That's based on onemotoring's omv for rav4 @ $29506.

At current RRP that means dealer margin is roughly $19.8k.

Assume it costs Toyota about $400 to add a LCD headunit, which is the cost of a midrange android tablet (what an LCD HU really is). Also ignoring that it'll cost Toyota much less than this due to volume with suppliers. Then the base cost goes to $119.85k. So $850 increase. That reduces dealer margin to $19k.

$850 is nothing to BM, even on volume. Instead they don't absorb, they decide they are going to charge you 3 times that amount for the an aftermarket HU. Heck, even if you added as an option, most buyers would say "$850, sure no problem, I'll pay". I would say most would even pay $1k for the HU, giving the dealer even more margin.

Instead BM wants some crazy 300% margin on an accessory that should be standard. That's called price gouging.

Puts things into perspective.

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 1

Did the calculation.

Assuming all todays costs (omv, coe, GST, arf, excise, reg fee, ves b) the base cost of the car is exactly $119k without dealer margin. That's based on onemotoring's omv for rav4 @ $29506.

At current RRP that means dealer margin is roughly $19.8k.

Assume it costs Toyota about $400 to add a LCD headunit, which is the cost of a midrange android tablet (what an LCD HU really is). Also ignoring that it'll cost Toyota much less than this due to volume with suppliers. Then the base cost goes to $119.85k. So $850 increase. That reduces dealer margin to $19k.

$850 is nothing to BM, even on volume. Instead they don't absorb, they decide they are going to charge you 3 times that amount for the an aftermarket HU. Heck, even if you added as an option, most buyers would say "$850, sure no problem, I'll pay". I would say most would even pay $1k for the HU, giving the dealer even more margin.

Instead BM wants some crazy 300% margin on an accessory that should be standard. That's called price gouging.

Puts things into perspective.

GTO, technically BM earns 300% margin but remember this is only the gross profit (GP)

This $20K GP / unit is to cover the cost of salesman commission & salary + "X" number of free servicing (sales dept paid to service dept) + showroom facilities built & maintenance costs (so that you enjoyed the gallery and test drive) + personnel salaries that greeted you at the entrance and served you coffees + personnel that handling all the paper work behind the scene (administration from factory to SG, accounts, warranty issue) + fulfill the parts stock commitment each model + workshop equipment, facilities & technicians salaries.

At end the net profit margin would be less than 50% from GP.

A $20k GP / unit is quite standard across AD regular car brands in Singapore. Luxury brands can fetch up around $40k or more depends on the segment. Remember we are living in world most expensive country, and most of people want best service. All these come with a price.

If you feel this is unfair for an AD to earn $20k from you, I suggest you can look for a reliable PI to get your RAV4, their selling price definitely lower than AD, some more it is JDM. Give and take, both sources has pros and cons.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3