2019 Toyota RAV4

DACH

(edited)

GTO, technically BM earns 300% margin but remember this is only the gross profit (GP)

This $20K GP / unit is to cover the cost of salesman commission & salary + "X" number of free servicing (sales dept paid to service dept) + showroom facilities built & maintenance costs (so that you enjoyed the gallery and test drive) + personnel salaries that greeted you at the entrance and served you coffees + personnel that handling all the paper work behind the scene (administration from factory to SG, accounts, warranty issue) + fulfill the parts stock commitment each model + workshop equipment, facilities & technicians salaries.

At end the net profit margin would be less than 50% from GP.

A $20k GP / unit is quite standard across AD regular car brands in Singapore. Luxury brands can fetch up around $40k or more depends on the segment. Remember we are living in world most expensive country, and most of people want best service. All these come with a price.

If you feel this is unfair for an AD to earn $20k from you, I suggest you can look for a reliable PI to get your RAV4, their selling price definitely lower than AD, some more it is JDM. Give and take, both sources has pros and cons.

I know its gross margin and not net margin.

I'm simply debating the point when people are saying its "okay" that BM are charging those margins, and in fact the former post insuiated that BM are doing us a favour by charging those margins on the HU.

It confuses me why fellow consumers are defending actions of a AD which are clearly anti-consumer in my eyes. They charge those numbers because they can, because they have no competition.

Isn't it funny though. SG car owners so Kiasu over ERP, must stop on side of road to save $1. Yet perfectly acceptable to buy HU for $3k when only cost AD $500. Hilarious.

Edited by GTO-1

I know its gross margin and not net margin.

I'm simply debating the point when people are saying its "okay" that BM are charging those margins, and in fact the former post insuiated that BM are doing us a favour by charging those margins on the HU.

It confuses me why fellow consumers are defending actions of a AD which are clearly anti-consumer in my eyes. They charge those numbers because they can, because they have no competition.

Isn't it funny though. SG car owners so Kiasu over ERP, must stop on side of road to save $1. Yet perfectly acceptable to buy HU for $3k when only cost AD $500. Hilarious.

Your assumption on a $500 is a 0% margin selling price, brother. Business is not charity..... I suggest u directly find aftermarket HU and don't complain too much... There is a competition but if u insist the "toyota" HU, you have to pay the price

• Praise 3

To clear the confusion, here are the exact specifications of the RAV4 2019:
- A/C Duct
- Manual A/C Rear
- Keyless entry "Remote Control"
- Telescopic steering wheel
- Seat Adjuster
- Vertical Driver
- Fabric seats/Manual
- 5 Passengers (including Driver)  
- Power Side mirrors, Colored, Turning signal
- Automatic Power window all doors
- LED Headlamps
- Tire Size: 225/65R17
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 55L
- 17" Alloy Wheel
- All Wheel Drive
- Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)
- Max Torque: 207 Nm / 4400-4900 RPM
- Max Output: 170 HP / 6600 RPM
- Engine: 2.0L, 4-Cylinders

• Praise 3

Supercharged

- A/C Duct

- Manual A/C Rear

- Seat Adjuster

- Vertical Driver

- Fabric seats/Manual

- LED Headlamps

- 17" Alloy Wheel

- All Wheel Drive

Which country are you from?
  • Praise 1

- A/C Duct

- Manual A/C Rear

- Seat Adjuster

- Vertical Driver

- Fabric seats/Manual

- LED Headlamps

- 17" Alloy Wheel

- All Wheel Drive

Exactly wrong spec.. Lol
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Your assumption on a $500 is a 0% margin selling price, brother. Business is not charity..... I suggest u directly find aftermarket HU and don't complain too much... There is a competition but if u insist the "toyota" HU, you have to pay the price

Just ignore. I couldnt be bothered to reply cos nothing I say can or will change their way of thinking.

The best deal(by far) was at the car show beginning of this year. If ppl had missed the boat, say what also no use. They can always buy from PI if they dont like buying from the AD.

I can only say good luck to them...if they are shopping for a car.

If it's just talk only talk is cheap. No need money. Free in fact. [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

After recently riding in a new RAV4, my observation is that quite a bit of external noise is coming into the cabin from the doors, or side windows.

After recently riding in a new RAV4, my observation is that quite a bit of external noise is coming into the cabin from the doors, or side windows.

Think it is on par with my previous Harrier.
  • Praise 2

I observed the same on the RAV4 but the external noise is prominent to me at speeds above 100kmh, not so much at lower speeds.
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Decided to post my detailed impressions (non-driving) after a ride in friend's new car.

Pros:

- Very spacious interior and boot for a fairly compact exterior - 5 adults can sit in relative comfort

- Gear knob design and materials used are fantastic - easily the best component in the entire car

- comes with TPWS - tire pressure warning system, does not allow you to see individual tire pressure, but will warn when a tyre is flat

- Semi-digital instrument cluster is richer in info and much improved from traditional 2 gauge cluster

- Feels very comfortable as passenger (both front and back) during ride, suspension not too firm or too floaty

- Comprehensive active safety equipment (collision prevention; lane departure warning; radar cruise control).

- Good fit and finish quality (as expected from a M.I.J vehicle) even though many of the plastics are budget type.

Cons:

- All seats have relatively short leg cushion, I notice the difference as I drive a similar Jap SUV and it has at least 1-2inches more cushion length. For those who are long-legged, will feel less comfortable during long rides

- Noticable external noise from doors, not just wind, even sounds from other cars & trucks passing by

- The kick boot release system doesn't seem to be easy to activate - did not see it work despite many attempts

• Praise 4

Supercharged

External noise wise, I find that it's better than my 2014 Forester XT. I suppose this is all relative.

That said, I find that the engine sound gets coupled into the cabin quite loudly. 

• Praise 3

Decided to post my detailed impressions (non-driving) after a ride in friend's new car.

Pros:

- Very spacious interior and boot for a fairly compact exterior - 5 adults can sit in relative comfort

- Gear knob design and materials used are fantastic - easily the best component in the entire car

- comes with TPWS - tire pressure warning system, does not allow you to see individual tire pressure, but will warn when a tyre is flat

- Semi-digital instrument cluster is richer in info and much improved from traditional 2 gauge cluster

- Feels very comfortable as passenger (both front and back) during ride, suspension not too firm or too floaty

- Comprehensive active safety equipment (collision prevention; lane departure warning; radar cruise control).

- Good fit and finish quality (as expected from a M.I.J vehicle) even though many of the plastics are budget type.

Cons:

- All seats have relatively short leg cushion, I notice the difference as I drive a similar Jap SUV and it has at least 1-2inches more cushion length. For those who are long-legged, will feel less comfortable during long rides

- Noticable external noise from doors, not just wind, even sounds from other cars & trucks passing by

- The kick boot release system doesn't seem to be easy to activate - did not see it work despite many attempts

Hi, for the kick boot release for the tail gate, I face the same issues. However, I observed that if the kick boot release is not activated regularly (eg use it only ocassionally) then the sensitivity to respond to opening the tail gate is poor, meaning, I will need to wiggle my feet under the rear bumper several times before the tail gate opens. I don't quite understand why Toyota built a system like this
  • Praise 1

For the kick sensor to detect, you really need to just kick. Do not wriggle or shift your foot around. Need to practice to get use to it.  I find it very useful when my hands are full.

• Praise 1

I just read the last 2 pages and very amused that there are car buyers very happy to defend their AD for charging higher when they should be complaining about the high cost for it. Seems all ganna brainwashed to accept that the AD could not be faulted for wanting to charge higher, and they will willingly pay for it without raising questions, even defend rigorously when someone pointed out the situation. I would also love to have such loyal customers.  :D

And think only these fansees will defend when a feature did not work as designed. Yes I am talking about the kick sensor to unlock the boot. If a simple swing of foot at the sensor cannot work as expected, buyers of other makes would be kicking the tables at the ADs. Think only this group of customers will happily post how they have to kick properly to suit the car. 

Brand loyalty is really nice to have, is only what I can conclude from this 2 pages of postings. Please do not misunderstand that I am trying to wreck your shop, just pointing out something an outside find amusing that this could happen. Not trying to pick a fight with TLs, please do not reply me if you do not agree with me. Cheers.

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 4

I just read the last 2 pages and very amused that there are car buyers very happy to defend their AD for charging higher when they should be complaining about the high cost for it. Seems all ganna brainwashed to accept that the AD could not be faulted for wanting to charge higher, and they will willingly pay for it without raising questions, even defend rigorously when someone pointed out the situation. I would also love to have such loyal customers.  :D

And think only these fansees will defend when a feature did not work as designed. Yes I am talking about the kick sensor to unlock the boot. If a simple swing of foot at the sensor cannot work as expected, buyers of other makes would be kicking the tables at the ADs. Think only this group of customers will happily post how they have to kick properly to suit the car. 

Brand loyalty is really nice to have, is only what I can conclude from this 2 pages of postings. Please do not misunderstand that I am trying to wreck your shop, just pointing out something an outside find amusing that this could happen. Not trying to pick a fight with TLs, please do not reply me if you do not agree with me. Cheers.

Good day. 

Not TL, just a social readers in MCF

i deem your post unnecessary, if I am you will just delete it, otherwise just shown you are purposely done it from 3rd party point of view.

Your wording "Not trying to pick a fight with TLs, please do not reply me if you do not agree with me" already shown picking a fight brother. 

please share this comment to others if you found it necessary. 

You do have some positive posts, however apologize in this case i award you dislike.. 

• Praise 5
  • Dislike 2

Good day. 

Not TL, just a social readers in MCF

i deem your post unnecessary, if I am you will just delete it, otherwise just shown you are purposely done it from 3rd party point of view.

Your wording "Not trying to pick a fight with TLs, please do not reply me if you do not agree with me" already shown picking a fight brother. 

please share this comment to others if you found it necessary. 

You do have some positive posts, however apologize in this case i award you dislike.. 

I think you are too sensitive. My heart was not, and is still not, filled with hatred when I wrote the posting, just genuinely being amused by the irrational reactions I read just prior to it. I mean I am really astonished!

Right or wrong, don't you agree with what I have observed? Of course they are happy with how they spend their money, it is theirs after all. But to be fair, does that void my observations? 

Anyway, please move on and not pollute this thread further. Cheers.

I think you are too sensitive. My heart was not, and is still not, filled with hatred when I wrote the posting, just genuinely being amused by the irrational reactions I read just prior to it. I mean I am really astonished!

Right or wrong, don't you agree with what I have observed? Of course they are happy with how they spend their money, it is theirs after all. But to be fair, does that void my observations? 

Anyway, please move on and not pollute this thread further. Cheers.

as record.

↡ Advertisement