What “Sports Sedan” for 150-170k?

Mkl22

2008-2009 is best year to own a sport sedan. Evo 10 was selling at only merely 120k. Wrx selling at only 80k below. These 2 car models are ahead of their time compare to the current cars.. Now cars of lower spec is pricer eg. Civic type r & BrZ. Just my 2 cents

Agree, back in 2008-2009, COE premium was at a low $10k-ish and ARF was just 100% of OMV.

Fast forward to today, COE premium is much higher than back then, ARF is 100% of OMV for first $20k, 140% for next $30k, and 180% thereafter. And then there is VES, which may add on a surcharge to the taxes already paid. This translates to car prices being so much higher now. I now have to pay at least 1.5x what I paid back in 2008 for essentially the same brand/model replacement (not an upgrade!).  [sweatdrop]  [mad]  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

What happens when it reaches EOL IF Subaru releases a new platform ?

No more parts or AD will not service the car ?

Spare parts will be costly, consider the rarity of the model here.

And not sure they may release another WRX in future.

Agree, back in 2008-2009, COE premium was at a low $10k-ish and ARF was just 100% of OMV.

Fast forward to today, COE premium is much higher than back then, ARF is 100% of OMV for first $20k, 140% for next $30k, and 180% thereafter. And then there is VES, which may add on a surcharge to the taxes already paid. This translates to car prices being so much higher now. I now have to pay at least 1.5x what I paid back in 2008 for essentially the same brand/model replacement (not an upgrade!). [sweatdrop][mad]

Mai angry. Ur car is coming! I test drove it.. wah it's just as good. Can't notice much difference other than the seats and bodykit

WRX is towards its EOL soon.

So worth the buy?

I think sometimes have to consider why the particular model is going EOL, is it because it simply is cui or for some other reason.

For WRX, the fact that Subaru has withdrawn from the WRC and the lack of requirement for homologation in modern times are likely the main drivers.

But wait a min... I don't think WRX is going EOL. If you are talking about the current model, then yes. I have heard that they are planning to release the next WRX in the early 2020s, probably from the same Subaru Global Platform that they are advocating.

Anyways, I don't think the TS is interested in WRX anyway, wanted to just provide some alternative opinions and thus I will stop here. Have a good day everyone!

• Praise 1

Mai angry. Ur car is coming! I test drove it.. wah it's just as good. Can't notice much difference other than the seats and bodykit

Fast forward to today, COE premium is much higher than back then, ARF is 100% of OMV for first $20k, 140% for next $30k, and 180% thereafter. And then there is VES, which may add on a surcharge to the taxes already paid. This translates to car prices being so much higher now. I now have to pay at least 1.5x what I paid back in 2008 for essentially the same brand/model replacement (not an upgrade!). [sweatdrop][mad]

Those ppl who used to own these performance cars in that era can never convince themselves to buy the current “lower specs” sports sedan. Evo till date is still smashing world records on track or drag and the engine is so bullet proof.. Japan needs to bring back that kind of engineering back in place again...
  • Praise 1

WRX will still be there. 

Parts at most import from Japan. Still can find >15 yr old parts for Subarus, not an issue.

If you think these parts are expensive, wait till you buy parts for the other non-jap choices

Subaru recently showcased the Viziv Performance concept car which is supposedly the foundation for the next gen of WRX/STI, so unlikely that it's going away anytime soon. Plus they released the 2018 updated model not long ago. It's available on an indent basis here, so that speaks a lot about the lack of demand in Singapore. 

It's true that the WRX/STI is not as atas interior-wise as compared to some of its competitors, but there are enthusiasts who will still subscribe to its driving dynamics without some of the frills.  

Ppl says Kia got this German guys which might brings  ///M gmbh expertise to Kia.

The problem is Kia does not have a racing DNA which is important in the setup of sports sedan.

Alfa has great racing heritage that is earlier then current prima donna.

Under current tax regime, it is difficult to get a "proper" new sports sedan.

I rather put my effort into used market.

• Praise 2

going by the comments in the past few pages, the wrx, evo and stinger are definitely not suitable.  Most cannot handle the power and the harder suspension anyway.

Most of the folks participating in this thread want a car from a nice prestigious continental make with a long distinguished racing heritage.  Lots of leather and luxurious fittings, auto everything inside, tiniest engine possible with a turbocharger, but superb fuel efficiency with the lowest emissions for the lowest VES band.

• Praise 4

Ppl says Kia got this German guys which might brings  ///M gmbh expertise to Kia.

The problem is Kia does not have a racing DNA which is important in the setup of sports sedan.

Alfa has great racing heritage that is earlier then current prima donna.

Under current tax regime, it is difficult to get a "proper" new sports sedan.

I rather put my effort into used market.

A 150 grand for a KIA just doesn't sound right! The Koreans will laugh at u! [laugh]

(edited)

Fast forward to today, COE premium is much higher than back then, ARF is 100% of OMV for first $20k, 140% for next $30k, and 180% thereafter. And then there is VES, which may add on a surcharge to the taxes already paid. This translates to car prices being so much higher now. I now have to pay at least 1.5x what I paid back in 2008 for essentially the same brand/model replacement (not an upgrade!).  [sweatdrop]  [mad]  

The real reason why new cars are still so expensive despite the fall in COE.

Car_Cost_Update.pdf

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

TS, whichever car you choose, most important is that you are happy with it and should not be affected by others' opinion... all the options listed have their pros and cons, i think you cant go wrong. 

i love my current car despite what others may think about it, as i know my reasons for buying it. 

• Praise 2

A 150 grand for a KIA just doesn't sound right! The Koreans will laugh at u! [laugh]

My fren in Beijing told me that despite the high car price, we in Singapore can buy any car that we could afford.

The real reason why new cars are still so expensive despite the fall in COE.

Yeah, AD wants high profit margins too, citing high operating overheads.

2008-2009 is best year to own a sport sedan. Evo 10 was selling at only merely 120k. Wrx selling at only 80k below. These 2 car models are ahead of their time compare to the current cars.. Now cars of lower spec is pricer eg. Civic type r & BrZ. Just my 2 cents

dun say ah, 2008-2009 can buy a used air-cooled Porsche for 10-12k p/yr depre lo. those days are long long gone. 

Not sit down den pretend pretend take out car key put on table?

That said, in all seriousness, here's y I think the kia is not a worthwhile buy. For ppl who like cars, buying a car is usually down to the tangible and the intangibles. Tangible things you can see and read up in, the numbers, the specs, all these yes, the kia does them well. But the intangibles, how a car makes you feel, the brand perception, the history of the marque, the emotional aspects. These are things you cannot see and cannot put a number on, but these are the things which will eventually affect your resale value. Because tangible things, the numbers, the specs, the speed, they can only get better with each new iteration.

For sure the next kia stinger will be faster and more powerful, what then your version?

And then you'll realise that the reasons you bought the stinger are for the tangible aspects, less of the emotional. Which will most likely mean you will be selling your car to people shopping for the same tangible things. Your really stinger will be up against not just the latest stinger, but used BMWs, WRXs, ans the like. But those cars in the same resale bracket have a much stronger heritage and brand recognition, in other words, those other cars will be stronger in the tangible aspects. You can see this with old classics sports cars, even those from the 80s and 90s, holding their value or even going up. If one was to think logically, it does not make sense, those cars are slower and less powerful than even a gti. But ppl still love them. Why? The emotional and intangible aspects are strong.

Your resale audience will then become the niche of the niche. It will not be an easy sell unless you are willing to take a hit $$$ wise. That's my thoughts.

Imo. It will take kia another 2 generations of stingers to build up the brand to have a stronger repute. Better yet, send it racing to prove itself.

Even infiniti and jag (and alfa) are still currently stuck in resale limbo. But I think Alfa has a diehard religious following and a very strong heritage to capitalise on. Jag unfortunately is still trying to shake off their ahpek image, but seems to be on the right track with their latest cars and suvs.

This is why I'll always tell ppl, yes the stinger is a (very) good car. But I'll never buy one nor advise anyone to buy one new. If you want, wait for resale than lowball the initial owners. Otherwise, just be happy and continue driving your Giulia.

In summary:

1) Are you a brand snob ? If yes, don't buy Stinger

2) Do you intend to drive the car for 10years? If no, don't buy Stinger

• Praise 1

going by the comments in the past few pages, the wrx, evo and stinger are definitely not suitable. Most cannot handle the power and the harder suspension anyway.

Most of the folks participating in this thread want a car from a nice prestigious continental make with a long distinguished racing heritage. Lots of leather and luxurious fittings, auto everything inside, tiniest engine possible with a turbocharger, but superb fuel efficiency with the lowest emissions for the lowest VES band.

You want "racing" ,

but you want luxurious leather, auto, tiny engine, superb fuel efficiency.

Seriously?

↡ Advertisement