Change in personality/behavior when getting behind the wheel

Ct3833

(edited)

I am starting this thread on my observation about change in people’s behavioral when one steps behind a steering wheel.  

Non drivers behavior

Generally,   people around us, including ourselves(at least I thought so)  are considerate, gentle,  polite and approachable. For example, if we are causing obstruction when walking on the street,  we will give way to others. Or when someone is obstructing our way, we will say excuse me politely, and very very likely than not, that person will also politely give way to us.  There would be some exception individual but I am speaking in general term, this is how we human being behave in the society.  

The pervasive PMD problems on the street is a new problem that our society is learning to manage, which is outside the context of this discussion.  

Drivers behavior

Next lets look at drivers, when the same group of people go behind steering wheel,  I see people become impatience, start to tailgate, honk vigorously as if the horn should have been 10 times louder, drive aggressively , road hog intentionally despite being flashed or horned, the more hey wired one would even play brake game etc. The list runs one as we could quote a lot more examples.

The why?

So why is there a change in behavior from a reasonable person walking on the street to become an impatient and aggressive person after getting behind a steering wheel?  

Of course there are still no lack of good drivers around but I am referring to the group who change their behavior when they get behind steering wheel. Is there something wrong with car design? or because car is too expensive here that some may think they have to recoup all the “right” they have paid for through the nose ? or people are in a confined private space after getting into a car that one feels so comfortable that he/she has started to ignore the world out there ? Or one feels so uncomfortable when someone  else is being perceived to be enjoying more rights than he is? Or car is so expensive that when one steps into his/her 2nd largest financial commitment after a house, the person feel so stressed out? 

How next?

Are there ways to educate, transform these people to become  a better drivers so that all could enjoy a better driving experience ? I guess there is no solution out but if by having more constructive discussion, we all could help create some awareness and help others non forumers to be more conscious, i guess that would be bonus to the driving community

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

I am starting this thread on my observation about change in peopleâs behavioral when one steps behind a steering wheel.

Non drivers behavior

Generally, people around us, including ourselves(at least I thought so) are considerate, gentle, polite and approachable. For example, if we are causing obstruction when walking on the street, we will give way to others. Or when someone is obstructing our way, we will say excuse me politely, and very very likely than not, that person will also politely give way to us. There would be some exception individual but I am speaking in general term, this is how we human being behave in the society.

The pervasive PMD problems on the street is a new problem that our society is learning to manage, which is outside the context of this discussion.

Drivers behavior

Next lets look at drivers, when the same group of people go behind steering wheel, I see people become impatience, start to tailgate, honk vigorously as if the horn should have been 10 times louder, drive aggressively , road hog intentionally despite being flashed or horned, the more hey wired one would even play brake game etc. The list runs one as we could quote a lot more examples.

The why?

So why is there a change in behavior from a reasonable person walking on the street to become an impatient and aggressive person after getting behind a steering wheel?

Of course there are still no lack of good drivers around but I am referring to the group who change their behavior when they get behind steering wheel. Is there something wrong with car design? or because car is too expensive here that some may think they have to recoup all the ârightâ they have paid for through the nose ? or people are in a confined private space after getting into a car that one feels so comfortable that he/she has started to ignore the world out there ? Or one feels so uncomfortable when someone else is being perceived to be enjoying more rights than he is? Or car is so expensive that when one steps into his/her 2nd largest financial commitment after a house, the person feel so stressed out?

How next?

Are there ways to educate, transform these people to become a better drivers so that all could enjoy a better driving experience ? I guess there is no solution out but if by having more constructive discussion, we all could help create some awareness and help others non forumers to be more conscious, i guess that would be bonus to the driving community.

One is with a one ton equipment

That requires handling skill.

The other is started practicing daily since 1 year old.

I don't see extreme difference of a person personality and driving style.

Some difference but no extreme

• Praise 3

I will say cos when you walk you are already going as fast as you can or want to. So if there is obstruction, live and let live.

When you drive there is always the perception that you could be faster so you get impatient.

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

I am starting this thread on my observation about change in people’s behavioral when one steps behind a steering wheel.  

Non drivers behavior

Generally,   people around us, including ourselves(at least I thought so)  are considerate, gentle,  polite and approachable. For example, if we are causing obstruction when walking on the street,  we will give way to others. Or when someone is obstructing our way, we will say excuse me politely, and very very likely than not, that person will also politely give way to us.  There would be some exception individual but I am speaking in general term, this is how we human being behave in the society.  

Drivers behavior

Next lets look at drivers, when the same group of people go behind steering wheel,  I see people become impatience, start to tailgate, honk vigorously as if the horn should have been 10 times louder, drive aggressively , road hog intentionally despite being flashed or horned, the more hey wired one would even play brake game etc. The list runs one as we could quote a lot more examples.

The why?

Of course there are still no lack of good drivers around but I am referring to the group who change their behavior when they get behind steering wheel. Is there something wrong with car design? or because car is too expensive here that some may think they have to recoup all the “right” they have paid for through the nose ? or people are in a confined private space after getting into a car that one feels so comfortable that he/she has started to ignore the world out there ? Or one feels so uncomfortable when someone  else is being perceived to be enjoying more rights than he is? Or car is so expensive that when one steps into his/her 2nd largest financial commitment after a house, the person feel so stressed out? 

How next?

Are there ways to educate, transform these people to become  a better drivers so that all could enjoy a better driving experience ? I guess there is no solution out but if by having more constructive discussion, we all could help create some awareness and help others non forumers to be more conscious, i guess that would be bonus to the driving community

The answer is ego and impatient.

Impatient is because the idea of driving is to get around fast. So when some driver make it slow for them, they become impatient which then leads to anger.

Ego because every driver is taught the  "right of way". So when some driver cuts into their way, their ego is hurt and that leads to anger.

• Praise 8

Supersonic
(edited)

It's the same behavior whether you drive or not.

I have seen people quarrel in buses before, in terms of fighting for seats, racism, intrusion of space, outrage of modesty, etc.

You guys should see more how people quarrel and even fight in buses and trains.

It's the overcrowding environment that makes people stress.

And the way the person is being brought up and their own personality.

If one decides to throw away that ego, and be more patient, how would you change your behavior? And if you instill that ego in yourself, that change of behavior happens everywhere you go.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

There are many psychological explanations and and if you google the net , this is just one of many :

https://gizmodo.com/why-we-become-such-a**holes-when-we-re-behind-the-wheel-1752925126

I suppose it has to do with the fact that we became more anonymous , loss of eye contact social interaction , our personal space became more defined by cocconing into a shell , and intrusion of personal space more prevalent as the space became larger . A simple act of cutting into one's lane is construed as space intrusion .

I admit that I too exhibit this change of behaviour when I drive , but it does mellow down as I get older . Furthemore , on overseas holiday drives, this aggresiveness is non existant so I guess stress levels while driving plays a major role .

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

I admit that I too exhibit this change of behaviour when I drive , but it does mellow down as I get older . Furthemore , on overseas holiday drives, this aggresiveness is non existant so I guess stress levels while driving plays a major role .

I know that stress seems to be the convenient excuse for aggressive behaviour.

But then look at the Japanese. They are in an extremely stressful environment with people dying doing overtime. Yet, they are extremely courteous, polite and considerate towards other people in their society as a whole.

So is it really due to stress or is it because we have this "me first" attitude being taught into every child while they were young?

• Praise 4

But then look at the Japanese. They are in an extremely stressful environment with people dying doing overtime. Yet, they are extremely courteous, polite and considerate towards other people in their society as a whole.

So is it really due to stress or is it because we have this "me first" attitude being taught into every child while they were young?

That one is a lot of social / peer pressure.

They like conformity so everyone able to conform to social norms.

• Praise 2

I m impatient.

I walk fast. Easily annoyed by escalator hogger.

I like to drive at speed limit. Hate lane 1 - 3 driver driving side by side at the same speed.

I hate road hogger. I poke road hogger.

• Praise 5

Supersonic

We may not know they are holding the stress behind the scenes. 

Look at their levels of suicide rates and isolation rates from the society (Hikikomori). 

Cos if u walk u do that u tio smash on face

But on car the other party may not recognise ur face, may not be able to smash ur face.

I would say the character when they drive is the real one

• Praise 7

Supersonic

Cos if u walk u do that u tio smash on face

But on car the other party may not recognise ur face, may not be able to smash ur face.

I would say the character when they drive is the real one

But will smash your car le...

Supersonic

U can zhao ah haha thats why majority a**hole are driving inline 6 lol

Can run la.

But if they remember the plate number?

Turbocharged

I admit I have a weird fetish...which causes me to get angry and frustrated when behind the wheel...

Weird thing abt me is that I like to keep my rims clean and shiny from brake dust...

So therefore I will drive only reasonably fast and brake as gently as i can in order not to build so much brake dust

If therefore there is any cockster who cut in recklessly and cause me to jam brake...I turn into Bruce Banner immediately..

weird hor [laugh]   

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

Everyone has many sides to his or her personality, not just in a car and out of it. In the workplace, at a party, at home, in the bedroom all different.

• Praise 3

We may not know they are holding the stress behind the scenes. 

Look at their levels of suicide rates and isolation rates from the society (Hikikomori). 

AV

White panty fetish

Upshot photo

↡ Advertisement