Do we need opposition party in parliament

Victor68

Supersonic

how can opposition grow by chance, i would like him to explain how he can achieve that.

opposition can grow on its own but not if it is constantly getting fixed.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Actually nations can move forward and can move forward fastest if there is no or not too much diversification in views.

Whereas if you have a proliferation of Indian chiefs, nothing can or will happen.

The problem is when father want to pass to son and ended up not the best man leading that there’s a problem

generally agree but i feel this cannot be applied on a blanket basis across the board.

true in singapore case in yesteryears from under developed country to being deeveloped

partially true in certain like indonesia where many say they prospered under strongman suharto's rule.....

not true in certain african nations who had strongman leaders but we can't say they have progressed very far even with strongman leader

not true in certain very developed countries like the scandinavian countries.  they don't seem to have very strongman leaders and yet they are considered the most intelligent and most affluent countries. 

opposition can grow on its own but not if it is constantly getting fixed.

agree with you.  in this case, our pm preach one thing but practise the exact opposite?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

No opposition means no competition...cannot!!! That’s against Competition Act...the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) wont allow wan. [:p][laugh]

• Praise 3

(edited)

I hope people don't have short term memory. How many times have we witnessed an unpopular policy being forced down our throat? Why? Bcos we lack of strong opposition to block them.

Edited by Roh96
  • Praise 6

Supersonic

agree with you.  in this case, our pm preach one thing but practise the exact opposite?

Don't think so.

He openly mentioned something about fixing the opposition before right?

Supercharged

Don't think so.

He openly mentioned something about fixing the opposition before right?

yes, i mean in this interpretation by you and our fellow forumer, the way LHL speak is that opposition can be allowed to grow by chance (with fixing by ruling party as you put it).  yet in real life, we see them fixing the opposition.  so they are preaching one thing (about alllowing them to grow by chance without fixing) but doing the opposite by fixing them.

• Praise 2

I hope people don't have short term memory. How many times have we witnessed an unpopular policy being forced down our throat? Why? Bcos we lack of strong opposition to block them.

Your supposedly singapore president? No mine though..

Supersonic

See how controlled the situation is? Give 12 seats for the opposition and 12 it is, no more no less. [laugh]

How many seats is not for him to determine. It's the people who decides how many seats.

Supersonic

People has been saying, and will always be saying, the present is not good enough. In the past, people also say the government no good, but look at where we are today. In the years after lky stepped down, people also said Singapore is doomed with the new batch of leaders, but Singapore survived and done pretty well, steering clear of recession and enjoyed consistent growth, low inflation rate (by world standard) and a high gdp, low unemployment etc. Trust me, years later people will say the future batch of leaders is not good while the past (the current one) is good. People are forever discontented and complaining no matter how fortunate they are.

This current one is actually the worst ever.

I don't really see things went very badly after the 2nd Gen took over for a few years.

Looking at how things flow now, there's a need for criticisms and other point of views to stop the complacencies to carry on.

Supercharged

i read the article.  he likened it to installing safety nets for opposition as helping them to engage in dangerous stunts.  since when were they so noble as to come any semblance close to installing safety nets for opposition?  it looks more like they have tripped and planted mines for opposition all these while instead.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

bro, cannot misrepresent what LHL said... he didnt say no need for opposition... sekali you kena caught :XD:

Alamak Sooooo sorry, can retract? What I am trying to imply is the needs for alternative voices. Day in day out we hear the same songs and people getting away easily. We want someone within our outside to speak up and wack them to wake up. You heard of the emperor new clothes story? I see this played over and over again in my career. 

If 1 man can call all the shots and no question asked, then no need for meetings and discussion liao, just give instruction to proceed right? 

(edited)

How many seats is not for him to determine. It's the people who decides how many seats.

If u ask me, I would say at least 40 seats to oppo. :D

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 4

LHL says no need for opposition since most of the population supports the PAP and they have put in Non-Constituency MP in today's ST report

http://www.straitstimes.com/politics/not-wise-to-purposely-let-the-opposition-grow-bigger-says-pm

Are these Non-Constituency MP what people want other than those participated in the election and how have they performed? Is a one party that has been debated over the years still what people want? Is the idea of not to "purposely" let the opposition grow bigger being the same as making sure they don't grow? How are we going to get another voice in the parliament?

If you have most of the resolutions passed in parliament with almost 100% yes, we need to review why then some of these decisions failed. All that have voted yes are not thinking enough or simply complying. Mr Lee also stressed the importance of thinking boldly, and long-term yesterday. The thinking must start from the top not bottom up.

Any thoughts?

I think the way you phrased your first line is not faithful to what the article stated. Like what bro @ingenius mentioned:

He said it's not wise to purposely let the opposition grow, he did not say there is no need to have opposition.

I do agree that it is not in the interest of those in power to help raise up the rest who are looking to take over their seats (so in this case, what LHL said, and IIRC, LKY said too).

However, I do feel that with their 70% mandate, things have started to feel heavy handed again, especially of late. The GST debate, as well as the subsequent test balloon apology demands requests have left a sour taste in the mouths of my peers. A lot of the comments by those in power have come across as detached from the man in the streets, and it's starting to feel as if those in power don't care about the perception of the rest of us, as they have their "mandate".

I believe strongly that we should have a credible opposition party, to pose questions in parliament, to question what the government does. As always, it's easier to stand up to our "foes" than to our friends, so some questions that the ruling party's MP might not ask, due to fear of getting struck by lightning or otherwise, can be posed by the opposition. BUT, the opposite has to be credible, not just any Tom, Dick or Harry. Well, Harry was great. Haha..

Anyway, let's not misrepresent what others have said to score points, as it will come back to bite our backsides later. As always, the above are only my opinions.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

I think the way you phrased your first line is not faithful to what the article stated. Like what bro @ingenius mentioned:

Bro retract and explain what i meant liao, can amend post or not?  [bigcry]

Your supposedly singapore president? No mine though..

Not only that one la.. water tax, population white paper, ..just to name a few.

Not only that one la.. water tax, population white paper, ..just to name a few.

There are aplenty to quote.... [sunny]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3