Thyroid

Theoldjaffa

16 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Honestly i never even heard of these type of treatments until your account. Cos though we see it, usually it is self limiting or reversing once the Grave's is under control

Hope everything works out for you!

No leh. Double vision got worse every week or two it seems, till I had to complain that the prism might need to be changed. That was then the doc decided to put me on IV and radio sessions.

Other areas previously affected by thyroid, like muscle weakening, sweating and limbs shaking are good now.. Only the eyes..

• Praise 3

16 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Health is indeed wealth

Have a few episodes of various conditions since beginning of this year...luckily nothing too critical...family doctor advised me to go run on the treadmill next year...no xmm to bio but only grumpy lao aunty nurse kind...sibeh sian 😁

Lol. Good thing for me there are still a few ok and chio nurses and doc at the eye center. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

38 minutes ago, Solar said:

Lol. Good thing for me there are still a few ok and chio nurses and doc at the eye center. 

Once jab steroids in eye, maybe every person become chio Liao. [laugh]

• Haha! 2

6 minutes ago, Mason016 said:

Once jab steroids in eye, maybe every person become chio Liao. [laugh]

I may if I get cataract from the radio.. but not from the jab 😂😂

23 hours ago, Solar said:

Mine is Thyroid eye disease, said to be related to the thyroid condition Graves disease earlier on.

While it affects more female, males get this also. I didn't get a conclusive answer from the doc what causes it, but from their questions asked to me, I believe it can be generic or even stress. I don't have family history, so I think stress is a factor.

The body attacks the eye muscles such that it weakens and not able to move the eyeballs properly.. so a result, one eye move lesser than the other, causing double vision.

Eyeball and eye muscles also swell. Need to go for these treatments to stop the swelling or for my case, might press on the optic nerve and affect my vision further. The CT scan confirms that.

Some people delayed treatment and their eyes pop out like frog. Very scary. Mine isn't noticable.. Good thing I discovered early.. 🙏

Cut down on seaweed, eat fewer heaty stuff, eat more flaxseed. I'm the opposite -- hypothyroid. 

Edited by Kklim
  • Praise 1

On 12/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, Solar said:

While the thyroid condition is under control, eyes have been affected as well. 

I've just undergone one of a series of IV drip sessions today that's to be done over a few weeks.

So far no noticable improvement.. but get to experience the painful poking of needles on my forearm and back of my hand..

Later in the coming weeks for a complementary radiotherapy session to the eyes.. 

Hope it's all worth it. Crossing fingers 🙏

I got poked very often . Im with you bro .... 

Hope you recover fast fast and steady 🙏 🤟

Not sure looking at chio bu helps or not .... the place I went only have Lau Kay Bu , not so good luck for me 😆 anyway ....alcohol helps 🍻🍻🍻

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

On 12/14/2020 at 9:07 PM, Solar said:

Thanks guys. Also not heard of until I got it. 长知识了

More info via Google

https://www.singhealth.com.sg/patient-care/patient-education/thyroid-eye-disease

What it don't tell u and u have to get via the doc during the one to one. It'll be taking calculated risks.. like the IV increase risks of diabetes and osteoporosis, and radiotherapy increasing getting cancer by about 1% at the spot that was radioed.

I went for it anyway. 🤞

Speedy recover. Jia you.

• Praise 1

On 12/14/2020 at 9:19 PM, mersaylee said:

Health is indeed wealth

Have a few episodes of various conditions since beginning of this year...luckily nothing too critical...family doctor advised me to go run on the treadmill next year...no xmm to bio but only grumpy lao aunty nurse kind...sibeh sian 😁

Health is indeed wealth, but sometimes also not up to us to control fully on our health. [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Hi Solar,  

Did the doctor mention how long the effectiveness of the iv and radiotherapy would last? 

Glad u share your condition as I too had increased pressure in one eye  in Aug this yr.  Thankfully condition improved after a course of oral Ibuprofen. 

Edited by Baleno
  • Praise 1

On 12/14/2020 at 9:07 PM, Solar said:

Thanks guys. Also not heard of until I got it. 长知识了

More info via Google

https://www.singhealth.com.sg/patient-care/patient-education/thyroid-eye-disease

What it don't tell u and u have to get via the doc during the one to one. It'll be taking calculated risks.. like the IV increase risks of diabetes and osteoporosis, and radiotherapy increasing getting cancer by about 1% at the spot that was radioed.

I went for it anyway. 🤞

Take care man

yes, never came across this. We do know the protrusion as a result of graves and the myasthenia complications but this is All new. I believe they are using radiation to treat the excessive active cellular components 

take care man and keep positive

• Praise 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, Baleno said:

Hi Solar,  

Did the doctor mention how long the effectiveness of the iv and radiotherapy would last? 

Glad u share your condition as I too had increased pressure in one eye  in Aug this yr.  Thankfully condition improved after a course of oral Ibuprofen. 

Hi bro, my treatment is for Thyroid Eye disease. Not sure if it's the same for your case.

I have to go thru 12 sessions of IVMP and radio each. I heard from the doc that the frequency can vary depends on the severity and the patient... like age, health condition, smoker, etc.

Radio is optional but said to have good results from those gone thru it together with IV.

Effectiveness can't be 100% guaranteed and need to be monitored. But they mentioned also they have people that have put it under control and stopped the swelling..I think it's the usual disclaimer BS but I am confident of the best outcome.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, RadX said:

Take care man

yes, never came across this. We do know the protrusion as a result of graves and the myasthenia complications but this is All new. I believe they are using radiation to treat the excessive active cellular components 

take care man and keep positive

Thanks bro. No idea what the radio is going to be actually shooting. I understand from the doc is thru both sides of my temples. 

I may also risk early cataract as a result..

Ya.. if that happens, I'll overhaul my lens and probably not need wear specs anymore 🤞

1 hour ago, Solar said:

Hi bro, my treatment is for Thyroid Eye disease. Not sure if it's the same for your case.

I have to go thru 12 sessions of IVMP and radio each. I heard from the doc that the frequency can vary depends on the severity and the patient... like age, health condition, smoker, etc.

Radio is optional but said to have good results from those gone thru it together with IV.

Effectiveness can't be 100% guaranteed and need to be monitored. But they mentioned also they have people that have put it under control and stopped the swelling..I think it's the usual disclaimer BS but I am confident of the best outcome.

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism 3 yrs ago, on 6 monthly eye/vision checks. Carbimazole reduced to 5mg alternate days for past 1.5 yrs. 

I observed that my TSH level tend to be lowered whenever I take alcoholic drinks during stretch between appointments. 

Yes, that episode of increased pressure behind one eye was due to Thyroid eye disease. 

What I'm worried more is the antibody level which remains elevated despite T3, T4 & TSH being within normal range. It seems elevated antibody levels is the cause of increased fat build up behind the eye. 

Actually I'm planning an optimal time to have my thyroid gland removed.  

Edited by Baleno

I used to have hyper-thyroid for years until I went for radio-iodine drink 6 months ago. Now my thyroid condition is under control and I'm taking a 5mg thyroxine tablet a day to stabilise the condition. Strongly suggest you go for this treatment instead of going under the knife. Cheers!

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Baleno said:

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism 3 yrs ago, on 6 monthly eye/vision checks. Carbimazole reduced to 5mg alternate days for past 1.5 yrs. 

I observed that my TSH level tend to be lowered whenever I take alcoholic drinks during stretch between appointments. 

Yes, that episode of increased pressure behind one eye was due to Thyroid eye disease. 

What I'm worried more is the antibody level which remains elevated despite T3, T4 & TSH being within normal range. It seems elevated antibody levels is the cause of increased fat build up behind the eye. 

Actually I'm planning an optimal time to have my thyroid gland removed.  

While removing the thyroid gland is an option, the body will go haywire if u do that.

Avoid unless it's absolutely necessary.

• Praise 2

Acherli, they can put some thyroid tissue elsewhere, maciam deltoid area.

Unless...ke kiri pusing. Left in latin.

Edited by Datsun366
↡ Advertisement