To Tune or Not To Tune?

Sarong1

1 hour ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Sarong1,

Understand but that is the easy part.

Getting there is the difficult part but glad you helped 😍👍🙂

Cheers,

Richard

You have everything (ingredients) in place, I merely switched on the fire, place the wok and started cook them with the right seasoning and Wok Hei...and thereafter presented to you in a Zhi Char stall standard...🤪

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I left Youtube in the background and I was doing something else.

Then suddenly I notice the sound was fantastic and I had to switch back to Youtube and what it was all about.

These are three fantastic amplifiers but only one has that X factor magic for me.

It has never occurred to me how good a Mosconi is because Audison has all the hype with all the audio shops having a sexy poster of the Audison Thesis on their walls.

But the Mosconi Zero 3 has that something special for me.

Too often in car audio we buy the marketing hype and not the sound.

And all too often people regret and need to upgrade and that's when it becomes expensive because you never get good value of almost new hardly used components on the second hand market.

• Praise 1

It would never occur to me to ever consider getting a Kicker.

That is not even a high end brand but again I was listening to this in the back ground and one speaker really stood out.

I would have thought it would be a European high end brand name manufacturer. How could it be a speaker from the US?

We all know conti makes the best car audio gear not some common low end brand from US and A.

But the Kicker sounded so much better to me.

I learn so much that reputation and hype and sound are so different.

At the end of the day we pay for the sound and not the brand if we love music.

I am not promoting Kicker or any brand for that matter. I don't even know if they have a dealer in Singapore or even if they sell their stuff here.

I was just curious why they sounded so good to me.

I think its the material of the tweeter and the over sized crossovers.

I am always interested in the science behind a great sounding component.

For amps it always circuit design and quality of components like size and brand of caps etc.

For speakers its materials, size of voice coil, engineering and design and quality components of the crossovers.

We all know Helix makes the best DSPs like the DSP Pro and great amplifiers but they also make really good subs and I seem to think they make speakers for bass heads and hard rock which I love.

People that play Helix speakers all seems to want to burst their speakers with maximum bass.

As if testing how much they can take.

image.png.35e6d1163b5dea65599149c2172181ec.png

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-nuPVHNW5Zoe/p_130GMA6704/Pioneer-GM-A6704.html

image.png.bff30b735b71b81c06936c0e23d2ce7f.png

Pioneer GM-A6704

Crutchfield customer from Buffalo, NY on 6/26/2019

Verified customer(What's this?)

I had a focal 4 channel amp.. the highs were so brittle and edgy, hated it.. crutchfield cheerfully took it back.. I bought this one instead just to take a chance.. and it is well balanced sounds great... I am happy in my 2007 buick Lucerne ... its got guts so turn the gain down.. below the normal mark..

image.png.f39cec6c2e991bbbae6440919a5806cf.png

Pioneer GM-A6704

Crutchfield customer from Northville, MI on 6/16/2017

Verified customer(What's this?)

This amp is exactly what I was looking for to power my speakers. I love the versatility of combinations of channels. I am using it as a 4 channel speaker amp to power a component set in the front and a coaxial pair in the back. You could also run a speaker set on Channel A and a subwoofer on Channel B. With separate gain controls and a bass boost for Channel B you can completely separate the setting between Channel A and B as if you were using 2 amps. Channel A also has a Variable HPF adjuster so I can tune those tweeters in just right. My favorite thing is the speaker signal connector. It eliminates the need for a remote wire and it makes for an incredible sound stage. I've never had an amp that creates a surround system atmosphere like this one. A drum roll literally circles my car. This is all with it hooked to a factory head unit. I can only image how its going to sound when I install a new head unit.

Cons: When it starts to get hot it will send less power until to cools off. Not a big deal but you can hear the music get soft every once in a while on a long drive.

18 hours ago, Jamesc said:

I left Youtube in the background and I was doing something else.

Then suddenly I notice the sound was fantastic and I had to switch back to Youtube and what it was all about.

These are three fantastic amplifiers but only one has that X factor magic for me.

It has never occurred to me how good a Mosconi is because Audison has all the hype with all the audio shops having a sexy poster of the Audison Thesis on their walls.

But the Mosconi Zero 3 has that something special for me.

Too often in car audio we buy the marketing hype and not the sound.

I used both the Zero 3 and Class A for many years lol

To me the Zero 3 has the usual character of a mosfet amp, giving an even presentation of the the entire music spectrum. For people more used to active processing and compressed formats, it may sound reserved, but actually it is just neutral, relaxed and never in your face. Listen to music with rapid fire kick drums, snares and the like, and you can even see how good this amp controls the woofer. Once we compared it with a different brand amp at the same price range, and the woofer movement was visibly much lesser in the other brand.

The Class A has a similar family sound, but projects the sound more. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, myon07 said:

I used both the Zero 3 and Class A for many years lol

To me the Zero 3 has the usual character of a mosfet amp, giving an even presentation of the the entire music spectrum. For people more used to active processing and compressed formats, it may sound reserved, but actually it is just neutral, relaxed and never in your face. Listen to music with rapid fire kick drums, snares and the like, and you can even see how good this amp controls the woofer. Once we compared it with a different brand amp at the same price range, and the woofer movement was visibly much lesser in the other brand.

The Class A has a similar family sound, but projects the sound more. 

So nice to meet a fellow car audio buff.

Both amps are fantastic but the Zero 3 has that special magic for me.

I love your description of neutral, relaxed and never in your face.

That's exactly how I like my sound. People might even call it bland and I totally agree with that description. A German magazine describes it exactly the same

Excerpts from the journal CAR & HIFI 5/2011
The beast pushes power without end ... and has powerful control over the Speakers.

The Zero 3 plays so jagged and highly dynamic to the point and remains unbelievably authentic, relaxed.

Clatter and noise , a foreign word.

The damping factor was so high that it was difficult to measure in yet . Intelligent design , channel isolated power supply , MOSFET output stage and impeccably clean building , that's really great .

What speakers do you drive Class A and Zero 3 with?

:D

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

So nice to meet a fellow car audio buff.

Both amps are fantastic but the Zero 3 has that special magic for me.

I love your description of neutral, relaxed and never in your face.

That's exactly how I like my sound. People might even call it bland and I totally agree with that description. A German magazine describes it exactly the same

What speakers do you drive Class A and Zero 3 with?

:D

I used Scanspeak Illuminator, Seas Curv, Prestige, Lotus, Excel. Also had a set of Flux

lol

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, myon07 said:

I used Scanspeak Illuminator, Seas Curv, Prestige, Lotus, Excel. Also had a set of Flux

lol

Very nice.

To me one of the most respected components is the Scanspeak Revelators and the Illuminators is on an even higher level.

👍

• Praise 2