Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX 050+ REVIEWS.

Tzc

I got these at the recent Dunlop promo. Paid around $170 per pc at CJ for 235/40 R18.

My immediate prev tyres were Pirelli PZ4 and Bridgestone RE003, both i used for around 30k km. These 3 tyres are similar in noise and comfort, all very good. Car is a Subaru 2.5T.

Between these 3, the best lux sports tyre ime is the Pirelli. Straight line stability at 230 and braking were confidence inspiring. PZ4 is quieter and ride quality was very good from new to end. Low speed grip is very good too, example going down basement cp on a rainy day.

The Dunlop has *much* better steering turn in but feels less locked in when straight (160 onwards). Very fun to toss around lol. It squeals easily even with my car power and has the most lively rear end compared to the rest. This Could be viewed as a good feedback characteristic for some Drivers, whereas PZ4 is more sudden when losing it. RE003 has the hardest sidewall among these 3, but grip and braking imo are just behind them. Steering and feedback during cornering is not bad tho.

Enjoy lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

Yep, Falken owned by Sumitomo.

In the past, Falkens were noisy n stayed away. Dunno if improved.

My last Dunlop was the Direzza 101. It was crap.

[thumbsup]  100% agree

• Praise 1

Yep, Falken owned by Sumitomo.

In the past, Falkens were noisy n stayed away. Dunno if improved.

My last Dunlop was the Direzza 101. It was crap.

NO offence

generally you pay what you get.

Sumitomo in a Financial organisation = Investor = investment = Profit to Share Holder.

actually there is Sumitomo Brand tire available in the Market.

I just bought this for my car.

$145 per piece for 16" rims in AL Tyres.

So far how's the review of this tyre?

Hi, any latest update on Dunlop 050+? I was recommended to use this on 18inch... how it the feedback after few months for this topic?

Thanks.

More than 20k km now, thread life looks like halfway. It should last longer than my previous Pirelli PZ4 and BS RE003. Noise and comfort levels still good.

Strengths:

- very good value for money UHP Tyre. Cheap.

- very good wet handling and aquaplaning performance

- Low noise & comfortable UHP tyre lol

Weaknesses

- dry grip and braking

- average UHP tyre performance or maybe it should not be classed as UHP

- not recommended for Track Day / Track speeds on road

• Praise 1

More than 20k km now, thread life looks like halfway. It should last longer than my previous Pirelli PZ4 and BS RE003. Noise and comfort levels still good.

Strengths:

- very good value for money UHP Tyre. Cheap.

- very good wet handling and aquaplaning performance

- Low noise & comfortable UHP tyre lol

Weaknesses

- dry grip and braking

- average UHP tyre performance or maybe it should not be classed as UHP

- not recommended for Track Day / Track speeds on road

How would you compare the 050+ to the PZ4 and RE003?

How would you compare the 050+ to the PZ4 and RE003?

Price is the main advantage. If compare these 3, I’ll choose the Dunlop. If want higher performance, the choice is not these 3 lol

Better than

- re003 in comfort and noise. About equal to Pirelli

- both in wet grip, steering response, thread life

- both when losing grip, more gradual and lots of tyre screech lol

Worse

- dry grip handling

It’s an average UHP tyre. As Iong not pushing hard in corners this is a very good value tyre

• Praise 1

I am on Dunlop maxx rt2. The comfort and quietness of Dunlop is no where compared to my previous continental. Going through rough roads is so noisy. I trusted the workshop who recommended this to me based on my criteria. I will not go back to them anymore.

I am on Dunlop maxx rt2. The comfort and quietness of Dunlop is no where compared to my previous continental. Going through rough roads is so noisy. I trusted the workshop who recommended this to me based on my criteria. I will not go back to them anymore.

When u ask for recommendations on tyres on the spot, tyre shop will always sell u what they need to clear. Even reputable shops will do this. I kenna before, sold a set of bf goodrich tyre. They were the noisest tyres i ever experienced and i quickly change them again after a few days. Not at the same shop of course.
  • Praise 2

Dunlop Quality is no where compare to Continental .

is your Dunlop maxx rt2 made in Germany ?

you mentioned going through rough road is noisy? i thought that is the Road noise not tire noise?

if i were you i will go back my trusted WS a chance to drive with them and test so they can personally feel and hear it,and give another Party a chance (Tire manufacturers) feed back about this Noisy issue.

Hi All,

Just about time for new tyres for my MY11 WRX. I currently have Dunlop SP Sport 01s on and they are ok, but Ive heard good things about the Bridgie RE003s.

Appreciate thoughts from you all, including where to buy

Cheers

wana share your tire size ?

RE003 is from Bridgestone Potenza range, is a mid performance tires.

here are the other brands in the same League : Michelin Pilot sport 4st

just switched from potenza s001 245/40/18 to dunlop 050+ 255/35/19.

noticeably more bumpy. but i guess it's due to the thinner sidewall rather than different brand tyre

straight line is stable, generally happy. maybe money is spent already, have to feel happy haha

yet to try in the wet  or any hard cornering

just switched from potenza s001 245/40/18 to dunlop 050+ 255/35/19.

noticeably more bumpy. but i guess it's due to the thinner sidewall rather than different brand tyre

straight line is stable, generally happy. maybe money is spent already, have to feel happy haha

yet to try in the wet or any hard cornering

Nice, saw your photo in the rims thread too!

On my old car I switched to these from primacy 3st as I wasn't happy with the constant wheelspin of the latter. It was also the only performance tyre with my weird size (235/55r17, nope not an SUV haha). Road noise was definitely more noticeable but not unbearable and a worthwhile sacrifice for the much improved performance.

Unfortunately I did not get to use it for long as I changed car soon after, talk about Murphys law..

Nice, saw your photo in the rims thread too!

On my old car I switched to these from primacy 3st as I wasn't happy with the constant wheelspin of the latter. It was also the only performance tyre with my weird size (235/55r17, nope not an SUV haha). Road noise was definitely more noticeable but not unbearable and a worthwhile sacrifice for the much improved performance.

Unfortunately I did not get to use it for long as I changed car soon after, talk about Murphys law..

thanks, im sure u are happier changing car than changing tyre haha

ya agree road noise is more noticeable now.

thanks, im sure u are happier changing car than changing tyre haha

ya agree road noise is more noticeable now.

Haha generally yes but sometimes I look back and think if I should have renewed Coe instead!
↡ Advertisement