Consolidated Info on MRT/LRT Maintenance & Breakdown Part II

Carbon82

2 SMRT workers taken to hospital after fire breaks out between Orchard and Somerset stations

SINGAPORE — Two workers were sent to the hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out after midnight on Friday (Oct 16) between Orchard and Somerset stations.

The fire started when an engineering locomotive used for hauling equipment caught fire near Somerset station while headed to City Hall station for regular maintenance works after train operations had ended.

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/2-smrt-workers-hospitalised-after-fire-breaks-out-between-orchard-and-somerset-stations

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 1

On 10/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, Adrianli said:

There sure is redundancy but if the main CB is faulty, no amount of redundancy will help.

Like a tyre puncture. If you do not mend the hole and continue to pump air into the tyre, the tyre will still not inflate sufficiently. You will need to stop the car and spend some time to either change the tyre or mend the tyre.

See what I mentioned before.

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Kyrios said:

As usual find 2 scapegoats and case closed..

Erm.. They really need to do their job well, coz their job if got error or what, it will cause great disruption and or their life will be in danger. The main problem is that is it just these 2 staff that has lack of knowledge or is it spread across all staff? So yes, they now suspended from service and need to go for retraining and recertification before then are able to resume work.. What about other staff? I think smrt really need to check all other staff for their product knowledge and competency. If found any of them lack any of it, they should also need to go for retraining and recertification.. 

32 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Erm.. They really need to do their job well, coz their job if got error or what, it will cause great disruption and or their life will be in danger. The main problem is that is it just these 2 staff that has lack of knowledge or is it spread across all staff? So yes, they now suspended from service and need to go for retraining and recertification before then are able to resume work.. What about other staff? I think smrt really need to check all other staff for their product knowledge and competency. If found any of them lack any of it, they should also need to go for retraining and recertification.. 

If the management in SMRT already have problem managing their staff and run the organisation after so many decade, dont know how would they able to improve on the training of all the staff?

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Let's move away from train and get the near zero carbon emission private hire sedan...but need to leave home early...travel time subject to muscles and weight dependent

6541850497_3b66c12a4f.jpg

• Haha! 4

57 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

This is a social and economic anomaly I can never get out of my head...one that exists in many companies...

The ones who are lowly paid...usually are frontline and have huge huge responsibilities in the day to run running of their operations..anything goes wrong, their pay gets docked, performance review goes down the drain for the next few years and gets blamed for everything while receiving a pittance of the salary.

The higher ups in the ivory tower..meanwhile work in aircon comfort, receive astronomical salary, go for 2 hour or more lunch breaks in their spiffy E-class and has almost zero accountability in all matters (just throw down to the ground staff who blundered), and still can receive 12 months bonus. Tell me it isn't happening in your workplaces...esp SMEs...or locally run companies..

How revolting can this be...I mean is fact of life but still...I can't reconcile the hard truths...

Of course..some folks will point out to me the higher ups need to satisfy the board of directors and please shareholders...but then again I have seen this quite a few times riaoz...board is not happy, shareholders pissed....fine beri easy job for CEO...just announce a 're-org'...and 'reshuffle'.....and let go and displace/retrench employees...beri easy job..in fact too predictable and too easy...

Edited by Kyrios
  • Praise 1

Signalling fault wor.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/no-train-services-on-thomson-east-coast-line-on-friday-morning-after-signalling-fault

SINGAPORE - There were no train services on the Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL) on Friday (Dec 4) morning due to a signalling fault.

Rail operator SMRT said on its Twitter page at 5.43am that no services were available on the line, and that "free buses and bridging buses are provided at these stations".

Services at the three stations on the line typically begin from about 5.40am every morning.

In an update at 7.23am, SMRT said train services between Woodlands North and Woodlands South stations remained down, and that the bus bridging services remained available.

"We apologise for the delay to your journey," SMRT added.

Together with Woodlands station, the three stations fall under stage one of the TEL, which have been open since Jan 31.

In a Facebook post on Friday morning, SMRT said its engineers are working to rectify the fault, and added that in-train and station announcements were made to inform commuters of the disruption.

Friday morning's breakdown is the second to happen this year on a new MRT line.

In October, a damaged power cable between Tuas Link and Tuas West Road stations on the East-West Line (EWL) led to a series of events that caused a major MRT disruption affecting three train lines - the EWL, North-South and Circle lines.

The two stations are part of a four-station extension to the EWL that opened in June 2017.

In September, Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung said the completion of the six stations in the second stage of the TEL will be delayed by three months to the first quarter of 2021 due to the impact of Covid-19.

They were initially scheduled to open in late 2020.

Since July 30, services between Woodlands North and Woodlands South stations have had early closures at 9pm daily and late openings at 6.30am on Saturdays and Sundays, for SMRT to "continue testing of the integrated systems and trains in preparation for the opening of stage two" of the line.

The early closures and late openings were slated to end on Aug 30, but have since been extended to Dec 31.

nmtraintel0412.jpg?itok=BfQ5E9FB&timesta

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Thomson east coast line so new still can have signalling fault?

Dunno. Maybe rain water seep into all the signalling wiring?

• Shocked 1