Dahon or Tern?

Soya

Supersonic

Thinking of buying a new foldie. Riding a Dahon for the past 5 years. Quite happy w the quality. Currently shortlisted the Dahon mu8 but keeping options open on Tern. What would be a recommended Tern for $1k budget?

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Used to ride a tern.

Here break there break, needed to use cable tie to secure. Lousy $700+ foldie.

Haha...your Tern sounds like SMRT

Apply same logic as cars: do research online and then do local test drive/ride. If you are happy with Dahon, you may not see the appeal or value in Brompton — it’s a bit like Android vs iOS.

• Praise 1

Sorry Soya to piggyback your thread.

Any recommendation for the missy with a low budget of 300? I have ever bought two white elephants only to sell away at togo site...so wish to have minimal potential loss...

Any recommendation for the missy with a low budget of 300? I have ever bought two white elephants only to sell away at togo site...so wish to have minimal potential loss...

If likely to be white elephant, don't cycle regularly, just go for bike sharing. I have cheapo Aleaco foldie, that also become white elephant. Now I cycle Mobike after my run. Ever since the bike sharing scheme came, I cycle more often.

Thinking of buying a new foldie. Riding a Dahon for the past 5 years. Quite happy w the quality. Currently shortlisted the Dahon mu8 but keeping options open on Tern. What would be a recommended Tern for $1k budget?

Try the Travalo FS-S from Bikeactually. Under 1k but it's good.

Supersonic

Unker, buy Brompton la.

Last a long long time. Good resale value.

Buy in HK.

Brompton?...scared ppl tink i kelong. Lol

If likely to be white elephant, don't cycle regularly, just go for bike sharing. I have cheapo Aleaco foldie, that also become white elephant. Now I cycle Mobike after my run. Ever since the bike sharing scheme came, I cycle more often.

Thanks for the suggestion but my “your highest” royal butt sits no used saddle...I personally have no faith in those available at giant store...they are heavy too.

I had a Dahon Mu SLX and Tern Verge P9.

I feel the Tern folds in a more "ergonomic" way.

You should try to see if you like it.

• Praise 1

There is a thread in Men's hobby on foldable bikes. Check it out.

• Praise 1

Have both Dahon and Tern. Owns 4 foldies with different wheel size and my favourite is still the Tern X10 for its lightweight and relatively fast speed. I prefer the folding style of Tern, but Dahon comes with a landing gear(if bought at local dealers) which makes it easier to be pushed around. Tern Eclipse D16 is a pretty good bike if you want 26" wheels. Should be slightly above your budget. 

Any criteria in mind? Lightweight? Wheelsize? Number of gears? 

• Praise 2

Have both Dahon and Tern. Owns 4 foldies with different wheel size and my favourite is still the Tern X10 for its lightweight and relatively fast speed. I prefer the folding style of Tern, but Dahon comes with a landing gear(if bought at local dealers) which makes it easier to be pushed around. Tern Eclipse D16 is a pretty good bike if you want 26" wheels. Should be slightly above your budget.

Any criteria in mind? Lightweight? Wheelsize? Number of gears?

I’ll be the coolie...so lightweight priority.

Iâll be the coolie...so lightweight priority.

Then can consider dahon dove which is at 8.5kg. Single speed, 14” wheels. Can order from Taobao. Should be around $400 though.

Then can consider dahon dove which is at 8.5kg. Single speed, 14â wheels. Can order from Taobao. Should be around $400 though.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely consider that.

Btw, what’s the selling point of Dahon over say Brompton and Tern?

↡ Advertisement