DIY detailing experiment

Buadongdong

(edited)

Bought some tyre shine products a while back and finally got my lazy bones to work and washed the car myself. Since I was washing, decided to do some experiment for the products i bought. Below are the pics of each of the products used on each tyre. All tyres are given 2 coats of the products and see which lasts longer and maintain its shine.

Feel free to comment on the experiment so that I can do better in future experiments. The photos doesnt do justice to the shine. It actually is shiny but i cannot seem to take a photo to bring out the shine.

post-138980-0-01229600-1525226690_thumb.jpg
post-138980-0-88930200-1525226700_thumb.jpg
post-138980-0-38043500-1525226713_thumb.jpg
post-138980-0-73073600-1525226724_thumb.jpg

I'll report the daily shine status of each tyres and see what are the results.
As of now, in order of most shiny;
1) AG
2) MG
3) AM
4) AF

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

(edited)

Add on pics from my friend's tyres to show the shine better.
Meguair
post-138980-0-48701500-1525231526_thumb.jpg

Amourall Gel
post-138980-0-61600200-1525231534_thumb.jpg

Amourall Foam
post-138980-0-25427400-1525231543_thumb.jpg

Cheapo AutoMax solution
post-138980-0-39170600-1525231552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 6

Good experiment!!

I personal experience diff tires compound produce different finished. This tire shine generally all  very durable except you need to do it the right way if not splashes..Most important wash your tire with APC and the tire shine should hold on well.

I preferred those satin finished tire shine..too shiny abit weird.. ^_^

Good experiment!!

I personal experience diff tires compound produce different finished. This tire shine generally all very durable except you need to do it the right way if not splashes..Most important wash your tire with APC and the tire shine should hold on well.

I preferred those satin finished tire shine..too shiny abit weird.. ^_^

Lol.. Then Amourall foam should fit the bill.. Its not as gilat as the rest.. But price wise, it's cheaper..
  • Praise 1

Lol.. Then Amourall foam should fit the bill.. Its not as gilat as the rest.. But price wise, it's cheaper..

One think i like about foam, easy to use and they dont splash. Just that they dont last like gel type..

One think i like about foam, easy to use and they dont splash. Just that they dont last like gel type..

The rest also quite easy to use la. Also just apply, but must spread the gel evenly. In fact, i'm quite impressed with the cheapest tyre shine automax. Easy to apply. But only time will tell which ones will last the longest. These few days got rain and extreme heat and humidity. Just nice for the experiment. Will update when any of them wear off first.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Tried the armourall gel before... easy to apply and very shiny.... BUT next time you wash rims if you and the sponges touch the tyres you kena black stains from the gel... its like sticky engine oil. So eventually gave up on it.

Now using some cheapo ($3+) tyre liquid that just turns the tyre deep black but not much shine... but it doesn't make the tyre sticky or give black stains.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Tried the armourall gel before... easy to apply and very shiny.... BUT next time you wash rims if you and the sponges touch the tyres you kena black stains from the gel... its like sticky engine oil. So eventually gave up on it.

Now using some cheapo ($3+) tyre liquid that just turns the tyre deep black but not much shine... but it doesn't make the tyre sticky or give black stains.

Bro, the automax that im using is pretty good for its price.. Non messy and not sticky kind. And surprisingly last longer and shinier than armourall foam..

Btw, what brand are u using? Maybe I will go and get 1 to try and compare if its not too expensive. Gonna eliminate armourall foam and try another challenger.

Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Bro, the automax that im using is pretty good for its price.. Non messy and not sticky kind. And surprisingly last longer and shinier than armourall foam..

Btw, what brand are u using? Maybe I will go and get 1 to try and compare if its not too expensive. Gonna eliminate armourall foam and try another challenger.

Carplan ultra shine... made in UK ... but retailing 3-4 bucks in NTUC so confirm is not highly rated or branded stuff. I was thinking it is so cheap that I can afford to buy try and throw away if not happy.

As I said - it is pure liquid, not easy to get it to make any shine. mainly I just brush it on using cheapo small paint brush and it will make the tyre color deep black.

• Praise 1

Carplan ultra shine... made in UK ... but retailing 3-4 bucks in NTUC so confirm is not highly rated or branded stuff. I was thinking it is so cheap that I can afford to buy try and throw away if not happy.

As I said - it is pure liquid, not easy to get it to make any shine. mainly I just brush it on using cheapo small paint brush and it will make the tyre color deep black.

I'll give it a shot since its not expensive.. Try it on the next round of tyres detailing and see how it goes. Thanks..
  • Praise 1

Updates(myself):

1) Amourall foam - faded long ago

2) automax - faded

3) Armourall gel and Meguair gel - both starting to fade in terms of shine but still black.

My friend's updates

1) Amourall foam lousiest followed by;

2) automax

3) Armourall gel and meguair gel tied.

So I guess if there are offer or promotions for this 2 products, can give it a shot. Not too shabby to last this long after a week of rain, hot and humid weather

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I'm sure you've done this, but you want to make sure the entire tire is absolutely clean prior to placing the product on. This not only ensures that it adheres to the tire better, but also penetrates the rubber to protect it from UV etc. 

From my personal experience, I found that GEL type products last longer for retaining a shine. 

Curious, is there any tire shine products found only in the Asian market? Always looking for new things to try!

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Bought this maguiar hybrid ceramic wax, did a DIY application.

The second picture is before, the first picture is after applying ceramic wax.

Let's see how long it will last.

post-84721-0-83347700-1557748389_thumb.jpg

post-84721-0-51114000-1557748415_thumb.jpg

post-84721-0-63999000-1557748495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 5

Supersonic
(edited)

Bought this meguiar hybrid ceramic wax, did a DIY application.

The second picture is before, the first picture is after applying ceramic wax.

Let's see how long it will last.

a bro asked me how old is my car. it is a 10 year old, COE car. It is why i do DIY. 

any incremental improvement will be a plus to me. Objective is hoping that the wax will last longer and make the car easier to wash .

i wash my car once in 4 to 6 weeks, not  hard working type. rain no wash, hot weather no wash, maid no wash car too.

sorry should spell as Meguiar's.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

a bro asked me how old is my car. it is a 10 year old, COE car. It is why i do DIY.

any incremental improvement will be a plus to me. Objective is hoping that the wax will last longer and make the car easier to wash .

i wash my car once in 4 to 6 weeks, not hard working type. rain no wash, hot weather no wash, maid no wash car too.

sorry should spell as Meguiar's.

Good to give it a good prep. Clay or even a cleaner polish, this should enhance the durability of wax further.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3