2018 Kia Cerato K3 / Forte (BD Series) + 2021 Facelift

Thecarboy302

To me, the carryover engine from previous version is not the biggest issue, the skimping of basic safety features on L and EX is, I find it quite ridiculous that they still it's alright to equip a car with no ESC for a brand new model launched in 2018, not to mention having just 2 airbags. Even C&C's own Mitsubishi Attrage has 6 airbags.

Hi bro, understand your point fully.

As mentioned, different specs cater to different folks.

There is Hyundai Elantra as alternative,

which hv 6 Airbags.

It's all about marketing gimmicks.

↡ Advertisement

New 2018 cerato may be new model for Kia, but its built on the current elantra platform/chassis. And now C&C bring it in with old engine+gearbox combo. Wake up your idea pls!

Turbocharged
(edited)

The current K3 is already sluggish in pick up and underpowered to begin with. The gear keeps kicking down to a lower gear  at the slightest depression of the accelerator.

I can't imagine the performance of the new K3 which is heavier in kerb weight and yet lower in horse power and torque - triple whammy! 

Edited by Vinceng

The current K3 is already sluggish in pick up and underpowered to begin with. The gear keeps kicking down to a lower gear  at the slightest depression of the accelerator.

I can't imagine the performance of the new K3 which is heavier in kerb weight and yet lower in horse power and torque - triple whammy! 

Maybe that's the reasons why current outgoing K3 is sluggish compare to previous forte?

Weight issue?

Turbocharged
(edited)

Maybe that's the reasons why current outgoing K3 is sluggish compare to previous forte?

Weight issue?

The Kia K3 is sold with a 1800cc engine in Malaysia and with a 2000cc engine in USA. Because of tax issues & to keep costs low, Singapore gets the bottom of the range 1600cc engine.

The N.A 1600cc engine struggles to move the 1.3 tonne body, made worse with a detuned engine in the new K3 (to meet the latest emission requirements). And the heavier body is not helping in any way!

So you are driving in a brand new car, with a 15 year old engine, which made its first appearance in the 2003 Kia Cerato. The engine has been tuned over the years but the technology is still outdated.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

The Kia K3 is sold with a 1800cc engine in Malaysia and with a 2000cc engine in USA. Because of tax issues & to keep costs low, Singapore gets the bottom of the range 1600cc engine.

The N.A 1600cc engine struggles to move the 1.3 tonne body, made worse with a detuned engine in the new K3 (to meet the latest emission requirements). And the heavier body is not helping in any way!

So you are driving in a brand new car, with a 15 year old engine, which made its first appearance in the 2003 Kia Cerato. The engine has been tuned over the years but the technology is still outdated.

yes.. that's Singapore.

all 1.6NA like Hyundai elantra, Kia K3, toyota Altis, honda civic, and the last batch Mit lanser all are using old aging engine.

still got demand because no choice/option..

• Praise 1

Driving one?

I checked a link and it mentioned that the Gamma engines came out in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine

Well, it is considered old. Don't know when they will come out with a better engine with better consumption figures

What is your view on outdated technology? Toyota ZR engines in Altis came out in 2007.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2072419-2008-altis-on-the-corner/

Any idea whether Altis has a new engine now?

Driving one?

I am driving one, slowly so I don't feel much about the performance. Good enough for me as the handling is decent and the NVH improved after I did some SP.

I checked a link and it mentioned that the Gamma engines came out in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine

Well, it is considered old. Don't know when they will come out with a better engine with better consumption figures

What is your view on outdated technology? Toyota ZR engines in Altis came out in 2007.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2072419-2008-altis-on-the-corner/

Any idea whether Altis has a new engine now?

I am driving one, slowly so I don't feel much about the performance. Good enough for me as the handling is decent and the NVH improved after I did some SP.

Areas which you sp are?

Areas which you sp are?

front doors (double layer)

engine firewall

front flooring

Additional layers of matting (cut to size) at the front seats and in the trunk.

Yokohama tires V552 tyres in front

Other Notes:

Not sure whether the door seals need to change as I do hear some wind buffeting sound ( I switch off my radio quite sometimes when driving)

Sometimes I hear slight rattling and sometimes it goes away.

Distance Travelled - 50k km.

What is your SP experience?

engine firewall

front flooring

Other Notes:

Not sure whether the door seals need to change as I do hear some wind buffeting sound ( I switch off my radio quite sometimes when driving)

I believe in staying stock. If kena accident, all these sp materials will make it difficult for the panel beater to repair

engine firewall

front flooring

Other Notes:

thanks for sharing your experience

I believe in staying stock. If kena accident, all these sp materials will make it difficult for the panel beater to repair

good for you. based on my understanding, the SP does not impede panel repairs, including PDR although the PDR tech may want to charge more.

Please do yourself a favour and get at least a 2liter car. You will not regret. Cruising on the road, upslope, overtaking, long distance drives are much much more comfortable, quieter and refined.

What is the point of having all the electronic tech and features but car is underpowered?

Road tax wise and petrol consumption not much diff.

• Dislike 3

Please do yourself a favour and get at least a 2liter car. You will not regret. Cruising on the road, upslope, overtaking, long distance drives are much much more comfortable, quieter and refined.

What is the point of having all the electronic tech and features but car is underpowered?

say easy, to buy is another financial consideration...

it may not so easy to some buyer...

• Praise 1

Lol.

To each his own

I wouldn't say road tax and petrol costs not much difference... I moved from 1.6 to 2.0 recently...