Exercising and losing weight

ODC

depends on individual and the fitness goals for example building muscle, improve stamina, chest, triceps, biceps etc

and how fast the wants to see their results.

a programs has to be design for each individual to achieve what they wants.

if you just wants to lose weight just by running and simple cardio, it wont work in this way.

i have been training since i was 20 and exercising helps you look younger, healtheir

even if you have all the money in the world but you deesnt have the ability to spend it, wealth doesnt makes you any difference anymore

invest in your health is more of important than making all the money yet in the end you have to pay for your medical problem

without guilded exercise you get injuries you doesnt knows youe MHR maiximum heart rate, fat burning zone etc...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

As a professional in this field this thread is for those looking to enhance their health the right way.

So, "professional", what will you bring to this thread?

In order to "enhance my health", ie increase muscle mass, lower body fat, what should my diet breakdown be like in terms of macronutrients?

In order to "enhance my health", how should I train? Steady state cardio? High intensity? High intensity interval? Should I lift weights?

• Praise 4

i find the most effective way to lose weight is to jog regularly. no other better way. of coz got other ways of doing it, but jogging is most effective in terms of low cost and most conveinent.

other ppl say go gym or go swimming... yeah can be done, but its alot more troublesome, right? u got to drive or go to a venue to do gym or swim. how committed are you to do this over a period of time?

jogging is so easy and its free. just put running shoes and u can run rightaway. no need to drive, no need to bring swimming trunks......

for me, my body reacts alot to jogging. i just started jogging recently. haven't jog for 4-5 years. i climbed 3-4 stairs, i was panting like mad... my waist got bigger, got problem wearing my pants and jeans....

then i decided to jog again. just after 3 regular jogs of 30 mins each, i already can feel the difference. climb stairs, no problem. my pants all can wear, feel more alert, tummy become smaller

guess my body is still adaptable. not everyone responds the same way.

Yup, every body works differently. I started jogging/running short distance of 2.4km since 3 months ago twice every week. But I climb 5 stories of stairs I still will get tired. [laugh]

• Praise 2

Dudes , here.. I need a serious help.. My BMI is a damn 33.. How to reduce it?

Diet is the most important, can start by avoiding supper(if its your habit). Also, you can try not to eat anything after 6pm other than fruits and veg. I used to do that for 2weeks, only eating an apple for dinner while having proper breakfast and dinner, and I lost 2kg without working out.

Edited by GLZT
  • Praise 1

So, "professional", what will you bring to this thread?

In order to "enhance my health", ie increase muscle mass, lower body fat, what should my diet breakdown be like in terms of macronutrients?

In order to "enhance my health", how should I train? Steady state cardio? High intensity? High intensity interval? Should I lift weights?

your age? Body weight? Work type? Health conditions? BMR ? BMI? Weight and health goals? Eating habits? Access to gym ? Thanks...

• Praise 1

Diet is the most important, can start by avoiding supper(if its your habit). Also, you can try not to eat anything after 6pm other than fruits and veg. I used to do that for 2weeks, only eating an apple for dinner while having proper breakfast and dinner, and I lost 2kg without working out.

Yes one of the key is breakfast .. You boost your metabolism and that helps burn your Cal ... Fruits and veg throw in fibers that helps a whole lot slowing down cal absorbtiin tru adsorbtion ...

• Praise 1

The best way to keep slim and healthy is to practice 'hidden exercise'

It's the exercise that you are doing everyday without knowing it.

1) walking quickly to MRT n busstop, etc

2) climbing up staircases instead of escalator,lift.

3) walking to the fax machine, walking around the office often.

4) eat small and healthy portion in the hawker center during working dayS.

5) carry baskets instead of using trolleys in supermarket.

6) doing housework, instEad of letting the maid do. Say clean the floor everyday.

7) Smoking will curb hunger urge, n makes you eat less. Smoke one stick just before your lunch n dinner.

8) go disco and dance at least twice per week, wed and frday nights.

9) get some basic knowledge of calorie counting and stick to low cal food.

10) be vain...very VAIN. This will keep you motivated to look good for the entire life!

The above is my new year resolUtion for 2011.

• Praise 4

The best way to keep slim and healthy is to practice 'hidden exercise'

It's the exercise that you are doing everyday without knowing it.

1) walking quickly to MRT n busstop, etc --> but I drive leh

2) climbing up staircases instead of escalator,lift. --> I stay above 30th floor leh, climb until siao

I can only stick to swimming; hurt my ankle this year and didn't have it heal properly. Can't run much already.

keep raining these few days also find it hard to swim.

everyday work until 10pm or so

• Praise 3

Running seem to be bad for my knee. Will stick to walking instead.

So long as can work to more than 80% of my MHR at 30 minutes will do, screw the mileage.

Shoes? only Asics for me. Mizuno is my second choice.

Food, eat less oily, less sugar, unfortunately very difficult for me for the volume

• Praise 3

Running seem to be bad for my knee. Will stick to walking instead.

So long as can work to more than 80% of my MHR at 30 minutes will do, screw the mileage.

Shoes? only Asics for me. Mizuno is my second choice.

Food, eat less oily, less sugar, unfortunately very difficult for me for the volume

wah lau!!! u can tahan 80% max for 30min :wacko: Super siong, think i will die of heart attack

• Praise 3

i read that High Intensity Interval Training is very good for burning fats

1 min fast sprint followed by 1 to 2 mins slow jog.

Do it for about 15 mins each session and 3 sessions a week.

how true/effective is that?

• Praise 3

I have started to run the treadmill 5km 3 times a week since 3 mths ago.

After 5km run I'll do a few sets of free weights, sadly, my weight remained the same, but body a little more defined.

• Praise 3

i read that High Intensity Interval Training is very good for burning fats

1 min fast sprint followed by 1 to 2 mins slow jog.

Do it for about 15 mins each session and 3 sessions a week.

how true/effective is that?

that is one valuable tip !

Hi intensity interval exercise or HIIT is a good way of reducing the total workout time but achieving higher fat burning effect. Your VO2 max is increased and u tone ur muscles as well. And it raises your metabolic rate to a higher leval vs moderate workout. Here's a simple cycle

1. The resting interval : jogging for 30s

2. Then do a sprint at 80% ur max speed for 30s

3. Reduce to jogging for 30s

repeat the sprint jog cycle for about 6 to 10 times

After 5km run I'll do a few sets of free weights, sadly, my weight remained the same, but body a little more defined.

Have u tried separating the aerobic and anaerobics? Eg treadmill on one day and freeweights on another ... May improve the results :)

You have to change your training routine once your body got used to your regular training. You cannot always stick to one.

• Praise 1

Actually u should go outdoors n run...

cos it will be much effective.

Personally i tried both methods....

but running outdoors would be much efficient

[:)]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1