Exercising and losing weight

ODC

oh no. u read the comments below, that bui bui guy was running a half marathon. He actually replied that he was proud to be in that picture haha.

Ya, realised that later after @tangocharlie posted that screenshot.   [laugh]   Sigh, thought I have something that some bui bui can run. Have to explain why there's always one or two of them at the finish line before me.

↡ Advertisement

To put in NSmen perspective, his pace for 2.4km is 9min 55 sec. And that stretch all the way to 42.195km.  

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

Hello! 2 years ago I lost 20 pounds in two months. What helped me the most were 30 minutes of exercise five days a week. That was a plan that I stuck to and tried to do it no matter what. Each time I had a break I lunged and I squatted and I did push-ups. To be honest, we ALWAYS have time to do that. We just don't want to admit it. 

• Praise 4

I stop watching what I eat liao. But the amount of exercises I increase. They look at hunter and gatherers what they eat, they forgot to mention they probably expense alot of calories in a day going for a hunt and foraging for durians. Also they don't gather enough food in a day compare to amount we eat by dialing the GRAB FOOD number. LoL
  • Praise 3

Seems having a balanced diet is the longstanding truth, whether you eat rice or eat kentang, got to make sure take in enough fiber, all essential nutrients moderately and exercise sufficiently. No need to go into extreme diets.

What's commando gold standard ah ? Then again, seems we don't measure very much on endurance in our IPPT, mostly strength ? The new US Army standard now include 5-mile (8 km+) run or was it 2-mile (3.2 km) ? 

Edit: US Ranger test includes 5-mile run.

Gold last time below 25 years old is 9:44. Commando if i recall correctly is 9:20

I stop watching what I eat liao. But the amount of exercises I increase. They look at hunter and gatherers what they eat, they forgot to mention they probably expense alot of calories in a day going for a hunt and foraging for durians. Also they don't gather enough food in a day compare to amount we eat by dialing the GRAB FOOD number. LoL

Other than trying not to eat 14 hrs a day, i don't really watch my diet also. Other than my salads on some workdays, i just eat what i want.

Just try to consume more protein on the days i do some mat exercises

Edited by Lala81

Just came across this thread again, the last time I saw this thread I wasnt into the topic so didnt pay attenttion, that was a few years back.

Just wish to share with you guys a little about what I did from July to September this year. I am 180cm and had maintain my weight at 74kg for at least 5 years. I use to be 69kg during my NS time. I do exercise 1-2 times a week by running about 3-4km per session.

I had a 2 days business trip to Vietnam on June this year and in this 2 days, I put on 2kg of weight due to various factors, mostly the people around me and I hate to waste food, this is not mere weight fluctuation cause I weigh myself almost daily and it didnt drop even after a couple of weeks.

That's when reality hits me, I realized that my sugar intake was too high and it just makes the addiction worst. In other words, I was a carbs slut. I was the kind that cant live without carbs because I'm quite the thrifty person when it comes to ordering food even though I enjoy going to restaurants. The cheap stuff are all mostly carbs and easily able to fill one's stomach.

Anyway, I started to cut down on carbs and add quite a lot of fibre. Lunch time I would eat either of these: YTF soup without rice/noodles, caipeng without rice, or other soup dishes that usually comes with rice but without the rice. Dinner time was the same, home cook food without rice. Veg like brocolli or cauliflower can be quite filling, so I ate alot of those. The only time I ate some carbs were breakfast, I had 2slices of bread. I was very determined, so I didnt feel any cravings even after cutting off so suddenly. I estimated I was only eating about 800-1500 calories because at times I skipped meals. I have increase my exercise routine to a firm 3 times a week and increased my running distance to 5-6km each session and doing some strength training using resistance band. Anyway for the 3 months, I lost 7kg of weight and went back to my ns weight.

I have stopped my diet by end September, now I eat what I want. But I no longer eat any white rice, to me, white rice is no longer tasty and worth the calories. I still do eat chicken rice or fried rice though. Since September till now, even when I no longer follow my diet strictly, I've lost 1kg and now hovers between 67 - 68kg. The 3 times a week at 5-6km regime still remains but sometimes I substitute 1 of the session with a 30min water rower that I bought. I still prefer running though.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, some of my friends say it's detrimental to my health by losing this amount of weight in a short time. I only know I feel really good and confident compared to when I stuff myself in the past. Now I still do once in a while, but just cause I dont like to waste food.

• Praise 10

Seems having a balanced diet is the longstanding truth, whether you eat rice or eat kentang, got to make sure take in enough fiber, all essential nutrients moderately and exercise sufficiently. No need to go into extreme diets.

What's commando gold standard ah ? Then again, seems we don't measure very much on endurance in our IPPT, mostly strength ? The new US Army standard now include 5-mile (8 km+) run or was it 2-mile (3.2 km) ? 

Edit: US Ranger test includes 5-mile run.

gold is all station mini 3 pts, total at least 21 points. Monetary is total at least 21 points but 2.4 km must be sub 9.15. 

For Guardsmen Monetary also 2.4 km  must be sub 9.15. 

I cannot remember if I am correct on the points, but I am damn sure of the 2.4 km timing..[laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edit: I think gold is all 5 points, 3 points is just to pass for commandos, because for GDS to pass need to be at least 2 points each station.  But total points for gold was 21 points.  [:p]

Edited by Tianmo

[laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

post-65783-0-29682500-1545483743.jpg

If we all go become farmer, and work like a farmer, i think we dont have to worry of diet at all... [:p]

• Praise 3

IMG-20181222-WA0004~2.jpeg

helpful to have not 1 but 3 motivational factors to push me harder ððð

train harder bros....

fats dont take off days during holidays

Fats work double hard during feasty season cos we eat like no tomorrow only to regret for the rests of the surviving tomorrowS.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2