Exercising and losing weight

ODC

2 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

The PM 2.5 was ard 25 the time you ran? 

The west side now is clear sky AQI ard 50, and PM2.5 ard 13, but it was just 9 an hour ago. 

I think starting to increase as the days goes. Sibei sian.  :pissed-off:

I use AQIcn website. It always shows higher number. 70 is one of the lowest during this haze period. 

Your less than 50 readings should be the haze nea site. 

↡ Advertisement

3 minutes ago, Ender said:

I use AQIcn website. It always shows higher number. 70 is one of the lowest during this haze period. 

Your less than 50 readings should be the haze nea site. 

I use haze@sg to monitor the AQI,  only refer back to nea website to check the PM2.5 against haze@sg to see same or not. 

I don't bother with the 24 hrs psi reading on the nea site lor.  

Haze@sg lowest AQI for the west in the 5-6 am was 53, east was like 78 I think. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Kxbc said:

I was just about to ask those regular runners here what are your alternative cardio plans if you can't run outside. 

Treadmill is one but boring after 3km.

I guess skipping is another alternative but I don't have the skill to do it continuously for 20 30 min. 

Hike up BT hill or run the trails...so far hasn't affected my runs. Mostly elevated still ok to run ba.

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

So who belongs to which grp?  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But I think this does not apply to runners only,  it apply to all type of sports. I had 10 putters from 30" to 5 ft long in length at the peak of my golf game.  [:p]

rps20190917_062416.jpg

In between, 2 pairs if shoes and a pair if sandals. But end up mostly using only a pair. 😄

• Praise 5

3 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I do burpees. Saves time and it's a good workout.

great idea. try the every minute on the minute burpee workout. it's HIIT.

3 hours ago, Ender said:

I admit I am the left one. 🤣

not a runner so i am the one on the right.

even if i add up all my shoes (work, leisure, sports, slippers), prob only less than 10 pairs.

Edited by Kxbc

48 minutes ago, Ender said:

Early in the morning, AQI is 168 here. Cannot proceed with morning run. So it is not always clear in the morning. 

The air is much worse this morning cf last night. Last night the aqi was 140 but the air was quite clear and no haze smell. Today am is 160 but quite irritating. My eyes bit affected 

• Praise 1

skipped my run last evening as well due to the haze. i think can skip for the rest of this week too. sky does not seem will clear up.

substitute run with a 30 min 6km rowing session. not as xiong as a run but it's all dependent how much power i want to put into each stroke.

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

what is easier to treat? cerebral embolism — a blood vessel in his brain was blocked by a clot, or a brain hemorrhage - blood vessel burst in the brain?

No better no worse.

Clot treatment is more medical. Can take medications.

Brain hemorrhage is either operate, embolise the bleeding spot via procedure or just supportive.

• Praise 1

32 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

No better no worse.

Clot treatment is more medical. Can take medications.

Brain hemorrhage is either operate, embolise the bleeding spot via procedure or just supportive.

side step a little.

Is cancer genetic? 

Recently I came across a few cases of friends and relatives who went down with the illness, some claim in runs in the family... [:/]:blink:

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

side step a little.

Is cancer genetic? 

Recently I came across a few cases of friends and relatives who went down with the illness, some claim in runs in the family... [:/]:blink:

OK, i think you're more concerned with whether cancer is inherited.

Truly high incidence inherited cancers are not common but there are some classic examples where the genetic predisposition is very strong.
- Example, Angelina Jolie doing a double mastectomy because she's a BRCA1/2 gene carrier (her mother and aunts died from breast cancer)
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact-sheet#how-much-does-having-a-brca1-or-brca2-gene-mutation-increase-a-womans-risk-of-breast-and-ovarian-cancer

Then there are familial aggregation of certain types of cancer. Example if you have 1st degree relative with colon cancer before age 40-45, you are at higher risk of the above. For my case, my son is at roughly 4 times increased risk of the same cancer compared to the general population.

The lay person tends to overestimate the risk and attribute it to hereditary risk. But of course good diet, exercise, weight control are important in modifying the other risk factors for cancer. An opposite way of thinking would be some people get lung cancer even though they never come close to any cigarettes (though smoking is a strong risk factor for getting lung cancer)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2