Exercising and losing weight

ODC

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

OK, i think you're more concerned with whether cancer is inherited.

Truly high incidence inherited cancers are not common but there are some classic examples where the genetic predisposition is very strong.
- Example, Angelina Jolie doing a double mastectomy because she's a BRCA1/2 gene carrier (her mother and aunts died from breast cancer)
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact-sheet#how-much-does-having-a-brca1-or-brca2-gene-mutation-increase-a-womans-risk-of-breast-and-ovarian-cancer

Then there are familial aggregation of certain types of cancer. Example if you have 1st degree relative with colon cancer before age 40-45, you are at higher risk of the above. For my case, my son is at roughly 4 times increased risk of the same cancer compared to the general population.

The lay person tends to overestimate the risk and attribute it to hereditary risk. But of course good diet, exercise, weight control are important in modifying the other risk factors for cancer. An opposite way of thinking would be some people get lung cancer even though they never come close to any cigarettes (though smoking is a strong risk factor for getting lung cancer)

Thanks.

Why I asked is because not too long ago, my FIL sister husband pass on due to prostate cancer.  All his siblings either died the same way or about to die the same way, his son was quite worried and was telling me that it seem to run in the family.  Just last week we received news that the son is down with stage 2 and just went for an ops, and he being the only son also has a only son. 

I have an ex colleague, died of stomach cancer at the age of 45, his parents and sister all died of different cancers before 50.

OC has a classmate, seem like breast cancer runs in the family, mother and 2 daughters all tio...

Thats why made me wonder, could it be cells being passed down...:blink:[:/]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1

my maternal grandmother died from cancer. my mother and 1 of her sibling too. maybe there is a higher risk for their descendants.

22 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Thanks.

Why I asked is because not too long ago, my FIL sister husband pass on due to prostate cancer.  All his siblings either died the same way or about to die the same way, his son was quite worried and was telling me that it seem to run in the family.  Just last week we received news that the son is down with stage 2 and just went for an ops, and he being the only son also has a only son. 

I have an ex colleague, died of stomach cancer at the age of 45, his parents and sister all died of different cancers before 50.

OC has a classmate, seem like breast cancer runs in the family, mother and 2 daughters all tio...

Thats why made me wonder, could it be cells being passed down...:blink:[:/]

Definitely some families have a strong familial history. My maternal grandfather had esophageal cancer but actually everyone else in the family (parents and their siblings,  other 3 grandparents) was cancer free, except for me LOL.

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Well cancer is the most common cause of death here in SG.

https://www.nccs.com.sg/patient-care/cancer-types/cancer-statistics

I told my OC that just be prepare, these days we either die from cancer (any form), heart attack or accident.  There is like almost no other alternative. 

And frankly speaking, I am mentally very prepare..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

I told my OC that just be prepare, these days we either die from cancer (any form), heart attack or accident.  There is like almost no other alternative. 

Don't forget to be financially prepared too if you still have dependents.

• Praise 2

This morning 6am, AQI dropped below 100. My nose did not sense any smell. Don't know if tomorrow is going to be the same, so 10km done. 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Ender said:

This morning 6am, AQI dropped below 100. My nose did not sense any smell. Don't know if tomorrow is going to be the same, so 10km done. 

lol 2km for me.

• Praise 5

2 hours ago, Ender said:

Me too 😀

• Praise 3

22 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Just do regular screening so can have high chance of early intervention for those things that are of concern. 

Myself, got polyps in intestine. So means I have to do colonoscope more regularly than other people. For prevention and early intervention if necessary. 

• Praise 4

14 minutes ago, Ender said:

Just do regular screening so can have high chance of early intervention for those things that are of concern. 

Myself, got polyps in intestine. So means I have to do colonoscope more regularly than other people. For prevention and early intervention if necessary. 

Why did u do the first colonscopy ar? What prompted you.

• Praise 1

47 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Why did u do the first colonscopy ar? What prompted you.

Bleeding in stool. 

So went to see polyclinic. the doc say is pile, but since I over 50s, he highly recommend I go for colonoscopy while doing the rubber banding for piles. Glad that they found polyops early, so now I know I have to do more regular colonoscopy than you guys.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

6 minutes ago, Ender said:

Bleeding in stool. 

So went to see polyclinic. the doc say is pile, but since I over 50s, he highly recommend I go for colonoscopy while doing the rubber banding for piles. Glad that they found polyops early, so now I know I have to do more regular colonoscopy than you guys.

ah i c. Good then. 

Zzz bummer. My girls flutter kicks are not good. So I bought flippers to let her train her kicking naturally. Cos I can talk until cows come home and it's hard to get her to consistently kick properly. 

But safra pools doesn't allow it other than under their swim school. Apparently public pools also can't.😡

Zzz need to bring to my sis condo pool to use. 😪

↡ Advertisement