Exercising and losing weight

ODC

1 hour ago, BenLinn said:

Sometimes work has nothing to do with it. I just have a big family and sometimes it becomes difficult to allocate six hours of continuous sleep. Someone wakes up anyway ((

Quality sleep better than quantity sleep la. If you have a deep sleep, even sleep for 4 hours also quite refreshing.

• Praise 2

52 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Almost all the top school athletes have some form of injuries, and not once.  In fact, all top athletes have injuries, is how bad and how fast they recover. Hamstring seem to be one of the main area that gets hurt very easily, so I pay a lot of attention to my boy's hamstring...[:p]

Every time you take a walk ard the national athletes training ground, sure can see one or another bao kar bao chew ones training and walking ard. [laugh]

I guess the gov may have realize something, or may have read into some research recently. Starting this year, MOE has gone away with the usual track and field events in Pri sch, and replaced with a "combine event" track and field event. So Pri sch kids now do multi event( run, jump, throw) instead of specified events, they only go into a particular event when they move on to sec sch. 

serious athletes actually very hard to cross train, unless they know that a different set of training can help improve their performance, otherwise most of the time weight training is about the closest cross train you can get...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4

10 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Almost all the top school athletes have some form of injuries, and not once.  In fact, all top athletes have injuries, is how bad and how fast they recover. Hamstring seem to be one of the main area that gets hurt very easily, so I pay a lot of attention to my boy's hamstring...[:p]

Every time you take a walk ard the national athletes training ground, sure can see one or another bao kar bao chew ones training and walking ard. [laugh]

I guess the gov may have realize something, or may have read into some research recently. Starting this year, MOE has gone away with the usual track and field events in Pri sch, and replaced with a "combine event" track and field event. So Pri sch kids now do multi event( run, jump, throw) instead of specified events, they only go into a particular event when they move on to sec sch. 

serious athletes actually very hard to cross train, unless they know that a different set of training can help improve their performance, otherwise most of the time weight training is about the closest cross train you can get...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Agreed. The time alone needed for training of serious athletes already a hindrance towards any cross training. 

Probably more for the kids who aren't aiming for serious level of achievement, just representing school. 

Hamstring is the one that allows u to decelerate and help u put your foot/knee where u want it to be mah. Of course get injured easily for any type of t&f event with running/sprints involved. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Agreed. The time alone needed for training of serious athletes already a hindrance towards any cross training. 

Probably more for the kids who aren't aiming for serious level of achievement, just representing school. 

Hamstring is the one that allows u to decelerate and help u put your foot/knee where u want it to be mah. Of course get injured easily for any type of t&f event with running/sprints involved. 

Yah, I guess is more for young kids who dont specialize in a certain sport too young. Because they are still growing, so focusing too much on a certain set of muscles may result in imbalance growth or early injury too soon too early.

I am starting to think that mayb it is a good idea to let the kids cross train in multi sports before they go into something at a later stage rather than starting them real early, like what is happening now. So although many old time coaches are not really in favor of the change, I think it may result in an all round development in the kids before they really show their strength in certain sports or events. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

had a slow jog at the Old Upp Thomson Road (to Upp Peirce Reservoir) today. They converted half the road to PCN

quite nice route now, halfway can also drop by to the new Thomson Nature Park

• Praise 7

16 minutes ago, Scion said:

had a slow jog at the Old Upp Thomson Road (to Upp Peirce Reservoir) today. They converted half the road to PCN

quite nice route now, halfway can also drop by to the new Thomson Nature Park

The new Thomson Nature Park is the latest new nature park, i still havent go explore where exactly this place is? How to get there if by car or bus? [:p] Maybe the coming long weekend might go check out the place.

10 minutes ago, 13177 said:

The new Thomson Nature Park is the latest new nature park, i still havent go explore where exactly this place is? How to get there if by car or bus? [:p] Maybe the coming long weekend might go check out the place.

Near nee soon camp. Beside spring leaf. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Near nee soon camp. Beside spring leaf. 

No lah.. that's the springleaf park I believe

Thomson nature park is near to Cassaurina prata there.... It showcases the ruins of the former Hainan kampong

• Praise 5

2 hours ago, Scion said:

Thomson nature park is near to Cassaurina prata there.... It showcases the ruins of the former Hainan kampong

oh haha. Ok. I thought they were the same.

[dead]

2 hours ago, Scion said:

So park near to Cassaurina prata there? Or the Thomson nature Park has a carpark?

20 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Yah, I guess is more for young kids who dont specialize in a certain sport too young. Because they are still growing, so focusing too much on a certain set of muscles may result in imbalance growth or early injury too soon too early.

I am starting to think that mayb it is a good idea to let the kids cross train in multi sports before they go into something at a later stage rather than starting them real early, like what is happening now. So although many old time coaches are not really in favor of the change, I think it may result in an all round development in the kids before they really show their strength in certain sports or events. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Some super elite athletes credit multiple sports (when they were younger until college level) as instrumental to their success.

Like Lebron James was actually an american football player in high school. 

• Praise 1

56 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Some super elite athletes credit multiple sports (when they were younger until college level) as instrumental to their success.

Like Lebron James was actually an american football player in high school. 

I was speaking to one of the national coach some time back, and he said one of the reason for doing multi event is because they realize that the drop out rate is very very high. Many top youth athletes who showed potential at national school games drop of out the sport after A division. Could be due to NS, could be due to starting too young, and they lose interest after more than 10 years doing the same sport from a young age. 

So now they start to work on the basic  (run, jump, throw) for everyone, and filter them later according to their strength. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

There is this young chap in my son's training club, he played basketball in Sec sch, but decided to try track in ITE. Big and tall fellow, when he first came, nobody really paid too much attention to him except for his height (1.85m). But he pick up real fast, and in 6 months, he beat everyone in the team, including one 4th place A div national runner.  Even run his way into National B team.

He has very good physical advantage from basketball training, and is able to understand the new skill, one example of switching sports at a later stage..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

me son also never did hurdle until later part of sec 1, he said the others know each other because they were already competitors since Pri school, he was the new kid on the board, and nobody paid attention to him. :XD:

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, 13177 said:

So park near to Cassaurina prata there? Or the Thomson nature Park has a carpark?

Can either park at cassaurina there and walk via old upper Thomson road PCN, or enter to thr park's carpark along the main road upper Thomson road....

The trails are about 1.5 to 2km long

Edited by Scion
  • Praise 2

28 minutes ago, Scion said:

Can either park at cassaurina there and walk via old upper Thomson road PCN, or enter to thr park's carpark along the main road upper Thomson road....

The trails are about 1.5 to 2km long

Found this link. Nature park information and direction to the park. [:)]

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/parks-and-nature-reserves/thomson-nature-park

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Scion said:

Good Recommendation.