Exercising and losing weight

ODC

17 hours ago, Tianmo said:

10 yrs old girl? how heavy is she now? sld be just below 30kg? 

Personally I wont get too worry now, given that you are tall and slim, your Mrs is slim (i cannot recall her height), your son is tall and slim. There really is no surprise that your daughter is "underweight",  most likely due to her height I suppose.  If she is tall or taller for her age, then it is common for her to be "underweight" for now.

For 30 kg or less, getting in 30g of protein a day from normal diet is really not that difficult.  2 eggs already covers 16g, 250ml of milk about 7g, most other food she eats like chicken, pork, veg, beans, noodle, bread, etc would have some sort of protein. 

I am a believer of taking enough protein is important, but I am not too sure if giving whey protein supplement now to a 10 yr old girl who is not very active is a good idea. Personally i dont think i will. 

I only started giving whey to my son when he was 13, and only gave to him after his training. He is 14 now, and I give him one in the morning and another one in the afternoon if he trains double session. 

But still, I dont think it will cause any harm, at least like what @Lala81 said, better than giving her milo in a pack. Just that personally I would rather she gets her daily protein from whole food now, which is really not that difficult even on a Asian diet. 

In any case, more protein may not get you more weight, more carbs mix with fats will, so if weight is what you are more interested to get her on, give her oily carbs, sure make her overweight. 

Just be careful she going to hate you for the rest of your life..[:p][laugh][laugh]

Ya, she is like me , slim. But checking the HPB website, her underweight is consider severe. 26.9KG of a height 140cm. Malnutritions level liao.

My whey for Lazada still haven't shipped out yet. Quite anxious get her started on the protein supplement for weight gaining. She carries a water bottle when we go outing. I am thinking to start off by replacing her water bottle with Whey shake. So she don't have to finish it in one go. 

↡ Advertisement

6 hours ago, Ender said:

Ya, she is like me , slim. But checking the HPB website, her underweight is consider severe. 26.9KG of a height 140cm. Malnutritions level liao.

My whey for Lazada still haven't shipped out yet. Quite anxious get her started on the protein supplement for weight gaining. She carries a water bottle when we go outing. I am thinking to start off by replacing her water bottle with Whey shake. So she don't have to finish it in one go. 

Think should be coming soon. I just got it today! 

7 hours ago, Ender said:

I will likely consult pediatrician before taking any action 

• Praise 2

On 11/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, Lala81 said:

Anyway, did workout #3 for the week cos woke up early again and no need to send dg to school.

Lol my wife got National steps challenge tracker recently, so made me wear it during my runs. But it's damn annoying cos it keeps buzzing once your HR goes into 160-170+ (maybe it's calibrated for her). So during the last 400-500m of my usual 2.2km route, the thing is just buzzing every 4-5 seconds constantly...[:p]

2.2km is only about 2000+ steps, not easy to reach 10k steps a day.

No calibration. I find it registered consistently higher hr than my amazfit.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, Aloe111 said:

Think the newer devices need to detect HR before registering the strep count.

Unless you tie to your pet 🐕

😆

There are in fact 2 separate challenges. One is number of steps and the other is MVPA which is hr related.

• Praise 2

On 11/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, Ender said:

Underweight if due to genetic from parents, the child also hard to gain much weight. Unless really put in lots and lots of effort and exercise, and have the perseverance to maintain it.

• Praise 2

On 11/8/2019 at 2:33 PM, Mugenr said:

Thanks guys. actually have been following this thread quite a bit. 

but with so many solutions its hard to choose one and fingers cross that it works. 

Seems like IF and some runs gets the vote here. Anyone has a meal plan to share?

Keep it simple so more sustainable. I am on IF and the only change I made is kopi o kosong for breakfast.

• Praise 4

Received my ON Whey Protein today. Got a ON Windbreaker and Bag as free gifts.

My daughter says the Chocolate whey taste like watery milo. She is fine with the taste. I am still drinking my old MuscleTech Whey though.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29801627/how-accurate-is-your-wrist-heart-rate-monitor/

How Accurate Is Your Wrist-Based Heart Rate Monitor?

New research finds some models are better at faster speeds

[*]New research examined the accuracy of wrist-based heart rate monitors for runners.
[*]The research found that inaccuracy increased as runners went faster during their runs.
[*]The findings suggest that you might be better off with a chest-strap heart rate monitor on your fastest workouts.

Wrist-based heart rate monitors are certainly less cumbersome than those with a chest strap. But they’re also less accurate, especially as you run faster, and some models can be off by several beats per minute, according to new research.

For a study published in Cardiovascular Diagnosis & Therapy, researchers at the Cleveland Clinic had 50 adults (34 men, 16 women) run on a treadmill at an increasing pace. The runners started at 4 miles per hour, and sped up by 1 mile per hour every 2 minutes until a final 2-minute bout at 9 miles per hour (6:40 per mile pace).

The runners wore an electrocardiogram (ECG), which is considered the most accurate way to measure heart rate, and a Polar H7 chest strap heart monitor. In randomized order, the runners also wore two wrist-based heart monitors (one on each wrist) from among these four commercially available models: Apple Watch III, Fitbit Ionic, Garmin Vivosmart HR, and TomTom Spark 3.

The researchers compared the heart rate readings given by the wrist monitors and Polar chest strap to those given by the ECG. The key finding: As the runners went faster, the wrist monitors became less accurate. At rest, the difference between the commercially available monitors and the ECG were small enough to be considered insignificant.

At all paces, the readings from the chest strap most closely matched those from the ECG. None of the wrist monitors were as accurate as the chest strap; at 8 mph (7:30 mile pace) and 9 mph, the difference between the wrist monitor and ECG readings increased.

The Apple monitor was the most accurate of the wrist devices at all paces. For example, at 9 mph, the Apple monitor was off by 1.5 beats per minute, compared to almost 3 beats per minute for the Garmin. Adding to the potential uncertainty: On average at any speed, the Garmin used in this study underestimated heart rate by of 2 beats per minute, while the TomTom monitor overestimated heart rate by 6 beats per minute.

A 2017 study by the Cleveland Clinic team found an earlier version of the Apple Watch to be more accurate than contemporary Fitbit, Garmin and TomTom models up to 10 minute per mile pace. Research published in 2016 also found the Apple watch to be more accurate than several other wrist-worn devices.

Wrist-based heart monitors likely become more inaccurate at higher intensities because of greater arm action, Milind Desai, M.D., one of the Cleveland Clinic researchers, told Runner’s World.

To what extent do these findings matter? On most runs, probably not much. But when you’re doing your hardest workouts and aiming for a heart rate in a quite narrow range, precision becomes more important. If your wrist device already under- or overestimates your heart rate, and then you add more inaccuracy at faster speeds, you might well be running too fast or too slow.

For example, to get the optimal benefits from a VO2 max workout, you might do 800-meter repeats at 93 to 95 percent of your maximum heart rate. If your max heart rate is 180, you would aim to sustain a heart rate between 167 and 171 for most of your repeats. If your wrist monitor is off by only 5 beats per minute in either direction, you wouldn’t get the full intended benefits from that workout.

If that level of precision is important to you, consider using a chest-strap monitor on your fastest workouts. American record holder and two-time Olympian Molly Huddle usually relies on a wrist monitor, but wears a chest strap for hill repeats and short track intervals.

If you don’t want to wear a chest strap, Desai advises setting a goal range within a 5-beats-per-minute window to account for potential wrist monitor inaccuracy. Also, Desai says, make sure your wrist monitor fits comfortably but snugly to minimize its movement when you pick up the pace.

• Praise 3

23 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

Keep it simple so more sustainable. I am on IF and the only change I made is kopi o kosong for breakfast.

Actually kopi o kosong, the coffee bean is roasted with margarine.

so kopi o kosong technically still is breaking fast right?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Theoldjaffa said:

I suppose technically you are right. But since I still lose weight despite doing so, I'll say it is still effective for me.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Theoldjaffa said:

Technically, IF is simply a way to perform calorie restriction via restricted time feeding by skipping one meal. If u eat the proper (less processed) foods, u probably are consuming 10-15% less calories. 

It doesn't really matter what u take during your fast if u just drink some coffee (bulletproof or kopi kosong). If it blips your insulin slightly, then it will just drop down later. Caffeine also has a appetite suppressing effect. 

Similarly the process of eating minimal carbs or less rice. You have to eat more protein/fibre/some fat to achieve this purpose.

But if u are taking animal fat to achieve this purpose, like in the case of bulletproof kopi, I'm Not sure that's a great idea. Just like how the ketogenic diet is one extreme vs the vegan diet on other extreme. Most of us have to follow down a very broad middle path which depends on which sidewalk u are nearer. 

I used to think that fat does satiate me more, which it does. But actually if u increase up the protein (like what bodybuilders or athletes do), it does as well. My common example would be full cream milk (3.5gm/100ml) vs low fat milk (1.4-1.5 gm per 100ml). What I do is add whey to increase the protein and it also satiates u. But it's a different kind of feeling. Dunno how to describe. 

• Praise 1

On 11/21/2019 at 2:30 PM, TangoCharlie said:

I suppose technically you are right. But since I still lose weight despite doing so, I'll say it is still effective for me.

You exercise a lot and low body fat percentage and obviously diet conscious, sure good one lah. These are just some tools in the toolkit. 

• Praise 2

On 11/20/2019 at 12:43 PM, TangoCharlie said:

Hope my lungs look better having quit for 10 + years.😅

If u didn't reach the stage of copd, other than cancer risk, your lungs should be able to recover mostly. Though how backed up by studies I'm not sure. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

You exercise a lot and low body fat percentage and obviously diet conscious, sure good one lah. These are just some tools in the toolkit. 

In my case, IF solely caused the weight/fat loss over a year since I have been active all along. But whether due to caloric reduction or change in hormonal system or a combination of both, I can't tell for sure.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3