Exercising and losing weight

ODC

I had a stupid fall in early April. The wound around my left knee.

Rather than gauze, I use Opsite to cover the wound.

I was still cycling/running 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
42 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I had a stupid fall in early April. The wound around my left knee.

Rather than gauze, I use Opsite to cover the wound.

I was still cycling/running 

My shoulder is using opsite over a gauze. Wound is still wet after one week.

Compare to the knee which is just bandage over gauze, the knee is almost healed with scabs. I am not covering this knee wound anymore,

• Praise 1

Keeping the wound moist is the opposite of the natural healing process where the clotting process occurs to seal off the wound and prevent infection of the wounded area.

Do be careful of infection.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Keeping the wound moist is the opposite of the natural healing process where the clotting process occurs to seal off the wound and prevent infection of the wounded area.

Do be careful of infection.

Yes after my surgery, doctors and nurses told me to keep the wound dry. I had waterproof dressing, and when I bathe, I cut open plastic bags and paste over. 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Ender said:

Today marked exactly 1 week I didn't run, due to a bad fall last week.

Interesting can see how different dressing affect wound healing I have two similar size skin abrasions, one on the shoulder and the other on the left leg near the knee. 

The one on the knee had a gauze and bandage.  This heal up fast. Now It's all dried scabs.  Today I can bathe without cover this wounds.

Wound1a.jpg.462d17d55f9afcfafd73d3a5b23c7876.jpg

The one on the shoulder has a transparent tape over a gauze. It's rather water proof. The wound is still wet and not a single scab form yet.

Wound2a.jpg.ed3c1ccb8ebfc8bf58cffe042227d299.jpg

I checked with the doctors, they say that keeping wounds moist is better for healing. But seems to me it is healing slower for the moist one. 

Wah, speedy recovery bro. And start running soon💪💪💪

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
5 hours ago, Ender said:

My shoulder is using opsite over a gauze. Wound is still wet after one week.

Compare to the knee which is just bandage over gauze, the knee is almost healed with scabs. I am not covering this knee wound anymore,

Don’t put the gauze directly on the wound, it will stick. 

Put a piece of Bactigras on the wound then put the gauze on top of it. Bactigras has antiseptic function to prevent infection and will ensure the gauze or any absorbent pad don’t stick on the wound.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 5

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Aloe111 said:

Yes after my surgery, doctors and nurses told me to keep the wound dry. I had waterproof dressing, and when I bathe, I cut open plastic bags and paste over. 

After an op I would put a new waterproof dressing over my wound each time before I showered, it seemed to me the right thing to do, i.e. keep the wound area dry.

When I next saw the surgeon he couldn't understand the slow healing. I explained putting on a waterproof dressing before each shower  to keep the wound dry.

He said I'd been cleaning my whole body with soap and water in the shower but the wound area had just been left dirty and was a breeding ground for bacteria.

He said I should just wash the wound area with soap and water same as the rest of my body

(edited)
59 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

After an op I would put a new waterproof dressing over my wound each time before I showered, it seemed to me the right thing to do, i.e. keep the wound area dry.

When I next saw the surgeon he couldn't understand the slow healing. I explained putting on a waterproof dressing before each shower  to keep the wound dry.

He said I'd been cleaning my whole body with soap and water in the shower but the wound area had just been left dirty and was a breeding ground for bacteria.

He said I should just wash the wound area with soap and water same as the rest of my body

When you changed your dressing, did you clean the wound/stiched area with chlorhexidine?

Edited by Aloe111

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Don’t put the gauze directly on the wound, it will stick. 

Put a piece of Bactigras on the wound then put the gauze on top of it. Bactigras has antiseptic function to prevent infection and will ensure the gauze or any absorbent pad don’t stick on the wound.

Hahaha, already put over liao.. Too late.. Will take note to get Bactigras on the next trip to the pharmacy.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Aloe111 said:

When you changed your dressing, did you clean the wound/stiched area with chlorhexidine?

"After an op ..."  sounds like you have had many?

I only used sodium chloride solution to clean my wound when I changed my dressing, coz that whats the staff at the pharmacy told us when we asked for cleaning agent for wound for changing dressing.

Edited by Ender

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Aloe111 said:

My face doctor, the one who stitch th two abrasion on my face, said that moist environment is better for healing. But he also said to keep the dressing 'dry' when I shower. 

I guess he meant is if the wound if it's kept moist from it's own discharged liquid is fine, but not water from outside the wound

• Praise 3

21 hours ago, Ender said:

Interesting can see how different dressing affect wound healing I have two similar size skin abrasions, one on the shoulder and the other on the left leg near the knee. 

The one on the knee had a gauze and bandage.  This heal up fast. Now It's all dried scabs.  Today I can bathe without cover this wounds.

The one on the shoulder has a transparent tape over a gauze. It's rather water proof. The wound is still wet and not a single scab form yet.

I checked with the doctors, they say that keeping wounds moist is better for healing. But seems to me it is healing slower for the moist one. 

wah seh, remindded me of my bad fall from cycling donkey years ago...

kenna knee, shoulder and palms...  doc also instructed me to use Opsite and it took so long to heal (always nua nua), in the end after a week with not much improvement, i decided to air the wounds whenever possible (the old method) so that it can dry up faster to form scabs and also applying the favourite 青草油...shiok ah

you can also try liquid bandage like 

https://shopee.sg/Kobayashi-Medi-shield-Liquid-Bandage-Plaster-10g-i.86678901.7832789982?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImsCi7bO36QIVkA4rCh3eLQ0_EAQYAiABEgKtP_D_BwE

or 3M Nexcare Hydrocolloid Dressings like

https://shopee.sg/3M-Nexcare-Hydrocolloid-Dressings--6-X-10Cm--2-S--Bundle-of-3--i.13735592.480749426?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp6W2prW36QIVmQVyCh01Sg5_EAkYEiABEgL___D_BwE

wish you speedy recovery! 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Gunzy said:

wah seh, remindded me of my bad fall from cycling donkey years ago...

kenna knee, shoulder and palms...  doc also instructed me to use Opsite and it took so long to heal (always nua nua), in the end after a week with not much improvement, i decided to air the wounds whenever possible (the old method) so that it can dry up faster to form scabs and also applying the favourite 青草油...shiok ah

you can also try liquid bandage like 

https://shopee.sg/Kobayashi-Medi-shield-Liquid-Bandage-Plaster-10g-i.86678901.7832789982?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImsCi7bO36QIVkA4rCh3eLQ0_EAQYAiABEgKtP_D_BwE

or 3M Nexcare Hydrocolloid Dressings like

https://shopee.sg/3M-Nexcare-Hydrocolloid-Dressings--6-X-10Cm--2-S--Bundle-of-3--i.13735592.480749426?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp6W2prW36QIVmQVyCh01Sg5_EAkYEiABEgL___D_BwE

wish you speedy recovery! 

Thanks.. The next changing of dressing i will try the Bactigras, recommended by @Fcw75

Ya, the non waterproof, more airy bandage on my knee is now fully harden with scabs. I have been showering without covering it a two days liao.

But the shoulder one, where I kept moist,  no scab formation.  I still have to cover it for showering.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Actually the best way for a wound to heal is to air it naturally but because we are afraid the wound will get infection that’s why need to cover it up. 

Bactigras is just something to prevent infection and to prevent the gauze swab from sticking to the wound. Non woven gauze swab is better, less chance of sticking.

Have been changing my mum’s wound on her leg over the years so more or less know a bit. 

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
On 5/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, Ender said:

Wound1a.jpg.462d17d55f9afcfafd73d3a5b23c7876.jpg

Wound2a.jpg.ed3c1ccb8ebfc8bf58cffe042227d299.jpg

less infection. less scarring also. Skin look nicer.

But usually i tell the guys, if u don't care, then just after it stops being wet, can leave it to airdry most of the time.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

less infection. less scarring also. Skin look nicer.

But usually i tell the guys, if u don't care, then just after it stops being wet, can leave it to airdry most of the time.

I  have to take pictures and compare the two sites after they heal.

No wonder my face doctor keep wanting my face dressing to be moist.. Only change dressing when having appt with  him, i.e kept the dressing on and moist for 5 days.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1