Exercising and losing weight

ODC

38 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

if you think in terms of calories consumption/expenditure, still makes sense as excess calories (from fats and carbs) consumed by sendentary people also converted to fats.

Then just calories in vs out strategy would suffice.

I find the most weight lost i had was just increase mileage on intensity when I was doing my marathon training last year. Garmin Training load was all time high. Also I had variation in intensity, which i felt impact on the weight loss, coz my body goes thru and probably well adapting various metabolic process.

↡ Advertisement

9 minutes ago, Ender said:

I find the most weight lost i had was just increase mileage on intensity when I was doing my marathon training last year. Garmin Training load was all time high. Also I had variation in intensity, which i felt impact on the weight loss, coz my body goes thru and probably well adapting various metabolic process.

simplicity is best....calorie deficit leads to weight loss and vice versa. Thats how I understand it. burn fats or carbs too cheem to me liao.

edit. anyway I think you have no much fats to burn also. hahaha

Edited by TangoCharlie
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Ender said:

6 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

simplicity is best....calorie deficit leads to weight loss and vice versa. Thats how I understand it. burn fats or carbs too cheem to me liao.

edit. anyway I think you have no much fats to burn also. hahaha

To add on. While I like calories in/out for its simplicity, it does not address the effect on body's hormonal system / metabolism.  For me, IF has more impact on weight loss than increase in mileage, unlike your experience.  Sedentary lifestyle can mess up one's body metabolism...so its not just simply calories.  

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

if you think in terms of calories consumption/expenditure, still makes sense as excess calories (from fats and carbs) consumed by sendentary people also converted to fats.

Still don't know why we need to train our body to burn fats via Keto or IF, if according to sport science, we are already in fat burning for low intensity activities, even at rest.  But Keto or IF says, our body prefer to burn glucose as the primary source therefore we need to train the body to adapt to fat burning mode.

Perhaps it's inconclusive. Most of Our calorie expenditure daily comes from the basic ones like breathing etc and it's unlikely from fat burning.

The body and brain has dynamic comms and highly adaptable as can seen from weight plateauing whatever diet/exercise we do.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:01 PM, TangoCharlie said:

On 8/13/2020 at 11:25 PM, Ender said:

Still don't know why we need to train our body to burn fats via Keto or IF, if according to sport science, we are already in fat burning for low intensity activities, even at rest.  But Keto or IF says, our body prefer to burn glucose as the primary source therefore we need to train the body to adapt to fat burning mode.

Calorie deficit and surplus is probably the easiest and best way to manage fat loss, and works for most people. I don't think it is necessary to go into Keto diet and all that fad, besides if people are into looks and image, keto dieting would probably make a person look sunken and haggard (my opinion); unless they replenish their carbs.

To understand fat burn vs carb burn we need to understand the body's energy systems - https://pureperformancetraining.com/energysystems/

• Praise 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, Tianmo said:

something interesting on using fat as energy vs using carbs as energy. 

And those long distance runners, can consider drinking coffee before, and during your race....

Mayb all those elite runners had coffee in their personal water bottles....[:p][laugh][laugh]

On 8/13/2020 at 1:38 PM, Ender said:

I find it confusing that the lower intensity, the greater proportion of fats is burning, though at lower calories too.  And would that means for every sedentary people, they are burning alot more fats than carbs, since they hardly go above zone 1 in most days? And yet from diet philosophy like keto or IF, we were told our body would prefer to burn sugar leaving the fats untouched , and therefore thru keto or IF, we are 'retraining' our body to adapt to ketosis to burn fats.  

Wow 12km/h for the woman, 14km/h for the man.... 

My best speed of 10km was 11.5km/h... If I run now probably 9km/h max 

75% max should be 7km/h. 🤣

3 hours ago, Roborovskii said:

Calorie deficit and surplus is probably the easiest and best way to manage fat loss, and works for most people. I don't think it is necessary to go into Keto diet and all that fad, besides if people are into looks and image, keto dieting would probably make a person look sunken and haggard (my opinion); unless they replenish their carbs.

To understand fat burn vs carb burn we need to understand the body's energy systems - https://pureperformancetraining.com/energysystems/

Whatever works for you, go for it.

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

12:35 sounds more like 2.4k timing for most rather than 5k distance. He is still young in early 20s. Most 5k world record holders achieve this during their early 20s. 

Longer distance like FM most peak at early to mid 30s for elite runner.

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, Staff69 said:

Burned off the lunch earlier, 

Realised that running really help me de-stress

20200816_151802.thumb.jpg.208bdd7cb09fcc94bed3638c31ec8773.jpg

Destress from nagging wife or crying baby?

• Haha! 3

@TangoCharlie As I personally found out, active recovery works for Achilles Tendon problems. Complete rest doesn't work at all. Video recommend some eccentric exercises to built back the tensile strength. But my method of recovery was just running in 8mm to 10mm heel drop exclusively from low mileage slowly increase in  mileage for months. Only later then I have confidence to add in zero drop aqua skin shoes into shoes rotation to increase further strengthening of the tendon.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Ender said:

@TangoCharlie As I personally found out, active recovery works for Achilles Tendon problems. Complete rest doesn't work at all. Video recommend some eccentric exercises to built back the tensile strength. But my method of recovery was just running in 8mm to 10mm heel drop exclusively from low mileage slowly increase in  mileage for months. Only later then I have confidence to add in zero drop aqua skin shoes into shoes rotation to increase further strengthening of the tendon.

in those 80s wuxia movies/dramas, the master will 废了 his/her disciple's 武功 with a few flicks of the sword over the legs and arms. Basically, the master is cutting the tendons of the ankles, knees and arms so that the disciple becomes an invalid. Very 毒。

• Haha! 2

10 hours ago, Ender said:

Thanks bro. My tendon did not heal fully I feel but it's not a problem running nowadays with shoe rotation as you suggested. Will ease into skin shoes slowly again. May be good for me to work on the tensile strength.

At it's worst some years back, the tendons felt rubbing against each other when I flex my ankle. Very painful....worse than the plantar fasciitis. Now I can feel a bump when I run my finger along the tendon.😅

↡ Advertisement