Exercising and losing weight

ODC

12 minutes ago, Ender said:

Didn't know hdl got upper limit to control. I thought as high as possible is good.

if u have high HDL, u likely to have high total cholesterol. So high total cholesterol is the main risk factor index correlated to the risk factor calculators for assessing heart disease.
So there are limitations overall. Whether does that work for healthy individuals, and the interplay between HDL vs LDL vs Total cholesterol for someone say on Keto diet etc, does it really apply? I'm not sure.

It's just like measuring plaque burden on someone who's a hardcore runner. The measurements may not be relevant in measuring the person's risk.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

My cardio also told me exercise is a very good way to achieve high HDL, although diet also plays an important part. 

Once you have a consistent exercise regime, the increase in HDL is very noticeable. I mean the increase is significant from last reading. At least for my case.

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

hmm no lah. If you have ischemic heart disease, lowering it to below 2.6 is shown to improve recurrence of heart disease. If you have no heart disease, the evidence is not strong. 

If have ischemic heart disease, LDL must be at least 1.8 then consider good.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

If have ischemic heart disease, LDL must be at least 1.8 then consider good.

Yes years ago, they were talking about <2.1
Then studies came out say got benefit when u push to below 1.8.
When u are taking statins to do that, there's improvement in your risk of recurrent heart attacks/death from above causes and short term mortality 6-7 years. Certainly there is data to support this aggressive lowering of LDL in these patients. 

But when u are talking about Low LDLs in the general population that is not taking medicines, there is a korean observational study that suggest those with lower LDL, below the usual 3.1-3.6 reference range, the higher the mortality, risk of cardiovascular events and cancer. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

When u are taking statins to do that, there's improvement in your risk of recurrent heart attacks/death from above causes and short term mortality 6-7 years. Certainly there is data to support this aggressive lowering of LDL in these patients. 

But when u are talking about Low LDLs in the general population that is not taking medicines, there is a korean observational study that suggest those with lower LDL, below the usual 3.1-3.6 reference range, the higher the mortality, risk of cardiovascular events and cancer. 

Now then i know for a person who is not taking statins or have ischemic heart disease, if LDL gets too low, the higher the mortality, risk of cardiovascular events and cancer?! 

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Now then i know for a person who is not taking statins or have ischemic heart disease, if LDL gets too low, the higher the mortality, risk of cardiovascular events and cancer?! 

Yes. Well when u take one number and try to assess a person by it. This number is never going to encompass the whole health of a person. Its far too simplistic to assume that. 

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Trying to maintain at least 4 days jogging/cycling

wah ... so on the ball

👍💪

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Yes. Well when u take one number and try to assess a person by it. This number is never going to encompass the whole health of a person. Its far too simplistic to assume that. 

True. Cannot just look at a number to conclude a person health. Lol.

On 12/27/2010 at 4:17 PM, ODC said:

As a professional in this field this thread is for those looking to enhance their health the right way.

Wonder what happened to the OP. Stopped posting in 2011.

41 minutes ago, 13177 said:

True. Cannot just look at a number to conclude a person health. Lol.

Please tell that to ppl who always looking at BMI.[shakehead] Especially SAF.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

8 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Looks like LDL numbers are not straight forward to interpret. Have to see the context. Whether they are general population sedentary vs those who exercise vs those with heart condition.

• Praise 3

5 hours ago, Adrianli said:

I think  looking at BMI is the first step for those who are obese. It's a metric that you can monitor daily, and positive/negative trend can be observed in a couple of weeks. No need to wait for six month to a year for blood screen  to see if what you are doing is going in the positive trend.

12 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Haha if you have high bmi but can pass the fitness test should be OK. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Haha if you have high bmi but can pass the fitness test should be OK. Lol. 

Yah lo, high BMI doesnt mean not fit hor. I seen people in NS, they look ''fat'' but they can passed their IPPT lo. Lol.

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Yah lo, high BMI doesnt mean not fit hor. I seen people in NS, they look ''fat'' but they can passed their IPPT lo. Lol.

We have one 165Kg runner who ran 10k in 45 minutes... agreed high BMI does not mean unfit. dont pray pray 😨

• Haha! 7