ODC

wah jialat...i 170kg liao

😰😅

Nearly one-third of Singaporeans gained weight during Covid-19 pandemic: Survey

The average increase in weight of those surveyed is around 5kg. PHOTO: ST FILE

Ang Qing
PUBLISHED22 MIN AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTER
SINGAPORE - Covid-19 has been a weighty affair in more ways than one, with almost one-third of Singaporeans saying they have piled on the kilos during the pandemic, at an average increase of around 5kg.

And while many would point their fingers at how lifestyles have become more sedentary with many working from home, four in 10 reported that they are exercising more often.

These are among the findings from an online study by marketing research company Ipsos, which looked at how health choices have changed during the pandemic.

A total of 500 respondents, aged between 21 and 74, were interviewed between Oct 23 and Nov 6.

More than half of those surveyed also said they were trying to lose weight but a majority of these - more than 70 per cent - added that this was unrelated to gaining weight during the pandemic.

More exercise was the most popular way to slim down, followed by reducing one's food intake and eating healthily without dieting.

However, these Singaporeans were least willing to give up meat and alcohol to lose weight.

Only 10 per cent said that they could abstain from meat and alcohol, while 65 per cent of them could cut down or forgo sugar.

Cheaper healthy food topped the list of 12 possible initiatives that companies and governments could introduce to help people shed the kilos.

The proposal was significantly ahead of others, with nearly half of the respondents opting for it.

This was followed by around 20 per cent hoping to see more green public spaces available for exercise and 15 per cent wishing for healthier ingredients in processed foods.

"When it comes to food, eating out is a common practice for Singaporeans... But healthy options with lower sugar, lower carbohydrates and less processed foods are still limited within a more affordable price range," said Ms Melanie Ng, director of public affairs at Ipsos in Singapore.

"Having access to cheaper healthy foods is likely to make most impact to Singaporeans trying to achieve their health goals."

↡ Advertisement

10 minutes ago, Enye said:

😰😅

Ang Qing
PUBLISHED22 MIN AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTER
SINGAPORE - Covid-19 has been a weighty affair in more ways than one, with almost one-third of Singaporeans saying they have piled on the kilos during the pandemic, at an average increase of around 5kg.

And while many would point their fingers at how lifestyles have become more sedentary with many working from home, four in 10 reported that they are exercising more often.

These are among the findings from an online study by marketing research company Ipsos, which looked at how health choices have changed during the pandemic.

A total of 500 respondents, aged between 21 and 74, were interviewed between Oct 23 and Nov 6.

More than half of those surveyed also said they were trying to lose weight but a majority of these - more than 70 per cent - added that this was unrelated to gaining weight during the pandemic.

More exercise was the most popular way to slim down, followed by reducing one's food intake and eating healthily without dieting.

However, these Singaporeans were least willing to give up meat and alcohol to lose weight.

Only 10 per cent said that they could abstain from meat and alcohol, while 65 per cent of them could cut down or forgo sugar.

Cheaper healthy food topped the list of 12 possible initiatives that companies and governments could introduce to help people shed the kilos.

The proposal was significantly ahead of others, with nearly half of the respondents opting for it.

This was followed by around 20 per cent hoping to see more green public spaces available for exercise and 15 per cent wishing for healthier ingredients in processed foods.

"When it comes to food, eating out is a common practice for Singaporeans... But healthy options with lower sugar, lower carbohydrates and less processed foods are still limited within a more affordable price range," said Ms Melanie Ng, director of public affairs at Ipsos in Singapore.

"Having access to cheaper healthy foods is likely to make most impact to Singaporeans trying to achieve their health goals."

This is correct, everyone i know gain weight during this covid period.

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

170kgs?? And to think I’m 87 is bad already for me. Bro not 170lbs Bah? 

7 minutes ago, Mazdaowner said:

170kgs?? And to think I’m 87 is bad already for me. Bro not 170lbs Bah? 

he's "170kg" but can zao sibei gkin one... [laugh]

• Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Enye said:

😰😅

Ang Qing
PUBLISHED22 MIN AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTER

No choice, I got too much maggi mee and can food from the panic buy. Binging still ongoing.

• Haha! 3

4 hours ago, 13177 said:

I actually lost weight when most eating places were closed (and got to eat lousy home cooked food by you-know-who) and exercised more since nothing else to do....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

I actually lost weight when most eating places were closed (and got to eat lousy home cooked food by you-know-who) and exercised more since nothing else to do....

Actually many eating places still opened la, only thing you cannot dine in during that period.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:11 AM, Enye said:

wah...yesterday quite happening midway through my run between 12-13km mark at pcn

met an old uncle maybe late 50s to early 60s up for a friendly sprint towards his end point

damn fast...i reckon his last 500m, the pace was 4min/km thereabouts

he won...i went on my way

😅

oh! when i was out on the run at the pcn that day i saw one ah bui try to overtake me. He is coming fast and furious. so i chiong all the way and give all the last fuel bit of energy i have in me. Luckily he didnt manage to overtake me. If not i dont know where i can hide and bury my face if i was outrun by a 165kg going to 170kg fella.

Did you remember? i am the old unker with very hanshum face 😁

• Haha! 6

14 minutes ago, Giordanogavin said:

oh! when i was out on the run at the pcn that day i saw one ah bui try to overtake me. He is coming fast and furious. so i chiong all the way and give all the last fuel bit of energy i have in me. Luckily he didnt manage to overtake me. If not i dont know where i can hide and bury my face if i was outrun by a 165kg going to 170kg fella.

Loose liow wear mask lor. :D 

1 hour ago, Giordanogavin said:

the event didn’t turn out as you described so i know it’s not you

🤣

• Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Ender said:

3:41 min/km pace for 100km, no stopping, no rest and a bleeding shoulder.

Crazy pace! Seems like no Africans doing ultra? 

Edited by TangoCharlie

On 1/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, TangoCharlie said:

Crazy pace! Seems like no Africans doing ultra? 

Ya, I can't even do that pace for 100m... This guy average this pace for 100km.

He missed the world record by 11 seconds. The record holder is a Japanese guy. 

A steady weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week is recommended for the most effective long-term weight management. Cut back on refined carbs, eat protein, fat, and vegetables and exercise.

Team Strong Silver.This botak unker from injury, paralyze on the left side due to suppressed nerve. Now super fit.. His thinking about old age, I like. Old doesn't mean need to restrict physical activities to minimum..

• Praise 3

On 1/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, Mason016 said:

For Sunnto owners, Sunnto giving loyalty discount of straight 30%. Those of you thinking of changing can consider:

https://www.suunto.com/en-sg/Content-pages/suuntos-digital-services/loyalty-offer/

Applicable to owner of:

Spartan,
Ambit,
Ambit2,
Ambit3,
or Traverse

It is to move all existing owners out of Movecount.com.

I am waiting for Suunto to offer me a free watch.

I intend to jump ship to Coros.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1