Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Hypersonic
30 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I have been riding using my phone as cyclometer. It’s still accurate.

I am riding with Wahoo app.

I think there are good phones. Maybe like iphone I guess.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
48 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

do you find the distance measured off google map accurate when compared to your running watches?

Never use google map to measure, I used mapometer and mapmyrun to compare before. Pretty satisfied, within 200m .   But there are bad days , got around 500m.. Maybe cloudy day.  Worst is running thru CBD, during the SCSM, Record 43.8km, that's more than 1km. Many tall buildings really affects the accuracy.

Turbocharged
46 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

For Charge 4, I think it relies on your phone to get accurate GPS reading.

Need both Charge 4 + phone to work properly.

The charge 4 has built-in gps. I use it independently of phone and only sync if i want to download the data to the app. Fitbit is owned by google so i was expecting good accuracy.

My only reliable reference for my own fitness is 2.4km timing, so thats why it needs to be accurate.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
6 minutes ago, Karoon said:

The charge 4 has built-in gps. I use it independently of phone and only sync if i want to download the data to the app. Fitbit is owned by google so i was expecting good accuracy.

My only reliable reference for my own fitness is 2.4km timing, so thats why it needs to be accurate.

You want accurate 2.4km , have to run the stadium track, 6 rounds on the inner most lane. I won't use gps to time trial my pace.

1 hour ago, Karoon said:

How does it looks like on Map?
To check its accuracy, run 1 round in the inner circle of stadium.

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Ender said:

You want accurate 2.4km , have to run the stadium track, 6 rounds on the inner most lane. I won't use gps to time trial my pace.

True but my place too far from stadiums 

Nowadays, a lot of these watch got GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, QZSS and even Beidou.

Accuracy should be high except when it is used in China.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, awhtc said:

I have been swimming ~ 2 km for about 1 hour almost every night for a few months.

However, while the rest of the body's muscles are toned, it is quite hard to lose that little tummy 😂 I'm cutting down to 2 meals a day recently and the effect on the tummy is more pronounced.

I conclude that for keeping slim, exercise constitutes only 20-30% while food intake is 70-80% of the outcome.

2km per hour may be too relaxed a pace. Swimming is a bit like cycling - you can glide and don't expense much energy between strokes. Try alternating with other exercises. 

But tummy bui bak is indeed very hard to get rid. Especially the love handles.

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Nowadays, a lot of these watch got GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, QZSS and even Beidou.

Accuracy should be high except when it is used in China.

I read many factors, one is the GPS chipset. Recently all new GPS watches uses the Sony chipset, which saves battery life, but compromise on accuracy. That's why alot of Garmin 4th gen  series watch suffers some form of GPS accuracy, also the Polar Vantage V and M.  And apparently firmware code improvement also can improve GPS accuracy, since your position is not precise due to many environment factors, the algorithm in the firmware can improve the accuracy. Like why vehicle travelling on the roads seems to be rather accurate, it's because of the algorithm which snapped your position on the road. So even phone GPS seems to be accurate when using as a car navigator. But running, not so.

Coros Pace 2 seems to overcome this weakness of the sony GPS.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Ender said:

I read many factors, one is the GPS chipset. Recently all new GPS watches uses the Sony chipset, which saves battery life, but compromise on accuracy. That's why alot of Garmin 4th gen  series watch suffers some form of GPS accuracy, also the Polar Vantage V and M.  And apparently firmware code improvement also can improve GPS accuracy, since your position is not precise due to many environment factors, the algorithm in the firmware can improve the accuracy. Like why vehicle travelling on the roads seems to be rather accurate, it's because of the algorithm which snapped your position on the road. So even phone GPS seems to be accurate when using as a car navigator. But running, not so.

Coros Pace 2 seems to overcome this weakness of the sony GPS.

I am still using Suunto Ambit2 which uses early version of Sony GPS chipset.

From Strava map, it looks accurate.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

retired my old anyhow buy cheapo reeboks which i used > 2300 km mileage.  soles were pretty worn down and can see some signs of underpronation.

new anyhow buy cheapo pumas (buy because i wanted to run as fast as a puma 🤣) still running in and gave me blisters 🙄 but overall felt less leg fatigue on my regular route due to the better cushioning.  see how long this pair can last 😅

no improvement in pace with new shoes though.  in fact performance probably plateaued and starting to decline liao ... won’t be faster no matter what i do as age catches up.  

不认老都不行

😬😅

D510398C-F259-4E0E-8241-5456BEE5CEC6.jpeg

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Ender said:

Jin dui. Broke a 5 year old record only to be broken by another runner 2 days later.

Any idea what shoes they wear? For a long held record to be broken in quick succession...I wonder if the footwear plays a part. Kudos to these inspiring athletes nevertheless.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
Just now, TangoCharlie said:

Any idea what shoes they wear? For a long held record to be broken in quick succession...I wonder if the footwear plays a part. Kudos to these inspiring athletes nevertheless.

Definitely, the carbon plate shoes are game changers since it was approved.

• Praise 2

18 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

2km per hour may be too relaxed a pace. Swimming is a bit like cycling - you can glide and don't expense much energy between strokes. Try alternating with other exercises. 

But tummy bui bak is indeed very hard to get rid. Especially the love handles.

I'm struggling to have this kind of pace..haha. to do it almost every night is impossible for me.

I thot it's quite respectable....1.5km in 45 mins qualifies you for triathlon, iirc.

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Ender said:

Jin dui. Broke a 5 year old record only to be broken by another runner 2 days later.

Gidey is the latest talent that came out of Ethiopia.

With pace light, it easier (that before) to break WR.

5sec is no easy feat.

We hear more of her name in coming years.

13 hours ago, Enye said:

retired my old anyhow buy cheapo reeboks which i used > 2300 km mileage.  soles were pretty worn down and can see some signs of underpronation.

new anyhow buy cheapo pumas (buy because i wanted to run as fast as a puma 🤣) still running in and gave me blisters 🙄 but overall felt less leg fatigue on my regular route due to the better cushioning.  see how long this pair can last 😅

no improvement in pace with new shoes though.  in fact performance probably plateaued and starting to decline liao ... won’t be faster no matter what i do as age catches up.  

不认老都不行

😬😅

D510398C-F259-4E0E-8241-5456BEE5CEC6.jpeg

That's a very fast pace! 💪

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1