Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Supersonic
19 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

2km per hour may be too relaxed a pace. Swimming is a bit like cycling - you can glide and don't expense much energy between strokes. Try alternating with other exercises. 

But tummy bui bak is indeed very hard to get rid. Especially the love handles.

52 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

I'm struggling to have this kind of pace..haha. to do it almost every night is impossible for me.

I thot it's quite respectable....1.5km in 45 mins qualifies you for triathlon, iirc.

You can try interval training, alternate freestyle fast and breaststroke slow

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

The commentator mentioned her fatigued face towards the last of her 10km. I thought she looks less fatigued than me just starting out on my first 100m. 😂

30 minutes ago, Loki said:

You can try interval training, alternate freestyle fast and breaststroke slow

Thanks for the tip! I'm self taught...so I'm happy enough not to pant after a lap.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

hi,

When you are losing weight, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy or “burns off.” The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a “calorie deficit” that results in weight loss.

JANUMET XR

On 6/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, awhtc said:

I have been swimming ~ 2 km for about 1 hour almost every night for a few months.

However, while the rest of the body's muscles are toned, it is quite hard to lose that little tummy 😂 I'm cutting down to 2 meals a day recently and the effect on the tummy is more pronounced.

I conclude that for keeping slim, exercise constitutes only 20-30% while food intake is 70-80% of the outcome.

Actually its true.... 

I skipped breakfast have early lunch then dinner for last few weeks.... Lost around 2kg...

Hopefully not water only. 😅

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
21 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Lol. Interesting. 

BBC News - Motor neurone disease: Intense exercise increases risk, say scientists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57431412

Their definition of intense, ie, 3 times x 15 to 30 min per week, is actually not intense at all. I am sure all of us here exceed these numbers by maybe at least 2x.

What wasn't clear is what are the defective genes that make some people more susceptible to this condition. 

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Their definition of intense, ie, 3 times x 15 to 30 min per week, is actually not intense at all. I am sure all of us here exceed these numbers by maybe at least 2x.

What wasn't clear is what are the defective genes that make some people more susceptible to this condition. 

I think the association is there once past that defined threshold. High performance athletes maybe up to 6 times more likely to have motor neuron disease.

Hypersonic
31 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Ya, pretty low bar for intense. Seems like alot of healthy conscious fellows will be at risk, if their genes match up with the study.

But at our age above 50, those with mobility issues are usually the ones with weak cardiovascular health and weak muscles and bones rather than motor neurone issues.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Ran passed Sk stadium just now. Saw workers removing the plastics wrapped around the fitness corner. Think tomorrow can use liao.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

The 2 fitness corners along the pcn near my place were not cordoned off this CB. Your side a bit special. 

Hypersonic
(edited)

Just got notice from my daughter's tuition class that they will resume on site from 29th June following the phase 3 HA. I don't know if I want to get take the risk yet.

Edited by Ender

Supersonic
27 minutes ago, Ender said:

Just got notice from my daughter's tuition class that they will resume on site from 29th June following the phase 3 HA. I don't know if I want to get take the risk yet.

You see by 29 jun, how is the situation then decide lo. Now really hard to say, the community cases can be good and can be suddenly bad.

• Praise 2

On 6/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, Lala81 said:

I think the association is there once past that defined threshold. High performance athletes maybe up to 6 times more likely to have motor neuron disease.

Christian just collapsed two days ago on the field. 🤔

(edited)
10 hours ago, Ender said:

Yes.

My son piano (1 to 1) resuming this week. Ballet (class of 10 ...I think) in July still awaiting details from the teacher though.

Seem like everyone can't wait to resume normality.

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement