Exercising and losing weight

ODC

On 7/30/2021 at 2:07 PM, Ender said:

Last nite slow run had negative imact on my shin, start to sore after I am resting at home.  I think cannot run consecutively days for the recovery. I will try alternate days..

The only time I have shin pain was during OCS with all the daily 5BX + runs... 

It's really painful and I felt its more painful than muscle aches... 

Even when I run regularly few years ago with average 30km a week (3 times, 5, 10, >15km) 

Also don't get that kind of shin pain. 

Maybe lots of walking, marching and running on a daily basis back then. 😅

Maybe you should swim, run and bike🤣

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 3

Cross training to avoid chronic/overuse injury. Run, cycle, swim.

About 5mths ago, i torn my left knee meniscus during a jumping plyometric exercise. When i visited orthopaedic doctor advice to go for surgery and i also get 2nd opinion from other ortho doctor saying the same thing. At that time i was at lowest point of my life. Questioning myself whether will i be able to run again. As for regular runner is very hard to stop no matter what.  I decided to opt for conservative treatment by going through strengthening exercises and doing PT. afterward i progressed to doing brisk walking and gradually at 4-5 months start to do slow jog.

When i visited the PT recently, my injured leg was tested using leg extension, leg curl and leg press and now have the same strength as my good knee. I also visited a sport doctor and was tested with single leg squat (half squat), single leg hop. I was given a go ahead to continue my running exercises. I change my running style to run with smaller step to reduce impact on the knee. Right now i will do easy run 3x per week. Non running day i will cycle. so far have been pain free. I can feel that the leg is getting stronger each week and i am heading in the right directions. I would probably unable to run a marathon or clock a PB anytime soon. But just able to go out side to do easy run/jog give me joy.

• Praise 8

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Loki said:

My workout log for July, almost 10k calories expended

Screenshot_20210801-203139_Xiaomi Wear.jpg

Your workouts are mostly gym sessions? Since your distance moved is only 6km in 31 days. 

3 hours ago, Atonchia said:

The only time I have shin pain was during OCS with all the daily 5BX + runs... 

It's really painful and I felt its more painful than muscle aches... 

Even when I run regularly few years ago with average 30km a week (3 times, 5, 10, >15km) 

Also don't get that kind of shin pain. 

Maybe lots of walking, marching and running on a daily basis back then. 😅

Maybe you should swim, run and bike🤣

Despite the name having the word shin, posterior shin splint is actually more of a muscle injury due to over training.  For my case I believe I am running at too fast pace for too often, without adequate recovery days in between.  My easy days aren't easy enough, because Garmin coach Plan overestimate my durabilibity and I was too rigid to deviate from the plan.

Too fast, Too soon, Too Far, all checked for recipe for injury.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Supersonic
12 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Your workouts are mostly gym sessions? Since your distance moved is only 6km in 31 days. 

Yup, weight training and swimming.  I can't run for nuts

Edited by Loki
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Ender said:

Despite the name having the word shin, posterior shin splint is actually more of a muscle injury due to over training.  For my case I believe I am running at too fast pace for too often, without adequate recovery days in between.  My easy days aren't easy enough, because Garmin coach Plan overestimate my durabilibity and I was too rigid to deviate from the plan.

I see, so it's actually like a muscle tear.... 

The piercing pain flet like it's right on edge of shin. 

10 hours ago, Ender said:

I think this shows the fallibility of these online or virtual training plans. 

I guess for you, it's more for experimentation since u been running consistently for many years. 

It's like running virtual simulation. OK maybe it works 80% of the time ideally. 20% won't work. But they never care whether the 15% drop out cos unwilling/unable. Or what's the chance of u getting a major injury. 

If you really have shin splints, it's a minimum of  4-6 months no high impact acivity to recover. If you are young, maybe 4 months... 

• Shocked 1

52 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I guess for you, it's more for experimentation since u been running consistently for many years. 

It's like running virtual simulation. OK maybe it works 80% of the time ideally. 20% won't work. But they never care whether the 15% drop out cos unwilling/unable. Or what's the chance of u getting a major injury. 

If you really have shin splints, it's a minimum of  4-6 months no high impact acivity to recover. If you are young, maybe 4 months... 

I believe it is his issue😄

I intro him to train using TrainAsONE.

He is getting faster and faster training plan.

On the other hand, my training plan was consistently same pace.

The website has an AI machine.

If consistently faster than given plan, it will adjust faster.

• Praise 3

15 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Well, a human can also give u an unrealistic  training plan. But if a plan is just on times, heart rate, peak power etc they are all just some parameters. 

It doesn't know your injury tendencies, your running gait or mechanics. 

These plans are designed with survivorship bias. For someone who's so serious about endurance training, u are already talking about a few percent of people who exercise recreationally. These people are already genetically/born to have less injuries. 

It doesn't matter if there's AI involved. Cos the AI doesn't recognise the inherent bias in the data set. 

If you are someone who tend to run yourself into self inflicted injury, need to 收检自己. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged
20 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Does the app ask for age input when you first sign up? And also ask for the runner's goal, be it to be faster or maintain current level of pace/distance etc? If not, it will "logically" scale up the intensity/distance/pace when the person passes a certain mark. Most users will not want to remain with a stagnant time despite intense training. 

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Does the app ask for age input when you first sign up? And also ask for the runner's goal, be it to be faster or maintain current level of pace/distance etc? If not, it will "logically" scale up the intensity/distance/pace when the person passes a certain mark. Most users will not want to remain with a stagnant time despite intense training. 

All the parameters you mentioned is included.

Including targeted goal.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

wah jia lat...kena scolded by doc

i kiasee injury thats why i follow the 随心随性 running method

😅

• Haha! 4

7 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah jia lat...kena scolded by doc

i kiasee injury thats why i follow the 随心随性 running method

😅

You 165kg also no injury. Scared what. Lol 金钢护体

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Right, the last time I had my shin splint was on the TrainasOne AI trainings plan. The injury is the same exact location. Again my durability wasn't taken into accounts it kept scaling up my training. Again I was too rigid to deviate from the plan then. I think I did complain the training was getting too tough here. Should have just paused the plan then.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Well, a human can also give u an unrealistic  training plan. But if a plan is just on times, heart rate, peak power etc they are all just some parameters. 

It doesn't know your injury tendencies, your running gait or mechanics. 

These plans are designed with survivorship bias. For someone who's so serious about endurance training, u are already talking about a few percent of people who exercise recreationally. These people are already genetically/born to have less injuries. 

It doesn't matter if there's AI involved. Cos the AI doesn't recognise the inherent bias in the data set. 

If you are someone who tend to run yourself into self inflicted injury, need to 收检自己. 

I am still learning my injury proneness despite running for so long. Bit by bit narrow down to pace limit vs distance limit.

1 hour ago, Kxbc said:

AI is limited by data. It gauge by benchmark test runs, which usually are short runs to see improvement. If yes, scale up. No data for injury proneness, which I think one should onwself exercise judgement, if like me, very rigid then kenna.

↡ Advertisement