Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Turbocharged

Read that 2 young persons died yesterday from Covid. I am not talking about their vacc status because vax and anti-vaxers can blow their steam off in the other covid threads.

It was reported that these 2 (age 23 and 34 only) have underlying medical conditions - though not stated what.

So young can have underlying medical conditions which usually are the 3 highs (cholesterol, BP, glucose level)? I know some people have high cholesterol due to genetics but his/her heart should still be strong enough, right? Some might also have inherited type 1 diabetes.

HBP and diabetes (type 2) are life style illnesses if I am not wrong.

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Read that 2 young persons died yesterday from Covid. I am not talking about their vacc status because vax and anti-vaxers can blow their steam off in the other covid threads.

It was reported that these 2 (age 23 and 34 only) have underlying medical conditions - though not stated what.

So young can have underlying medical conditions which usually are the 3 highs (cholesterol, BP, glucose level)? I know some people have high cholesterol due to genetics but his/her heart should still be strong enough, right? Some might also have inherited type 1 diabetes.

can be anything. maybe they are immunocompromised from autoimmune disease treatment, cancer treatment. 
maybe they are morbid obesity since young with asthma etc.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32945846/

Among 5416 adults, hospitalization rates (all reported as aRR [95% confidence interval]) were higher among those with ≥3 underlying conditions (vs without) (5.0 [3.9-6.3]), severe obesity (4.4 [3.4-5.7]), chronic kidney disease (4.0 [3.0-5.2]), diabetes (3.2 [2.5-4.1]), obesity (2.9 [2.3-3.5]), hypertension (2.8 [2.3-3.4]), and asthma (1.4 [1.1-1.7]), after adjusting for age, sex, and race/ethnicity. Adjusting for the presence of an individual underlying medical condition, higher hospitalization rates were observed for adults aged ≥65 or 45-64 years (vs 18-44 years), males (vs females), and non-Hispanic black and other race/ethnicities (vs non-Hispanic whites).

• Praise 3

22 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

I think cholesterol not straight forward to interpret. Last night i was watching a youtube discussion between two doctors on this topic. It's was along video, I watched halfway before i went to bed. Will share it here once I finished. Something like LDL bigger fluffy ones are ok as oppose to smaller ones. Then also significant numbers of heart disease don't have high cholesterol. Diabetes has higher risk for heart disease. 

Anyway my total cholesterol last measured 5 years ago was high at 23x. That was when I was still running. 

• Shocked 1

Turbocharged
14 minutes ago, Ender said:

I think cholesterol not straight forward to interpret. Last night i was watching a youtube discussion between two doctors on this topic. It's was along video, I watched halfway before i went to bed. Will share it here once I finished. Something like LDL bigger fluffy ones are ok as oppose to smaller ones. Then also significant numbers of heart disease don't have high cholesterol. Diabetes has higher risk for heart disease. 

Anyway my total cholesterol last measured 5 years ago was high at 23x. That was when I was still running. 

Yes, read many years ago about Big Fluffy LDL (not or less harmful) and Small Dense LDL (harmful) which together make up the LDL score. But our normal cholesterol test does not break down LDL into these 2 readings.

Mine was done earlier this yr in Feb.

Total score 190, HDL 62, LDL 118, Tri 53. Both LDL and Tri went up compared to Dec 19 which I suspect was a result of once/twice a month pork belly BBQ with lettuce Korean style at home for a few months. 🤣

I have since cut down on the pork belly dinner.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 2

26 minutes ago, Ender said:

those with some genetic tendency usually higher. 240 onwards. And usually even above 280 +

my last lipids/glucose check was in 2019. 

Edited by Lala81

30 minutes ago, Ender said:

I have similar level too...I took a reading about 10 years apart. No change at all. Think exercise (which I do) and diet ( which I don't)  do not affect the level much.

I realize the hdl + ldl < total cholesterol. What account for the remaining?

Edited by TangoCharlie

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

I have similar level too...I took a reading about 10 years apart. No change at all. Think exercise (which I do) and diet ( which I don't)  do not affect the level much.

I realize the hdl + ldl < total cholesterol. What account for the remaining?

Total = HDL + LDL + 20% x Tri

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, Ender said:

I read somewhere that having heart disease doesnt equal to high cholesterol, having high cholesterol doesnt equal to having heart disease. Some people who diagnose to have heart disease/CAD, they may not have high cholesterol, and having a high cholesterol reading, they might not have CAD.

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, 13177 said:

I read somewhere that having heart disease doesnt equal to high cholesterol, having high cholesterol doesnt equal to having heart disease. Some people who diagnose to have heart disease/CAD, they may not have high cholesterol, and having a high cholesterol reading, they might not have CAD.

But I thought high LDL will lead to excessive plaque formation in the arteries and if sway, blood flow will be so reduced till need stent or bypass. So higher LDL = higher chance of plaque formation = higher chance of heart issues.

I learnt it from Cells at Work Code Black. 😁

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

2 hours ago, Kxbc said:

But I thought high LDL will lead to excessive plaque formation in the arteries and if sway, blood flow will be so reduced till need stent or bypass. So higher LDL = higher chance of plaque formation = higher chance of heart issues.

I learnt it from Cells at Work Code Black. 😁

Cholesterol definitely is a factor, but not the only factor. There are other more influential factors. Like metabolic disease like diabetes, sedentary lifestyle leading to fraility, which I think contributing to those with low cholesterol with heart disease.

• Praise 1

The heat Is making the runs quite punishing even though the pace is not fast. 

Definitely no enjoyment this week. All discipline. Heh heh chuan... 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Coe kee

petrol kee

electricity kee

covid kee

blood pressure kee

cholesterol kee

diabetes kee

Gst ai kee Liao 

Long Zhong kee kah Liao!!!! 

Wah ai kee siao Liao!!!! [grin]

B4DD5C4F-02D7-4F1E-90AB-24EE818E8CDA.gif

714DAFBD-C4E9-47D1-928E-F29B1BF908CD.jpeg

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

The heat Is making the runs quite punishing even though the pace is not fast. 

Definitely no enjoyment this week. All discipline. Heh heh chuan... 

My runs these days are shorter than usual. But make up by running everyday. So weekly mileage still about the same.

• Praise 4

This morning, the weather was rather strange.

I cycled to Sentosa Cove Marina. The sunrise so beautiful that I stopped to take photo.
On my way out of Sentosa, dark cloud looming.

When I reached Vivo, there was strong headwind till I get home.

When I reached home, no RAIN.

• Haha! 3

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

This morning, the weather was rather strange.

I cycled to Sentosa Cove Marina. The sunrise so beautiful that I stopped to take photo.
On my way out of Sentosa, dark cloud looming.

When I reached Vivo, there was strong headwind till I get home.

When I reached home, no RAIN.

Means 有惊无险 :grin:

• Haha! 2

So sad. Don't know why Singapore has so many cases of women getting lung cancer, even though they don't smoke.

I suspect could be the foundation and make they wear on their face. Imagine they have to breath in those smells from the make up, especially those in powder form. J & J baby powder also known to cause cancer.

https://sg.news/she-hoped-to-bring-them-luck-lottery-tickets-given-out-at-funeral-party-of-38-year-old-woman-who-died-of-lung-cancer/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1