Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Turbocharged

agree with @inlinesix. You can take this "downtime" to improve on other aspects you had not focused on, say flexibility and balance. These are also very important things we need to work on as we age. Actually, I think they are even more important than cardio and stamina.

Flexibility and balance sessions don't need much pumping heart. Flexibility sessions are just painful for me. 🤣 Balance sessions require lots of concentration and muscle control.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Kxbc said:

agree with @inlinesix. You can take this "downtime" to improve on other aspects you had not focused on, say flexibility and balance. These are also very important things we need to work on as we age. Actually, I think they are even more important than cardio and stamina.

Flexibility and balance sessions don't need much pumping heart. Flexibility sessions are just painful for me. 🤣 Balance sessions require lots of concentration and muscle control.

Ya, not much flexibility for me..   I am trying one of the very basic kneeovertoeguy's stuff. Right now just ATG split squat.  

2 hours ago, Ender said:

Tested running last night. Still cannot run..

Take it easy first and gradually.

When i injured and cant run I started with brisk walking, take it easy and slow down. Prior to my injury all i care is my pace, mileage and give 100% on all my run. As i slow down i start to noticing things around me. The usual people who exercises in the same park. One man caught my attention as every day i can see him doing brisk walking but with a limp. i chatted up with him as initially i though he injured his leg thus limping. He actually suffered stroke in the brain a few years ago. He is only in his mid to late 50s. He almost lost function of the other half of his body. Eventually he recovered amid walk with a leg limping (the other side of body effect of the stroke). Now i see him  brisk walking 6-7km almost everyday. A tough guy who never give up.

• Praise 5

22 hours ago, CarNutz said:

I think many of u are spot on when u mentioned about age plays a huge factor. I am nearing 50 soon and relatively happy with level of fitness and appearance (subjective of course). If one is 20s to 30s,to look healthy and shredded no big deal yet. But when one nears or passes 50 can still look trim and fit (minus the face... LoL),then it is something worth celebrating. It is all about maintaining and sustainability. Most importantly,just be happy and comfortable with personal current state of affairs. No need too stressed up lah.

There is huge difference between single, carefree person, and a married family man with kids [laugh] At the same age.

So if you could do all that, with family in tow, it is something worth double celebration. It's a good feeling seeing other fella, IRL or in the newspapers, same age thereabouts, looking much older and haggard.

• Praise 1

I haven't been running regularly in 2021.

I signed up for 2 virtual runs, Asics Ekiden (10km in 1 go) and Mt Fuji Marathon (42km cumulatively).

In order to finish both runs, I have been running at my Easy zone (180w).

The biggest benefit of power is a constant effort which is not possible for HR or Pace.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
6 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

There is huge difference between single, carefree person, and a married family man with kids [laugh] At the same age.

So if you could do all that, with family in tow, it is something worth double celebration. It's a good feeling seeing other fella, IRL or in the newspapers, same age thereabouts, looking much older and haggard.

Body built like half a Rock, face like [insert your favorite handsome man's name here], can run marathon in 3 hours, swim at 50% speed of Michael Phelps, can play basketball like 1/4 of a Jordan, tak kiu like 1/3 of a Messi. Happily married with a beautiful and loving wife, with 2 sensible kids. CEO of some hotshot company. Loads of money.

Got lah. Maybe 1 in the whole wide world. 😂

• Haha! 3

49 minutes ago, Giordanogavin said:

Take it easy first and gradually.

When i injured and cant run I started with brisk walking, take it easy and slow down. Prior to my injury all i care is my pace, mileage and give 100% on all my run. As i slow down i start to noticing things around me. The usual people who exercises in the same park. One man caught my attention as every day i can see him doing brisk walking but with a limp. i chatted up with him as initially i though he injured his leg thus limping. He actually suffered stroke in the brain a few years ago. He is only in his mid to late 50s. He almost lost function of the other half of his body. Eventually he recovered amid walk with a leg limping (the other side of body effect of the stroke). Now i see him  brisk walking 6-7km almost everyday. A tough guy who never give up.

I have been brisking walking everday.  5-7km each.. HR very high,,exceed 129bpm.. Used to run at this HR, now walk also can reach, my cardio dropped like  shxt.  Yesterday was trying to test and see how much recovery since I have been feeling normal past few days. 8 min pace, cannot last 1km.. 

Slow run, no problem.. clocked many miles inslow  MAF rate. In 2019, all I did was slow MAF runs for thw whole year, no other training. Now can't even do slow run.😅

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

@Sosaria Oh yes certainly. What is also important is the mindset too. Example,oh now I am a dad so it's ok to have a dad's bod. Expected mah...blah blah blah. But I understand genetics play a huge part as well. So once a while a uncle with a fit body comes out,pple will clap hands cos it's not the norm. 

• Praise 1

Today, after many months away from Group Ride, I was back in Group Ride this morning.

I signed up 28km/h but end up with an average speed of 29.5km/h.

Despite riding along regularly, it is not enough to prepare me for Group Ride.

Fatigue started to set in after KM25.  I have to drag myself to finish the remaining 17km with SBV in btw.

• Praise 2

Do you guys actively check that you run within your targeted ideal heart rates... I am about 50 and very often, tracked my run which the heart rate ends up at about 170+ avg ..... Seems to be on a high side..... But the thing is, avg pace is about 5.3 min per km which is sort of ok but also not that great. So like to get some opinion whether I should target a lower avg rate. 

Edited by Hosaybo

4 minutes ago, Hosaybo said:

Do you guys actively check that you run within your targeted ideal heart rates... I am about 50 and very often, tracked my run which the heart rate ends up at about 170+ avg ..... Seems to be on a high side..... But the thing is, avg pace is about 5.3 min per km which is sort of ok but also not that great. So like to get some opinion whether I should target a lower avg rate. 

I wouldn't be too worried a out it.  Average is just a estimate.  And if your level of fitness is v high, then I would not be concerned.   I am 55 and whe  I do intense cardio, my HR is about 180.

Also, my exercise log for Nov

Screenshot_20211201-080536_Xiaomi Wear.jpg

• Praise 4

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I wouldn't be too worried a out it.  Average is just a estimate.  And if your level of fitness is v high, then I would not be concerned.   I am 55 and whe  I do intense cardio, my HR is about 180.

At 180 max HR, your heart is only 40 years old! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 1

58 minutes ago, Hosaybo said:

I can hit max of 180 but my ave rate likely 140-150s thereabout over 6-8km.  I cannot sustain such high ave....how long did you run?

Hmmm no right or wrong. 

If high heart rate, then u'll fatigue more easily. If your heart rate is lower, likely can sustain longer. 

Nowadays i run like a turtle. 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Hosaybo said:

I've just recently started tracking HR. I am around your age and I do slightly above 6km 2x weekly.

If I want to finish fast, my HR averages around high 15X for the whole distance. Based on the chart, it hovers around that for 30+ min. If I drop my pace by 30-45 sec slower per km, it comes down to average 144. 

If use the theoretical MHR as a gauge, I am exercising at 85% - 90% MHR for a prolonged period which is by right not sustainable. So my conclusion is that the theoretical MHR is still only a theory and does not apply to everyone. So far, I did not feel any discomfort after my runs so likely I can still sustain the pace.

But I do notice that my quality of sleep affects my running HR. Bad or insufficient sleep the night before means that my pace and timing the day will suck. Will take a lot more effort to complete the distance.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Loki said:

my Nov month is bad. Only 12 sessions due to work and no exercise for 2 weeks after booster shot. Still have 1 more week of lepak to go

At my age and fitness two months ago,  165 and above  anaerobic liao. 180 would have heart failure. LOL.

Now 130 feels like anaerobic.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2