Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My knee arthritis is very mild type. Sometimes I feel it on my runs but i just shuffle correctly then it will be fine. And i don't do high mileage to preserve it.
Or when i do some jumping/landing action and jar up my knee and it will be a bit uncomfortable. Only once i made it flare up when i did too much walking during my chemo phase.

I don't like to do squats or lunges cos invariably will give me issues if i do too much even just bodyweight.
Strengthening the back via compound movements is harder when your knees aren't that good. More of my concern is about my chronic tight hamstrings and it overhelping my weak gluts and also my weak lower and upper back. Unfortunately I'm not very disciplined in fixing those issues as compared to say running. Anyway the posterior chain is more of a need to fix everything kinda issue. 

The only squats i do are with the Smith machine at my gym where the locked position of the barbell doesnt destabilise my knee. So that I feel is safer for my knee so far. And this one is definitely the safest, but of course you don't test your stabilising component of strength.

Anyway I'm actually pretty ok. Though i get back aches easily if i overload like when i moved house, I know it will just worsen with age. Though it's already better than compared to say my mid 30s. The running has helped.

Can see this link for some suitable back exercises using whatever weight dumb bells you have. https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a28941843/best-dumbbell-back-exercises/ I was just googling it yesterday and will be trying them out in the next few days.

I also do seated cable rows at least 2x a week. The degree of cable lift can target different parts of your back. And of course, the pull up but since you did mention you are not too good with them, then a band assisted pull up.

No need for the squats and deadlifts to target your back though they bring about other massive benefits. I don't do weighted squats anymore to protect my knees too. Scared will be a TKR the next time.

My physiotherapist told me that strengthening my glutes and hamstring is more important that strengthening my quads. So I try to do mat exercises targeting glutes and hamstring for 20+ min continuously and tax them as much as I can in a session, at least 1x per week. I find that it helps to counter sleepy bums from all day sitting. Helps with running too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

23 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I'm also naturally not an exercise programme kinda guy. I don't like starting out an exercise session with a plan. haha.

I like to plan a lot of things in my life. But when it comes to exercise, absolutely zero inclination.

Since you started viewing kneesovertoe guy video, might as well follow thru with his plan. Assuming his claims are true, he had knee replacement done before due to injury, and now he can do all those amazing stuff.

1 hour ago, Ender said:

Since you started viewing kneesovertoe guy video, might as well follow thru with his plan. Assuming his claims are true, he had knee replacement done before due to injury, and now he can do all those amazing stuff.

Walking backwards or against slope i think that's quite do-able.
Unweighted Tibialis raises are not difficult to do but i dunno how he does them barefeet, my heel will hurt from the pressure.
Though I've mostly recovered from plantar fasciitis after using lower drop shoes, no way i can do them barefeet.

I'm considering getting a wooden slant board, cos that's not too bulky. And it can be used for stretching as well. It's supposedly very beneficial even from traditional PT videos.

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Ender said:

He has a partial or total knee replacement procedure? I am not so sure. These procedures are typically for people below 60 because those artificial joints have a lifespan of 20 years only. And by the time these artificial joints wear out, the person is likely dead.

He probably has another procedure done?

Knee indeed is a complex structure. Since my injury of my knee due to meniscus tear i have been very careful with my knee and exercises. Thankfully, now is getting better and i can exercise and run without much issue. I try to run at slower pace, reduce mileage and smaller cadence to reduce the impact.

For those with high bad cholesterol LDL, looks like not much can be done in term of diet and exercises. Probably medication (statin) but that is what most people want to avoid taking.

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/wellness/tips-lower-cholesterol-levels-diet-exercise-food-298536?fbclid=IwAR0HfSqrcKGPKO5hnLufQkq5kqIhktsw7G68l1DNdncpU4VTirZAXU-rlO0

37 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

He has a partial or total knee replacement procedure? I am not so sure. These procedures are typically for people below 60 because those artificial joints have a lifespan of 20 years only. And by the time these artificial joints wear out, the person is likely dead.

I don't know all these procedures and what he did. 

• Praise 1

53 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

No lah. He probably only has ligaments repair or arthroscopic surgery which may or may not work for everyone. Unless it's something like ACL repair which is definitely helpful for anyone with a torn ACL.

Edited by Lala81

54 minutes ago, Giordanogavin said:

For those with high bad cholesterol LDL, looks like not much can be done in term of diet and exercises. Probably medication (statin) but that is what most people want to avoid taking.

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/wellness/tips-lower-cholesterol-levels-diet-exercise-food-298536?fbclid=IwAR0HfSqrcKGPKO5hnLufQkq5kqIhktsw7G68l1DNdncpU4VTirZAXU-rlO0

More importantly is to stave away high BP, high weight, high sugar. 

How to have good cholesterol, only eat white bread.
Doesn't mean the cholesterol is a good measure of your health.[:p]

If u are high high from a young age, yeah take meds. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Partial knee replacement or total knee replacement is a dua zhong operation. Basically, the surgeon will cut off the bottom part of the femur and top part of the tibia which connects to the knee joint (the damaged portion). Then the artificial knee will be basically drilled into the femur and the tibia to secure it. The whole knee is man made.

To me as a layman, it is like a heart transplant surgery where they remove your heart and put in an artificial one, albeit less serious because without the leg, still can survive. I've seen a few animation videos on TKR surgery. Wah lao, see liao really make me want to protect my knees more.

That is why I am not sure if the kneesover toes guy had a simpler injury like repairing a menicus tear etc.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Kxbc said:

I missed out a "NOT". These procedures are typically not for people below 60. 😅

16 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Partial knee replacement or total knee replacement is a dua zhong operation. Basically, the surgeon will cut off the bottom part of the femur and top part of the tibia which connects to the knee joint (the damaged portion). Then the artificial knee will be basically drilled into the femur and the tibia to secure it. The whole knee is man made.

To me as a layman, it is like a heart transplant surgery where they remove your heart and put in an artificial one, albeit less serious because without the leg, still can survive. I've seen a few animation videos on TKR surgery. Wah lao, see liao really make me want to protect my knees more.

That is why I am not sure if the kneesover toes guy had a simpler injury like repairing a menicus tear etc.

He did mentioned it in one of many videos he produced on the surgery he did on his knees. What type, I don't know but it was due to the sports he was doing then, overload or over train when young. Anyway i think there's alot to learn from his video on strengthening your knees and other legs problem. I am doing the atg squad (dynamic instead of static) and the tibialis feet lift regularly for strengthen my shin. I am using the kettle bell for it.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

I can imagine adding a nipple for pumping in lubricants in case the new knee has creaking sound....

• Haha! 2

6 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I can imagine adding a nipple for pumping in lubricants in case the new knee has creaking sound....

Like that remember to bring a can of wd40 for sports when one get the nipple installed.😅

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Ender said:

Like that remember to bring a can of wd40 for sports when one get the nipple installed.😅

Normal WD40 is not actually a good lubricant for heavy loads, you need high pressure lubricant/grease in this case!

33 minutes ago, Ender said:

He did mentioned it in one of many videos he produced on the surgery he did on his knees. What type, I don't know but it was due to the sports he was doing then, overload or over train when young. Anyway i think there's alot to learn from his video on strengthening your knees and other legs problem. I am doing the atg squad (dynamic instead of static) and the tibialis feet lift regularly for strengthen my shin. I am using the kettle bell for it.

Truth is not many peoples body is built for pro sports. To be a pro player already means u are more injury resistant cos many others fell out along the way. So it's survival of the fittest. 

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Kxbc said:

9:27 to 9:40.. He mentioned his left has a partial artificial knee cap and his right has a torn ACL which he didin't operate on, and the Ortho went on to comment on his injuries.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement