Exercising and losing weight

ODC

2 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

Parents generally make poor coach/tutor of their own children. Lol.

Tianmo is an exception though. 😄

Seems like Already 青出于蓝而胜于蓝,his boy started to coach and jio him for training 😆

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

If my laopeh can run sub 10 min for 2.4 at his age when I enlisted, surely strong motivation for the son to at least match that lol. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 4

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

If my laopeh can run sub 10 min for 2.4 at his age when I enlisted, surely strong motivation for the son to at least match that lol. 

Must ask @TangoCharlie now motivated his son is running now? But at least still running. My son still like not very concern of his lack of stamina.

• Haha! 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, Giordanogavin said:

My 5K jog/run recently. As you can see the HR is quite high 170+ but I still feel ok and not all out yet. Is ~90-95% effort I would say.

i usually run 5K 2-3 times per week at this pace. Moving forward I am thinking to try incorporate ‘easy’ run into 1 of my weekly run  which could improve aerobic fitness.

7A6775B1-9DAE-4142-8B01-C27F5D3E45F4.jpeg

wah 💪👍🙏

On 1/22/2023 at 9:28 AM, TangoCharlie said:

Good morning bros and stay healthy and fit for the year. 🙏

Have accompanied my kid for jogs who is due for enlistment in a few months time. 

An issue that cropped up is the stitch he faced almost every run. Any bro has a routine to prevent that from happening. I hardly get stitch myself so unable to offer any advice other than reduce twisting of upper body. Not even sure if it's the cause.

Thanks. 

most likely body not used to physical exercise…

last time my son pre enlistment also like that… when go running with him to train up for bmt, halfway into the run sometimes say stomachache need to go toilet other times say stitch, knees pain, ankles pain, hands numb etc etc… sibeh mafan one

nowadays no more such complaints when we go running liao after~1 year into ns… better mental resilience, more used to physical exercise, improved core strength and stamina… although still slow. 

随心随性can already…

😬😅

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

My kid is pretty active one having played table tennis competitively in secondary school (reserve member though) and basketball recreationally. I do encourage him to pick up a sport since young. 

Only problem he could not keep his weight down😅, and pass his napfa, which took place a week after he recovered from C. 

So now just take things one step at a time. 

• Praise 2

28 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

My kid is pretty active one having played table tennis competitively in secondary school (reserve member though) and basketball recreationally. I do encourage him to pick up a sport since young. 

Only problem he could not keep his weight down😅, and pass his napfa, which took place a week after he recovered from C. 

So now just take things one step at a time. 

with your wife's cooking, how to keep weight down LOL

• Haha! 3

hahaa, think generally most youngsters dun like to run unless is representing school in sports, else just like play sports recreationally

(well at least for me and the ppl ard me) Now even worst, computer and handphone most times...

Only picked up jogging 2-3 years back to reduce weight as is my kness are crying for help  😛

(I am those slender type when young so can imagine how much weight i gained over the years after NS 🙂)

Napfa is a sure fail for me as I can't pass sit and reach...lol

so is prepared to get enlisted early to get trained by army...good also lah... hahaha

Edited by Gunzy
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Gunzy said:

hahaa, think generally most youngsters dun like to run unless is representing school in sports, else just like play sports recreationally

(well at least for me and the ppl ard me) Now even worst, computer and handphone most times...

Only picked up jogging 2-3 years back to reduce weight as is my kness are crying for help  😛

(I am those slender type when young so can imagine how much weight i gained over the years after NS 🙂)

Napfa is a sure fail for me as I can't pass sit and reach...lol

so is prepared to get enlisted early to get trained by army...good also lah... hahaha

Ya , youngster like my son hates running.

• Haha! 3

47 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

He passed napfa? If so, should be ok lah. 

His last napfa was in secondary school. I don't think can use as a gauge. Lol.

• Haha! 1

It is a norm for kids to train for NS in this era? I notice kids nowadays all look like quite fit and like should not have any problem on the physical training when go NS le. And most can go directly to BMT batch. Or do they still have PTP batch in the army now? Remember last time those can passed napfa test, go directly to 3 months BMT, cannot pass napfa, go 4 months PTP and obese go 5 months.

Unlike last time era kids, many never train for NS at all, failed napfa test and most go to PTP batch in NS one. 😅

15 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Reality couldn't be further from that.... Lol. Ask ender and enye. 😂🤣

• Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I did PTP. Quite good training i feel. 

I wouldn't have passed IPPT at the end of BMT if i didn't do PTP. 

Whether you did PTP or BMT directly, at the end of BMT, they also MUST train until you can pass IPPT la. Lol. Like me lo, i did PTP due to pull-up zero, cannot pull up at all. But barely end of PTP, broke the zero egg liao. Then end of BMT, super easy can pull 12 or more siah. 😂

• Praise 3

56 minutes ago, 13177 said:

It is a norm for kids to train for NS in this era? I notice kids nowadays all look like quite fit and like should not have any problem on the physical training when go NS le. And most can go directly to BMT batch. Or do they still have PTP batch in the army now? Remember last time those can passed napfa test, go directly to 3 months BMT, cannot pass napfa, go 4 months PTP and obese go 5 months.

Unlike last time era kids, many never train for NS at all, failed napfa test and most go to PTP batch in NS one. 😅

the overweight ones now classified as PES BP, extra 2 months

• Praise 1

On 1/22/2023 at 9:28 AM, TangoCharlie said:

Good morning bros and stay healthy and fit for the year. 🙏

Have accompanied my kid for jogs who is due for enlistment in a few months time. 

An issue that cropped up is the stitch he faced almost every run. Any bro has a routine to prevent that from happening. I hardly get stitch myself so unable to offer any advice other than reduce twisting of upper body. Not even sure if it's the cause.

Thanks. 

I used to get it in my school days and  the early stage of NS, but it went away by itself during NS and never came back. 

My guess of the cause could be food and gassy drinks, the faster pace and talking or singing during the run for weaker runners. 

Try a slower pace, and no food or gassy drinks 2-3 hrs before the run. 

Anyway, I believe he will get over it during NS. NS fixes alot of issues we parents cannot fix. Strange but I guess that's how ah boys to men. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

On 1/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, TangoCharlie said:

This morning for example. Wake up, wash up and went running. No food, probably just a sip water then set off for run.

Stitch came in the beginning and lasted throughout the 3-4 km run. No water intake during the run. 

Did he eat a heavy meal before bed time? 

And I think running 3-4km for a start is a little too long. His body maybe going through shock with the sudden change.

Or maybe leave him alone, let him do his runs OTOT. Could be mental and not physical. Young men have pride and trying to keep up with their old men is never fun.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1