Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Since this is an Exercise thread and with some focus on medical updates/news, you can refresh your biology knowledge on what goes on in our body in this anime called "Cells at Work - Code Black". It depicts the life & work of all the cells in a man's body - smoker, drinker, under heavy stress - through the eyes of a red blood cell. S1 Ep1-2 is for all smokers and drinkers. S1 Ep3 is for all of us.😂 It's available on Netflix. There is another more kawaii version just called "Cells at work" but that is more for a general audience. Most of you here probably won't like it.

The medical info have been simplified and dumbed down a little for the general audience but it should be largely correct. Anyway, you won't be able to remember all the medical terminology called out.

Edited by Kxbc
↡ Advertisement

Just now, Enye said:

wah you towkay different ....can go zzz immediately after exercise

i come back from run still have to do the laundry, wait for the washing machine cycle to finish and then hang up the laundry to dry.....peasant jin pai mia one

after doing chores just nice tired fall asleep

😅

wah, you just quoted what I do at night too. Besides those, I still have to water the plants, wash up after dinner, clean up after my cat and prepare for tomorrow's breakfast. We are both jin pai mia. 😥

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

He drives sharan. Should qualify as uncle Liao bah lol. 

I'm probably younger than him. But definitely can't sleep if I run at night. Even I run at 6+pm already have trouble sleeping before midnight. 

orrrhor....you say carbon82 is uncle....

tiagong he ex commando who can run 2.4km under 7 mins leh

💪😬

• Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

wah, you just quoted what I do at night too. Besides those, I still have to water the plants, wash up after dinner, clean up after my cat and prepare for tomorrow's breakfast. We are both jin pai mia. 😥

wash up after dinner is before run lah....need to let the food digest first after jiak bah bah then can run

also no jiak bah no energy to run...that's why very small window of time open at night for exercise

😬

• Haha! 1

Re-start my 5k run after my knee injury.

It is not easy. when i first injured even have difficulty to walk let alone run.  Visited ortho doctors all advice me to go for surgery. However i choose for the conservative treatment by doing PT and strengthening exercise. i have doubt whether i could ever run again. I start slow with brisk walking, cycling, swimming and slowly progress to easy jog. Never give up easily.  Still off my pre-injury fitness but being able to run outdoor pain free is actually a blessing already.

Share your story if you have knee injury (meniscus tear) like me or other injuries.

2068751343_5Krun.thumb.jpg.ca424ad3a210e18ee1b4fc71744dbc82.jpg

• Praise 10

48 minutes ago, Giordanogavin said:

It is not easy. when i first injured even have difficulty to walk let alone run.  Visited ortho doctors all advice me to go for surgery. However i choose for the conservative treatment by doing PT and strengthening exercise. i have doubt whether i could ever run again. I start slow with brisk walking, cycling, swimming and slowly progress to easy jog. Never give up easily.  Still off my pre-injury fitness but being able to run outdoor pain free is actually a blessing already.

Share your story if you have knee injury (meniscus tear) like me or other injuries.

Can take a look at some of the basic exercises by the kneesovertoesguy. 

Now I include his ATG  Split Squat and the peterson Step up and down for my post run exercise while cooling down.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Giordanogavin said:

great to see you back in this thread...boss

💪👍

• Praise 2

@Giordanogavin 

I had my ACL 90% torn along with my MCL during a football game 4-7 yrs. Ortho advised that if I wanted to continue playing football then surgery is the only way as ACL does not heal by itself. However, if I don't intend to kick a ball again just normal running / jogging then just go rehab and conservative treatment like you to strengthen the surrounding muscles will do. I was 40 then, so I decided to go for the op as I figured I prob had at least 10 years of football left in me. Had I known Covid will happen, I will prob not have gone for it since haven't played much in last 2 years lol. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

I supported in 2013 and 2014, and wanted to go for this run every year, but too bad unable.

Green corridor run is also back this year. Now the run is called PUB Green Run.

https://www.greenrun.com.sg/

this year's Yellow Ribbon is virtual, so own time own target.

their only requirement is that tracking be done on Strava only and link the YR account to Strava.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Blueray said:

their only requirement is that tracking be done on Strava only and link the YR account to Strava.

Most run events are virtual

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

I dont really like virtual, rather go for the actual run on actual day. Lol.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

I dont really like virtual, rather go for the actual run on actual day. Lol.

Looks like you used join races? I wouldn't pay for virtual runs too. Doesn't make sense when everyone runs their own course and hence no one runs the same distance. The other part of paying is to experience the race atmosphere.

• Praise 1

never had a good impression of virtual events

got 1 time i joined one where the key milestones were all about chalking up as high mileage as possible on individual and team basis

event started at midnight and updated hourly.  within 1 hour by 1am, some individuals already chalked up and posted their 60 km 70 km runs.  for the entire period of the event, the leaders can chalk up thousands of km, running more than 100 km per day on average

unbelievable … from then on i swore off signing up for any virtual event 

🤣

2 minutes ago, Enye said:

never had a good impression of virtual events

got 1 time i joined one where the key milestones were all about chalking up as high mileage as possible on individual and team basis

event started at midnight and updated hourly.  within 1 hour by 1am, some individuals already chalked up and posted their 60 km 70 km runs.  for the entire period of the event, the leaders can chalk up thousands of km, running more than 100 km per day on average

unbelievable … from then on i swore off signing up for any virtual event 

🤣

Is it the AIA one? I read from other forum got one lady can clocked more than 80km everyday for weeks... Many were suspicioua of her, but organiser don't care...

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, Ender said:

Is it the AIA one? I read from other forum got one lady can clocked more than 80km everyday for weeks... Many were suspicioua of her, but organiser don't care...

ya … i never knew there were so many aunty ultra-marathoners in sg

looking at their posted results, some can easily finish a marathon ahead of kipchoge and gather at the breakfast table gossip, jiak their dim sum and drink chinese tea before he crosses the finish line 

😅

Edited by Enye
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2