Jump to content
ODC

Exercising and losing weight

Recommended Posts

Twincharged
30 minutes ago, Loki said:

 

You can try interval training, alternate freestyle fast and breaststroke slow

Thanks for the tip! I'm self taught...so I'm happy enough not to pant after a lap.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
7 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Lol. Interesting. 

BBC News - Motor neurone disease: Intense exercise increases risk, say scientists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57431412

That is why I am clumsy. Fell down 3  times within the year I increased my mileage.

  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neutral Newbie

hi,

When you are losing weight, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy or “burns off.” The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a “calorie deficit” that results in weight loss.

JANUMET XR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
On 6/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, awhtc said:

I have been swimming ~ 2 km for about 1 hour almost every night for a few months.

However, while the rest of the body's muscles are toned, it is quite hard to lose that little tummy 😂 I'm cutting down to 2 meals a day recently and the effect on the tummy is more pronounced.

I conclude that for keeping slim, exercise constitutes only 20-30% while food intake is 70-80% of the outcome.

Actually its true.... 

I skipped breakfast have early lunch then dinner for last few weeks.... Lost around 2kg...

Hopefully not water only. 😅

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
21 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Lol. Interesting. 

BBC News - Motor neurone disease: Intense exercise increases risk, say scientists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57431412

Their definition of intense, ie, 3 times x 15 to 30 min per week, is actually not intense at all. I am sure all of us here exceed these numbers by maybe at least 2x.

What wasn't clear is what are the defective genes that make some people more susceptible to this condition. 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
16 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Their definition of intense, ie, 3 times x 15 to 30 min per week, is actually not intense at all. I am sure all of us here exceed these numbers by maybe at least 2x.

What wasn't clear is what are the defective genes that make some people more susceptible to this condition. 

I think the association is there once past that defined threshold. High performance athletes maybe up to 6 times more likely to have motor neuron disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
31 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Their definition of intense, ie, 3 times x 15 to 30 min per week, is actually not intense at all. I am sure all of us here exceed these numbers by maybe at least 2x.

What wasn't clear is what are the defective genes that make some people more susceptible to this condition. 

Ya, pretty low bar for intense. Seems like alot of healthy conscious fellows will be at risk, if their genes match up with the study.

But at our age above 50, those with mobility issues are usually the ones with weak cardiovascular health and weak muscles and bones rather than motor neurone issues.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Ran passed Sk stadium just now. Saw workers removing the plastics wrapped around the fitness corner. Think tomorrow can use liao.

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

The 2 fitness corners along the pcn near my place were not cordoned off this CB. Your side a bit special. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

Just got notice from my daughter's tuition class that they will resume on site from 29th June following the phase 3 HA. I don't know if I want to get take the risk yet.

Edited by Ender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
27 minutes ago, Ender said:

Just got notice from my daughter's tuition class that they will resume on site from 29th June following the phase 3 HA. I don't know if I want to get take the risk yet.

You see by 29 jun, how is the situation then decide lo. Now really hard to say, the community cases can be good and can be suddenly bad.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
On 6/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, Lala81 said:

I think the association is there once past that defined threshold. High performance athletes maybe up to 6 times more likely to have motor neuron disease.

Christian just collapsed two days ago on the field. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged (edited)
10 hours ago, Ender said:

Just got notice from my daughter's tuition class that they will resume on site from 29th June following the phase 3 HA. I don't know if I want to get take the risk yet.

Yes.

My son piano (1 to 1) resuming this week. Ballet (class of 10 ...I think) in July still awaiting details from the teacher though.

Seem like everyone can't wait to resume normality.

Edited by Kopites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
On 6/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, awhtc said:

I have been swimming ~ 2 km for about 1 hour almost every night for a few months.

However, while the rest of the body's muscles are toned, it is quite hard to lose that little tummy 😂 I'm cutting down to 2 meals a day recently and the effect on the tummy is more pronounced.

I conclude that for keeping slim, exercise constitutes only 20-30% while food intake is 70-80% of the outcome.

Confirm plus chop. And also what you eat la - minimum to no carbs is important. If you can, do IF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
14 hours ago, Kxbc said:

The 2 fitness corners along the pcn near my place were not cordoned off this CB. Your side a bit special. 

 

Not all fitness corners or playgrounds were cordoned off during this mini-CB. It depends on whether they tend to attract large groups, or there are residents' complaints. The closures are quite arbitrary, to me, but I am glad they did not close off ALL fitness corners and playgrounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

SK has a lot of younger people who might crowd around the exercise corner so maybe they cordoned it off.

MY PCN mostly lao lang and middle aged people. Not that many make use of the pull up bars, parallel bars and monkey swing. So maybe that's why still free for use.

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×