Exercising and losing weight

ODC

you guys really heart rate damn steady.

I ran for 46 mins last week. very slow pace but my HR was in red zone for 42 mins out of the 46 lol  [laugh]

I also very close to you, most of my runs are in zone 4 orange color zone, with mayb 20%-30% in RED zone 5.  [laugh]

last time with the phone apps I can see a bar chart but cannot see %, with the Pace now can see in % liao. My 37 min slow run yesterday was 55% zone 4 ( orange/yellow), 37% zone 5 (RED). [laugh]  [laugh]

Hardly can even stay in zone 3 (green) for more than 2 min, how to do a zone 2 (light blue) run?  :huh:  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Try long slow distance and focus more on your breathing rather than speed.

7:45/km. I think that's sibei slow liao. 

Like i said i started slowly somemore, 8-8.10/km for 1st 2km and yet my HR only stayed below 160 for 3mins lol 

lol i bought my cap on sat, but forgot to bring it for jogging yest lol

Is a matter of getting use to it, now I have to wear a cap when I go for run. 

Some how feel saver also, no scare things drop from the sky.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

what color you bought? black? [laugh]

I think probably my body not suitable for endurance events lah. Anyway i'm not a LSD kinda guy. So chop chop karli pok 25mins - 30+ mins is just about nice for me.

Is a matter of getting use to it, now I have to wear a cap when I go for run. 

Some how feel saver also, no scare things drop from the sky.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

what color you bought? black? [laugh]

grey. I thought the nicest color.

But the cap bit tight for a men's cap. OK lah. my head average size should be no issues.

there isn't any bright colors

My wife worried i wear black singlet (since I'm under armor) and black shorts, visibility low at night.

So now going to look for some more funky color singlet to wear for running.

I looked at the decathlon singlets/shorts for running. all quite CMI leh. material about sama sama as SAF singlet.

Shorts no open pocket. 

singlets and vests ok, but all either black, dark blue niah. 

Decathlon singlets, i think their armhole also extend too low.

I think probably my body not suitable for endurance events lah. Anyway i'm not a LSD kinda guy. So chop chop karli pok 25mins - 30+ mins is just about nice for me.

grey. I thought the nicest color.

But the cap bit tight for a men's cap. OK lah. my head average size should be no issues.

there isn't any bright colors

My wife worried i wear black singlet (since I'm under armor) and black shorts, visibility low at night.

So now going to look for some more funky color singlet to wear for running.

I looked at the decathlon singlets/shorts for running. all quite CMI leh. material about sama sama as SAF singlet.

Shorts no open pocket. 

singlets and vests ok, but all either black, dark blue niah. 

Grey nice! [thumbsup]

Yah their color selection quite limited. I think the brightest I can find is the $7.90 sky blue one, otherwise is the white one liao. 

Try the sportlinks at AMK, that day when I went with @ender to buy the Asics shoes, saw some very bright color singlets on close out offer, some look  luminous even.  [:p]

WOS at IMM and Westgate outlet got this Bodymaster brand, now also on offer like 1 for 1 i think, got many bright colors, Mizuno singlets also on offer if I not wrong.  [laugh]

If you run with key, can consider what I just share.  [thumbsup]

you guys really heart rate damn steady.

I ran for 46 mins last week. very slow pace but my HR was in red zone for 42 mins out of the 46 lol [laugh]

In my opinion that's a quality run.
  • Praise 1

8/km also can. Exercise and condition your heart for longer distance first. Aim at running at a pace you can still hold a conversation.

will try. but nowadays trying not to run too late at night cos will disrupt my sleep. And I'm having more trouble with my sleep last 2 months. Maybe it's cos of my partial wt gain back to about 80kg.

I used to run at monday and thurs late night after work, then another earlier run at saturday.

Now after 10x10 ended, running twice a week and switching to tues evening and fri/sat earlier time to run. Probably a slower run then a threshold run weekly. But for me, reaching threshold HR is like almost every run haha

will disrupt my sleep. And I'm having more trouble with my sleep last few months. 

I also very close to you, most of my runs are in zone 4 orange color zone, with mayb 20%-30% in RED zone 5. [laugh]

last time with the phone apps I can see a bar chart but cannot see %, with the Pace now can see in % liao. My 37 min slow run yesterday was 55% zone 4 ( orange/yellow), 37% zone 5 (RED). [laugh][laugh]

Hardly can even stay in zone 3 (green) for more than 2 min, how to do a zone 2 (light blue) run? :huh:[laugh]

Only when I have a plan to run 12 - 21km, then run at zone 3 or lesser. Coz that is mainly to train muscle endurance and not my aerobic capacity. Another time to do zone 3 or lesser is for my recovery run for an injury.

I am believer in hiits, threshold runs is a form of mild hiit without the recovery time, should be done more regularly, if you are not doing other form of hiits.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Only when I have a plan to run 12 - 21km, then run at zone 3 or lesser. Coz that is mainly to train muscle endurance and not my aerobic capacity. Another time to do zone 3 or lesser is for my recovery run for an injury.

I am believer in hiits, threshold runs is a form of mild hiit without the recovery time, should be done more regularly, if you are not doing other form of hiits.

so shorter distance but max pace = train aerobic capacity 

and longer dist but slower pace = train muscle endurance?

i usually have little time to squeeze so my runs are usually shorter distance and chop chop finish as fast as i can since the cool off period takes me another 30 min.

Turbocharged

will try. but nowadays trying not to run too late at night cos will disrupt my sleep. And I'm having more trouble with my sleep last 2 months. Maybe it's cos of my partial wt gain back to about 80kg.

I used to run at monday and thurs late night after work, then another earlier run at saturday.

Now after 10x10 ended, running twice a week and switching to tues evening and fri/sat earlier time to run. Probably a slower run then a threshold run weekly. But for me, reaching threshold HR is like almost every run haha

will disrupt my sleep. And I'm having more trouble with my sleep last few months. 

when i was in my 20s, i can run at 11pm and sleep at 12+. sleep like a pig through to the next morning.

as i grow older, no longer possible to sleep as easily if i exercise too late.

maybe try to run earlier or first thing in the morning like old grandpa? i know it might not be possible with family commitments because i face it too. that's why my runs are usually shorter runs in the evenings. can't afford to spend 1+ hour running.

when i was in my 20s, i can run at 11pm and sleep at 12+. sleep like a pig through to the next morning.

as i grow older, no longer possible to sleep as easily if i exercise too late.

maybe try to run earlier or first thing in the morning like old grandpa? i know it might not be possible with family commitments because i face it too. that's why my runs are usually shorter runs in the evenings. can't afford to spend 1+ hour running.

you're at highest risk of stroke/heart attacks in the morning. I do exercise sometimes in the morning but not as a routine. 

i usually have little time to squeeze so my runs are usually shorter distance and chop chop finish as fast as i can since the cool off period takes me another 30 min.

longer slower = train muscle endurance (ability to utilise your slow twitch fibres) and your heart (cos your heart stroke volume maxes out at 60% of your max HR)

faster more intense = train your running pace efficiency.and ability to clear off lactate and other metabolites 

This a typical heart rate zone for my short under 30 mins runs. Most of my runs are lesser than 30mins. Chop chop done. But sweat til shorts are dripping.

post-23584-0-42058600-1533108384_thumb.png

• Praise 1

longer slower = train muscle endurance (ability to utilise your slow twitch fibres) and your heart (cos your heart stroke volume maxes out at 60% of your max HR)

faster more intense = train your running pace efficiency.and ability to clear off lactate and other metabolites

Is stroke volume a parameter of a strong heart? If I assume correctly, this is the volume of blood pushed per 'squeezed' of the heart? For a same amount of work done the muscles, a stronger heart would beat slower to pump the same volume of blood of a lesser heart? Lower RHR for the athletes? Edited by Ender

Is stroke volume a parameter of a strong heart? If I assume correctly, this is the volume of blood pushed per 'squeezed' of the heart? For a same amount of work done the muscles, a stronger heart would beat slower to pump the same volume of blood of a lesser heart? Lower RHR for the athletes?

i assume that's how the fit people have such low heart rates and able to get a good circulation without HR going up too much.

Jack Daniels is the advocate of that just even at below your threshold pace, your heart is already working as hard as it can (without resorting to just blindly increasing heart rate) and that the benefits are mostly muscular endurance.

I only have an understanding of stroke volume decreasing due to heart disease. And not how much it compensates physiologically.

But i remember hearing some podcast by Peter Attia saying that your Ejection fraction only increases up to max 80% (the portion of blood that is ejected out with every squeeze) no matter how hard u train. He's quite an athletic guy and MD so he should know what he's talking about.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

In other words, ... 有洞就可以.  :XD:

ahem ahem, 魔是随和, 不是随便!!!!  -_-  <_<  [laugh]

I is got standard one hor, not anyhow anyhow... [:p]

• Praise 2

Aerobic zone training is between 70-80% of your maxHR. This is considered easy runs i.e conversation pace.

Above that (red zone) is to train for lactate threshold tolerance. Or VO2max.

General guidance is 80% of your total distance should be at aerobic zone.

Please look at the garmin training video I posted few pages back, on heart rate training zones.

i assume that's how the fit people have such low heart rates and able to get a good circulation without HR going up too much.

Jack Daniels is the advocate of that just even at below your threshold pace, your heart is already working as hard as it can (without resorting to just blindly increasing heart rate) and that the benefits are mostly muscular endurance.

I only have an understanding of stroke volume decreasing due to heart disease. And not how much it compensates physiologically.

But i remember hearing some podcast by Peter Attia saying that your Ejection fraction only increases up to max 80% (the portion of blood that is ejected out with every squeeze) no matter how hard u train. He's quite an athletic guy and MD so he should know what he's talking about.

I don't think I understand 100% of it, especially the ejection fraction thingy. But personally going by estimated VO2max or vDot and my Resting HR as a parameters to measure by for my age, I think I have reaped most benefits from my short threshold runs.  Indirectly  correlate the benefits of HIITs. 

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1