Exercising and losing weight

ODC

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

haha now if u walking without mask, then pple point here point there. So during that 1 min walk in between :ph34r:

Interestingly, my side quite ok. Ppl here seem to be quite used to having runners walking without a mask..[laugh]

I carry the 1st generation black mask issue by the gov in one hand when I go running, so ppl can see I holding a mask. Most runners ard my area are regulars, so mayb ppl used to us already, and most of runners here  carry a mask when running also. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

13 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Interestingly, my side quite ok. Ppl here seem to be quite used to having runners walking without a mask..[laugh]

I carry the 1st generation black mask issue by the gov in one hand when I go running, so ppl can see I holding a mask. Most runners ard my area are regulars, so mayb ppl used to us already, and most of runners here  carry a mask when running also. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

i don't bring a mask along the way, but conversely i don't usually stop until I'm dripping sweat at my void deck doing stretching

56 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

haha now if u walking without mask, then pple point here point there. So during that 1 min walk in between :ph34r:

i wear neck buff just to prevent finger pointing....😀

45 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Do you start the run:walk even at the beginning, ie, first 2 min run, then 1 min walk or you start doing that sort of mid way? Asking because at the start of the run, can't seem to really justify the walking bit. It's like run 400m, walk 100m, rinse repeat.

its like run 1km...walk 120 steps.....run 900m...walk 120 steps (my watch will vibrate every 1 km).  aiyah why is there a need to justify the walking...ownself feels comfortable can already. haha.😀

Hypersonic
11 hours ago, Ender said:

Should go for race. Likely can get sub 1:40 for HM at your pace.

wah guru.... i recreational runner

no stress no stress

😅

Hypersonic
Just now, Enye said:

wah guru.... i recreational runner

no stress no stress

😅

You got the runners' gene... Shouldn't go to waste.

Hypersonic
9 hours ago, Kxbc said:

I won't have any of your problem. I will gladly stop anytime 😁, even before the 2 min is up. My problem is starting to run again after the walk. 😁

I'm stopping running for the time being. Found out the root cause of my knee pain and hopefully, will recover by end Oct to do runs again.

What's the root cause of your knee pain?

Turbocharged
9 minutes ago, Ender said:

What's the root cause of your knee pain?

Medical report says focal area of full thickness cartilage loss. Both knees. Same location. And I am not even a runner. You ran 1600km in 6 months. I think I ran 10% of that only in the same period. Sibei sian. 

• Sad 1

Hypersonic
1 minute ago, Kxbc said:

Medical report says focal area of full thickness cartilage loss. Both knees. Same location. And I am not even a runner. You ran 1600km in 6 months. I think I ran 10% of that only in the same period. Sibei sian. 

Is this what they call the runner's knee? So rest can recover,since you mentioned you intend to restart running soon? But practice good form, like land on the ball of the foot to activate calves muscle to absorb the impact. Land  with bended knees, to activate the quads so to shift some of the support of the impact from the knee to the quads.  

Hypersonic
15 hours ago, Ender said:

You got the runners' gene... Shouldn't go to waste.

30 years too late

😬😅

Turbocharged
18 hours ago, Ender said:

Is this what they call the runner's knee? So rest can recover,since you mentioned you intend to restart running soon? But practice good form, like land on the ball of the foot to activate calves muscle to absorb the impact. Land  with bended knees, to activate the quads so to shift some of the support of the impact from the knee to the quads.  

18 hours ago, Ender said:

Runners knee seem to be a general catch all term for knee pain. https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee#1

So far, the RICE never worked, even when I have stopped running for 2 months, compress it at night etc. The pain stabs me from behind the knee when I apply more pressure on it eg walking up stairs, jump and land. At best walk up 2 to 3 flights of stairs before the pain hits. My HR will straight away shoot up and will breath a lot harder, worse than when I run my regular 5km (definitely not as fast as the many sifu here but still within 30 min). Actually, the last 400m of my runs are getting a bit painful in the knees as I typically open up and try to get a better timing.

Went for MRI, showed up loss of cartilage (almost all gone) in the central femoral trochlear grove and substantial liquid collecting in the cavities of the knee area. Can take HA injections (3 - 5 times over a few weeks) but only lasts for 6 months. A more perm solution is to encourage cartilage growth through surgery. Can last at least 5 years according to the doctor. So if I keep my weight manageable and stop my gym squats (loaded), I might be able to make it last longer. Since I am still relatively young compared to the residents in the old folks home, I thought it makes for sense for a longer term solution.

I know of a person in the gym. He's close to 70 now but have been plagued by knee issues for many years. He was a runner like you. In his 30s to 50s, mileage is super high. A few HM and full Ms a year, long weekly runs etc. Bone rub bone already. Become a bit bow legged because trying to adjust walking gait for the pain. I see him walk also painful. He finally got surgery last year after many years of enduring the pain. I also don't to get to that stage before I get treatment. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
7 hours ago, Kxbc said:

Runners knee seem to be a general catch all term for knee pain. https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee#1

So far, the RICE never worked, even when I have stopped running for 2 months, compress it at night etc. The pain stabs me from behind the knee when I apply more pressure on it eg walking up stairs, jump and land. At best walk up 2 to 3 flights of stairs before the pain hits. My HR will straight away shoot up and will breath a lot harder, worse than when I run my regular 5km (definitely not as fast as the many sifu here but still within 30 min). Actually, the last 400m of my runs are getting a bit painful in the knees as I typically open up and try to get a better timing.

Went for MRI, showed up loss of cartilage (almost all gone) in the central femoral trochlear grove and substantial liquid collecting in the cavities of the knee area. Can take HA injections (3 - 5 times over a few weeks) but only lasts for 6 months. A more perm solution is to encourage cartilage growth through surgery. Can last at least 5 years according to the doctor. So if I keep my weight manageable and stop my gym squats (loaded), I might be able to make it last longer. Since I am still relatively young compared to the residents in the old folks home, I thought it makes for sense for a longer term solution.

I know of a person in the gym. He's close to 70 now but have been plagued by knee issues for many years. He was a runner like you. In his 30s to 50s, mileage is super high. A few HM and full Ms a year, long weekly runs etc. Bone rub bone already. Become a bit bow legged because trying to adjust walking gait for the pain. I see him walk also painful. He finally got surgery last year after many years of enduring the pain. I also don't to get to that stage before I get treatment. 

So you are opting for the surgery? Take care.  Come to pain threshold when running I only will run if it's low grade pain, level 1 or 2 on a scale of 10. 

I have my share of  leg injuries, from Achilles tendinitis, shin splints. RICE didn't work for me as well. Both of them recovered while I was still running, but slower pace and at the stadium track.

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, Ender said:

So you are opting for the surgery? Take care.  Come to pain threshold when running I only will run if it's low grade pain, level 1 or 2 on a scale of 10. 

I have my share of  leg injuries, from Achilles tendinitis, shin splints. RICE didn't work for me as well. Both of them recovered while I was still running, but slower pace and at the stadium track.

If it is something like a muscle flare up which will recover on its own with RICE, I'll definitely not opt for surgery. Unfortunately it will only get worse with usage and age if I want to continue with my existing lifestyle of exercising. I think I should still have at least a decade left in me before I become too weak or frail to run.

I think my injury came from overuse, not from running but squats. Not that I do heavy squats but perhaps my cartilage were not genetically blessed in the first place to handle the loaded plates. But too late to regret now. 

Since we talking injuries, i had my second physio appointment on Wednesday. There is some improvement to the heel with the strengthening exercises he had me doing, so now we're ramping it up with more load and range of motion and i'll see him again in a month.

15 hours ago, Kxbc said:

This kind won't fully go away one. It's just more pain or less pain. Osteochondral defect.

• Praise 1

On 7/22/2020 at 11:40 PM, Ender said:

Lol we were debating whether all this long distance running is good for your joints in my medical friends chat. 

My Ortho friend says its can be frustrating talking to these amateur runners who ask "Doctor, why I have knee pain ar?" [laugh]

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

Lol we were debating whether all this long distance running is good for your joints in my medical friends chat. 

My Ortho friend says its can be frustrating talking to these amateur runners who ask "Doctor, why I have knee pain ar?" [laugh]

Any conclusion on the debate?

(edited)
2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Any conclusion on the debate?

Conclusion is do it cos u like to run. Not because you are concerned about the health of your knees. To them, it's simple mechanics. your joints don't get better as you run more beyond a certain point.

At least know the reason why u need surgery. lol

[laugh]

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2