Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Turbocharged
29 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Adding weight plates on your chest is extremely dangerous,  and I would never recommend it.  

Consider investing in a weighted vest instead, either fixed weight or adjustable weight is better than bare weight plates.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

If don't stack them is ok. Just 1 pc. Slow controlled movement. As long as it does not shift and don't obstruct movement.

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Kxbc said:

I would suggest using these in the gym - pull up bar or smith machine. These are steadier than door anchor as our doors seem to get filmsier through the years.

Actually for inverted bodyweight rows, good to start using the smith machine bar so that you can really target your posterior and bracing your core and get them stronger. The lower the bar, the more xiong it is. Can add weight plates on your chest to increase loading too. The TRX will introduce too much instability esp at the arm and shoulder joints which might not be most beneficial at the beginning.

Learn to walk first. Not run. Haha

I use the Smith machine bar to do what we used to do your inverted rows or what we call in primary school inclined flex arm hang. I've been doing for like a few months albeit I usually only use the gym once a week. Max twice. 

But the rings can introduce more heights and easier to train with better form.

Most universal or Smith machine pullup bars are too low. I can't do a proper hollow body position without moving my feet far forward. I guess its fine if u can do like multiple pullups already. But for someone just at the 0-2/3 range, I find it very hard to have pulling power. 

I almost always pull better with my knees flexed and my ankles pointing back which is the supposedly worst way to do a pullup lol. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

These rings are very good for inverted rows,  flexible with grip positions and width and can go deeper than bars,  but quite advance for dips.  To do dips with these rings, strong core and arm is essential,  and the rings will obstruct the push.  

The $85 dip bars at decathlon is quite a good investment if you have space for it.  I bought mine from taobao slightly cheaper,  and does it's job well.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But if pull ups is your intention,  the rings are good enough, it helps you with that pulling mind muscle connections.  ^_^

I don't really like to do dips or pushups for the last few years cos one of my elbow has a snapping ulnar nerve. It's always been there but it didn't use to snap as much. 

https://www.theinjurysource.com/post/snapping-ulnar-nerve

It doesn't give me problems but it can if it happens too often. Hence I seldom do any tricep stuff other than on the universal/cable machine. Cos that one no Bodyweight. 

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I don't really like to do dips or pushups for the last few years cos one of my elbow has a snapping ulnar nerve. It's always been there but it didn't use to snap as much. 

https://www.theinjurysource.com/post/snapping-ulnar-nerve

It doesn't give me problems but it can if it happens too often. Hence I seldom do any tricep stuff other than on the universal/cable machine. Cos that one no Bodyweight. 

There are many ways to build the triceps,  not confine to dips and push ups,  tho these are sure fire ways.  So pick exercises that suits your needs and enjoy doing them safely.  If it hurts you,  you know something is wrong,  stop.

If you don't enjoy it,  it won't work.  ^_^[laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
30 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Learn to walk first. Not run. Haha

I use the Smith machine bar to do what we used to do your inverted rows or what we call in primary school inclined flex arm hang. I've been doing for like a few months albeit I usually only use the gym once a week. Max twice. 

But the rings can introduce more heights and easier to train with better form.

Most universal or Smith machine pullup bars are too low. I can't do a proper hollow body position without moving my feet far forward. I guess its fine if u can do like multiple pullups already. But for someone just at the 0-2/3 range, I find it very hard to have pulling power. 

I almost always pull better with my knees flexed and my ankles pointing back which is the supposedly worst way to do a pullup lol. 

maybe the smith machine at my gym is a bit different. I can put the bar really high, actually high enough to do a pull up with bent legs. Or I can place it really low to around knee level.

I suggested using a stable Smith machine bar as it removes the instability part of a ring/TRX cable to better focus on your posterior when doing inverted rows. To me, the cable/TRX is more advanced as it requires more control.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

If I remember correctly, Behind Sheng Siong BLK 300 plus.

Yaya. That's the one I am thinking off. Behind sheng shiong. The only public fitness corner with rings i can find so far.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
10 hours ago, Giordanogavin said:

'Upgrade' my weekly jog from 5k to 6k.

image.png.8785f3bad466f6e213c5298c81e9142a.png

wah… trail running still can go so fast pace 4 min per km

👍💪

• Praise 2

Went to NB nex outlet yest. Managed to get some clearance or off season shoes for my wife.

Had to get a size 7.5 medium/normal width. The wide models no sizes available. Not the nicest color or cheapest at 110. But serves its purpose. 

• Praise 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:35 AM, Enye said:

wah… trail running still can go so fast pace 4 min per km

👍💪

Try to catch up with Mr165 pace but i guess still smell smoke and dust 🤪

Hypersonic
38 minutes ago, Giordanogavin said:

Try to catch up with Mr165 pace but i guess still smell smoke and dust 🤪

err… better to try to catch ender guru

his 5km pace is 👍💪.  

your pace already faster than mine le if you go all out on smooth roads

😬😅

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, Enye said:

his 5km pace is 👍💪.  

😬😅

So many fit zai here. 😂

• Haha! 2

(edited)
37 minutes ago, 13177 said:

So many fit zai here. 😂

not me. on tuesday, i was doing 8:50-9:20 per km over 4km to keep my HR within 140. My last lap was average HR of 143 already :mellow:
And its 730-8+ and not sunny.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

not me. on tuesday, i was doing 8:50-9:20 per km over 4km to keep my HR within 140. My last lap was average HR of 143 already :mellow:

same here, I keep my heart rate at 140 - 150 when I run. my tracker buzzes me when my heart rate exceeds 160. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
14 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

5 minutes ago, Blueray said:

same here, I keep my heart rate at 140 - 150 when I run. my tracker buzzes me when my heart rate exceeds 160. 

Any reason to keep heart rate within 140 - 150?

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Enye said:

his 5km pace is 👍💪.  

😬😅

That pace is in the past., After getting hit by hyperthyroidism, no longer can run fast liao. Now a 5:30 pace for 5km is already near my limit. Just training to endure longer at  6min pace would be my goal for the coming SCSM.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Blueray said:

I tried over 3 months to keep my average running HR at 14X. Pace was very slow. And I did not see any improvement to run time or stamina after that. So I just switched back to OTOT, finish as fast as possible. But it is also because I only run 2x a week, so maybe OK in the longer run. If I run 6X a week, maybe I will adopt a 140X HR run.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
55 minutes ago, Ender said:

That pace is in the past., After getting hit by hyperthyroidism, no longer can run fast liao. Now a 5:30 pace for 5km is already near my limit. Just training to endure longer at  6min pace would be my goal for the coming SCSM.

I think dengue also impacted my running stamina. Heart palpitations are more frequent now (vs pre-dengue) but getting less with time. So I see that as improvement and snail pace recovery.